Off Topic Messages

Attention Norwegians - Buying cd's from cdnow (amazon.com)!

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:40 pm

Attention my fellow Norwegians! :lol:

When ordering cds/ dvd's from cdnow.com (amazon.com) on the Internet;

Is there a Customs limit when buying/ importing items to Norway?
I guess there is...

Do you know the "limit" in Norwegian money?
Can't find anything about amounts on the info from amazon, only "general restrictions and guidance"...

I haven't ordered any items from amazon yet, but it sure is tempting in some cases, both regarding availability of "old"/ hard to get cds and dvds, not to mention the low prizes...

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:44 pm

If they have the item too, order from Amazon.co.uk or amazon.de which will save you on import duties and taxes.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:00 pm

Luuk wrote:If they have the item too, order from Amazon.co.uk or amazon.de which will save you on import duties and taxes.

Aha, so http://www.amazon.com is shipped from the US,
while the 2 url's you mentioned is located in Europe?

And there is different Customs rules between them?

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:10 pm

Great-Britain and Germany as well as Norway are in the EEC. There is free traffic of goods within the EEC.
The USA is not part of the EEC so there are import duties/taxes to be paid when the mailman delivers a parcel.
Best thing to do is to order not too many items in one purchase.
If you buy 1 item per day, each item will be mailed separate and there is a chance you get it mailed free from import duties/taxes.
But you can always ask information from your country's Customs and Taxes organisation!

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Luuk / Kristian

Norway has never been in the EEC / the EU.

It is a member of the EEA. I don't know what that means regarding customs though.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:24 pm

You beat me to it, Torben! :lol:

Norway has never been a part of the European Union!

But I believe that there are certain agreements between Norway and the EU countries, also when it comes to importing cd's and stuff like that...

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:25 pm

I think our friends at Customs & Excise have higher priorities than a couple of CD's. Just don't buy a couple of hundred! :D

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:31 pm

Kristian

This is from the English Wikipedia:

The EEA is based on 4 "freedoms"; the free movement of goods, persons, services and capital between the EEA countries.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:31 pm

Delboy wrote:I think our friends at Customs & Excise have higher priorities than a couple of CD's. Just don't buy a couple of hundred! :D

I wouldn't bet on it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When it comes to preserving Customs rules and milking us hard working citizens for taxes and toll fees, Norway has to be one of the most bizarre countries to live in!

Don't even get me starting on the situation regarding importing cars and how much that costs... :wink:

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:35 pm

Torben wrote:Kristian

This is from the English Wikipedia:

The EEA is based on 4 "freedoms"; the free movement of goods, persons, services and capital between the EEA countries.

So we have 2 candidates for conclusion here:

1. Importing goods from a EEA country to another EEA country is FREE.
2. Importing goods to a EEA country from a EEC country would be... also FREE, or...?

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:48 pm

Kristian

Don't know if you missed this: All EEC/EU countries are members of the EEA.

Thus, if the first conclusion is true, conclusion #2 is automatically true, too.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:27 pm

Torben wrote:Kristian

Don't know if you missed this: All EEC/EU countries are members of the EEA.

Thus, if the first conclusion is true, conclusion #2 is automatically true, too.

Okay, thanks for pointing that out! :D

Br
Kristian

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 70-0412452

this is the link for the UK, but I`d take the advice of starting off with a small order and see how it goes, if your customs and excise are like the uk, the ammount cost wise you can import is very little, before they clobber you with tax..good luck :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: