Off Topic Messages

Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:53 am

Another problem I have with Norton is the fact that, after installing the 2005 Security Suite, all my network connections disappeared. I soon discovered that it was because of Norton's Firewall and Intrusion Detection. It blocked the remote computer trying to access the main one, because it was on a port normally used by trojans. I didn't ask it to do this! Subsequently I checked and all my network connections had vanished. I now have to disable Norton and re-instate them, making sure that Norton doesn't delete them again.

Norton, by its very nature, is system-heavy, and consequently other programs which really should be running on their own are not, because Norton is still running in the background even when you disable it. Reboot and it comes back, even when disabling it on startup in msconfig. I use Cubase a great deal, and this has alot of plugins so even with a 2Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM I need all the power I can get. But no, I have to go through the arse of making sure Norton is DEFINITELY switched off before I can think of recording music with minimum latency.

That said, as Genesim points out, in this day and age you need something that protects your system at all times. But I just wish Norton was a little less sneaky about the way in which it operates.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:07 am

Stephen Butler wrote:Indeed Ad-Aware is probably the best of the freebies, if it weren't so bloody difficult to delete the files once it has found them. Microsoft are also beta-testing one which is pretty good.

I thought you had to check each box separately too, but then discovered you can simply right click on a box and select, "Select All".

Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:55 pm

Stephen.

Is Norton 2005 the first time you've used it or did you also have a Norton 2004 disc?

Did you have Norton Internet Security Suite 2004? and if you did, did you have the same problems as you are getting with Norton 2005?

I think there is a bit of a CPU problem with the 2005 version, I just re-installed windows so i just reinstalled my 2004 version (I have found (like Steve said in an earlier post) that if you format you HD it lets you re-install Norton 2004 with full a new full year subscription.... and therefore it's just as secure as the 2005 version, except it might not be as power hungry as the 2005 version.

Thinking about it though, i don't think there's any need to be as drastic as to Format C: ........There must be a way around it as Norton 2004 must store a file in windows somewhere, which if you delete it......It will let you do a re-install with full 1 yr subscription......We just need to find where that particular folder is......My suspicion is that it's in the prefetch folder...A mate of mine is a computer whiz-kid so i am going to try to see if he can find out.

Sq

Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:18 pm

For some things, I typically don't like to steal. Still it is damn expensive.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:23 pm

It ain't stealing at all Gene brother.....It's simply extending your subscription :oops:

LOL

Sq

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:54 am

Squirrel:

I did use Norton Internet Security 2004, but let it lapse when the subscription ran out. It was still fairly system-intensive, but as I remember it was lacking some of the options that the 2005 edition has, such as Intrusion Detection and the Outbreak Alert, and it is these that may be slowing down the system more than it used to, particularly, as I think I mentioned before, it wiped my home network off my computer because it was using the same port that trojans "probably" use. Now, whether I change ports or not, I've still got to restore my network thanks to Norton.

The other problem I have with it is, even if you disable it on startup, it still seems to come back of its own accord into the boot procedure, slowing the system down again and forcing bootup, particularly the taskbar, to take forever. So I go through the whole procedure again, disabling Norton, rebooting, then everything is fine for a few days, then - pow! - Norton is back.

What happened was I got an email in Outlook. This, as you know, means even accidentally highlighting the heading is effectively opening it. It was from a "software company", advertising cheap software, the kind you get spammed with all the time. Deleting the email above it meant Outlook highlighted that email and the next thing I knew I was invaded with 250 pieces of spyware. Took out my desktop and everything. I try to keep background programs to a minimum as I use Cubase which is very CPU heavy. So no spyware programs picked these things up. They were able to delete them (eventually) but I decided to download Norton from the Symantec site because I thought I had better have something running to stop this in future. At the very least, Norton does install itself into Outlook to scan emails before they get to you.

At the end of the day you gotta make your choice - have a nice, freeflowing computer system that gets hacked every five minutes, or keep Norton running and have it ask you every three seconds if it's OK to save one of your own documents.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:13 am

Point well taken Squirrel.

Stephen maybe the answer is to have two computers..one for work, and the other for the internet. This all is a nasty business. For me, my arcade take a hit in speed sometimes and this always has been a dillema.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:24 am

This is very strange Stephen, in both cases.....I'm probably as baffled to hear about your problems with Norton, as you are to hear of my problem free experiences with it

Surely there must be a way to figure out why it behaves in such totally different ways on two different pc's.........this problem must be very common....I've never even had a look on Norton's website to look at what the feedback is regarding these problem's you get, but i'm gonna have a look tonight to see just how many others are getting these probs...........BTW- Have u tried Zone Alarm Internet Suite?

Sq