Off Topic Messages

The best Security Software available??

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just need some advice and some members on here hopefully will be able to help.

Since getting Broadband i was told i needed a good security software package so i got Nortons.I wasnt really that pleased with it so i got Mcfee which was ok until the upgrades ran out so i downloaded a few trial ones off the internet.

Which ones do you think are the best to get??

Sean

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:26 pm

I have a second computer that is overun...I am finally getting some control, but I am really looking into this alternative! I hear it will end all my troubles:

Seriously...get Lavasoft AdAware..and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both work together nicely, and they are FREE and reputable.

If you have the money I suggest buying it for the Ad Watch program which basically keeps you from getting the stuff in the first place.

A quick fix is to set you browser on high security turning off cookies for a while. If you have Norton...block traffic till you see what the problem is.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:36 pm

Hi genesim,

Yeah, tried the first option on my last pc.It worked but for some strange reason i couldnt switch it back on. :lol:

I,ll try Lavasoft and Spybot. Thanks for your help.

Sean

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:39 pm

Sean,
Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch have worked great for me.

Tom

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Ad-watch and Panda Antivirus!
No virus and spy problems in my computer.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:10 pm

Indeed Ad-Aware is probably the best of the freebies, if it weren't so bloody difficult to delete the files once it has found them. Microsoft are also beta-testing one which is pretty good.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:29 pm

The overall consensus is ad aware for sure..

But just to note, I just used Spybot and it got rid of 84 instances that Adaware didn't. One such that it always snags is Wild Tangent. This is one that is lost on Norton and Adaware, but it is still nasty nonetheless. I am a fan of getting as much competition that I can.

To me it is ludicrous how Ad aware has even buckled on a few things. Companies pay them money..and then they remove the threat detection. To me adware is screwed up and it like someone bugging you on the phone. It should not be legal, but then they try to categorize it as door to door stuff. Well at leat with that, you can tell him to go away without having to resort to a 3rd party. The internet business is nasty with lots of loop holes.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:21 am

Hey here is one that I think you might need the most.

Its by Microsoft and it got what 4 others programs didn't get. Considering they just won a huge lawsuit, I would give it a try. It gives you the option of sharing the information about the spam to a web ring. You don't have to do it, but I think it is nice. I myself support Microsoft because it is they that want to keep their product alive.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

I downloaded it and I like the interface alot. I think this could be the next Lavasoft. It removed a big problem I had with the computer that Lavasoft, Norton, Spywareblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy..couldn't find!

It tries to access cfgrmgr52.dll. It is NASTY. It took forever to pinpoint it. Finally!

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 am

Ad-aware and Spybot are well worth using, but they don't provide a complete solution. You'll need a proper firewall and anti-virus programme running at all times. Personally, I favour Norton Internet Security. What trouble did you have with it that turned you off it?

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:29 am

I agree..Norton is the best and MCCafee I heard doesn't have as strong a following. Still either are good. NIS just has more support.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 am

genesim wrote:I agree..Norton is the best and MCCafee I heard doesn't have as strong a following. Still either are good. NIS just has more support.

I think one reason is that earlier versions of McAffee caused all kinds of unusual conflicts with certain programmes and left people with more aggravation than before they installed it. It's probably fine now, but a lot of people (myself included) were put off for good.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:53 am

Mccafee has improved though and both softwares have their plus and minuses. Kind of like Coke and Pepsi now. Norton gives me headaches from time to time..and I advise against their Clean Sweep Suite. But as far as Antivirus, it really has saved me alot of times. I just hate renewing. :evil:

Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:02 am

You don't have to renew Norton, you can cheat.

Partition your drive, save all your files to the secondary drive and every year re-format your C drive and re-install windows afresh.

When you install Norton again it gives you a new year all over again. :lol:

You will need to go and get a years worth of updates though and even with DSL that might take a few hours.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:59 pm

Genesim:

That Microsoft one is the one I was talking about. Thanks for providing the link.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:40 pm

norton screws up your computer. don't use it. everything slows down. and as soon as you toss it, your computer suddenly gets much faster.

i have mcafee on this computer. it works best that i can tell.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:29 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:norton screws up your computer. don't use it. everything slows down. and as soon as you toss it, your computer suddenly gets much faster.

i have mcafee on this computer. it works best that i can tell.

It's true that Norton isn't a good choice for a low spec machine as it does use up quite a lot of resources. If you have a good amount of RAM (eg at least 256mb), it shouldn't cause a problem.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:40 am

Yes I agree. Norton is for high end. It slowed my 500 down..but my 2.6 gig+ is just fine. Same for the 2.4 gig.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:12 am

by slow down, i mean crash. and all my computers are loaded with ram. and it never prevented my downstairs computer from being loaded with viruses. albeit this was a few years ago. i've pretty much given that computer to my dad. even my dad pretty much dumped norton because it was such a problem.

or perhaps it was just that computer. but when i was in georgia this same conversation came up and a lot of people said that they'd had problems with norton.

this computer has mcafee and it seems to have no problems. everyday it scans itself.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:by slow down, i mean crash. and all my computers are loaded with ram. and it never prevented my downstairs computer from being loaded with viruses. albeit this was a few years ago. i've pretty much given that computer to my dad. even my dad pretty much dumped norton because it was such a problem.

or perhaps it was just that computer. but when i was in georgia this same conversation came up and a lot of people said that they'd had problems with norton.

this computer has mcafee and it seems to have no problems. everyday it scans itself.

The current Norton Internet Security package is very reliable. It certainly won't lead to a computer being loaded with viruses or cause crashing. I've used it on three computers with no adverse effects. I've no idea how efficient it was several years ago though as I only started using Norton in 2003.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am

Like I said before, it was the Norton Clean Sweep Suite that was terribly buggy. This came with Norton anti-virus as well.

The virus protection program itself is the #1 by far.

Though it is all about preference. McCafee is certainly a good alternative. They are pretty much neck in neck now. Though adware is the flavor of the day and unfortunately neither are as good as freeware is at combatting this crap. I say use a combination of Norton/McCafee and Lavasoft, and you are protected well.

Microsofts is promising though. I am very pleased so far.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am

Thank you Genesim and Stephen butler.

I installed the Microsoft Beta.

Wow! very fast. Easy to use and did find problems the others had missed.

A very worthwhile program. And the best.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:59 pm

Alan:

I am surprised more noise isn't being made about the Microsoft program. It is by far the easiest to use of the freeware programs, and picks up alot of stuff that even Adaware misses, or finds hard to deal with. I guess probably because it is still in the beta testing phase.

The main problem with Norton is that it hogs so much of your system on startup. In addition, every time a legitimate program tries to access the internet, Norton pops up and asks you if you really want to do this. A real pain in the bum. But then, I suppose it's a choice between that or having your system riddled with spyware and viruses, an even bigger pain in the bum.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:52 pm

Install the program from this url:http://www.hitmanpro.nl

Believe me, its the best.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:19 pm

Stephen I would rather have them ask...then just do it! Sometimes there are legit programs that you have just installed that need internet access. If it just blocked it, then how would that be right.

Though you are right about it being a startup system hog..but then again how else are you gonna fight a virus on dos level?

The thing that bugs me is how Norton has a problem in safe mode. That makes no sense. Even Lavasoft can scan right away. Though for people wondering, viruses and adware are two different animals. Lavasoft is not a virus fighter, so you have to pay(or in some cases I guess not :wink: ), to play.

3577 I have heard of hitman, but damn, I 4 adware protectors going now and I think I have overkilled at that. lol

Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:42 am

I've tried McAffee, Zone Alarm Internet Suite, and Norton Internet Security Suite.

McAffee slowed my pc to a grinding halt almost.
As did Zonealarm

Norton didn't slow down my pc at all........It's fine, and i didnt notice anything different about the way my pc runs.

With Norton running i can transfer a full 4.7 gb dvd image from one (120gb- 7200 rpm) hard drive to another in 4 mins.

With Zone Alarm running it was taking 39 mins :shock:.
And with McAffee it was taking about 35 mins :shock:

I think these issues are related to all sorts of things eg:

Hard Drive speeds, Motherboard, Bus Speeds on Motherboard, Operating System, RAM etc.

My system is running Windows XP Pro
Athlon XP2000 Processor
1gb RAM
Motherboard speed up to 133 mhz
Two 120gb (7200 rpm) HD's, and two 180gb (7200) HD's.

And like i said i've had no probs whatsoever with Norton Internet Security Suite.

Sq