The Premiership! Where will it go??

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

Once again....Newcastle..Nil points..watch your back Souness....I predict the 29th Aug will be your last day....sorry :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Rusty,

Who will Newcastle replace Souness with?? All the good premiership managers are taken!

Kristian Hjelmaas

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

Why not re-assign good ol' Robson? :wink:

Give Souness a few more matches, and if things pick up - let him stay with the job.

If not - prepare Alan Shearer to take the wheel..?

Looks like Chelsea and Man U already have set the standard for the rest of the bunch, both teams conceived no goals against them, and looking strong forward...

Br
Kristian

TJ

Post by TJ »

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
Looks like Chelsea and Man U already have set the standard for the rest of the bunch, both teams conceived no goals against them, and looking strong forward...

Br
Kristian
Chelsea looked quite flat against a 10-man Spurs I thought, and were actually outplayed for parts of the game. It had the makings of an interesting clash, but the referee ruined that with what seemed a pretty harsh sending off less than 30 mins in.

Kristian Hjelmaas

TJ wrote:
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:

Br
Kristian
Chelsea looked quite flat against a 10-man Spurs I thought, and were actually outplayed for parts of the game. It had the makings of an interesting clash, but the referee ruined that with what seemed a pretty harsh sending off less than 30 mins in.
Yes, Chelski was lucky on that decision! But I guess that's the luck a winning team gets during a good run...

They weren't great against Wigan, either. But typically they won it in extra time...

Br
Kristian

Stephen Butler

Post by Stephen Butler »

Rusty:

Newcastle don't have nil points, they have one point. What they have is nil goals! They are going all out to sign Owen, the desperate need is there for all to see. Owen apparently arrives on Tyneside today for talks - ominously, however, he will also be talking to Liverpool.

The mark of a great side is not always the impressive games where they win by a cricket score, but those games where they play badly and still manage to claim the points. Man Utd did this yesterday, and Chelsea have done it in all but one of their games. What it shows is luck, as well as talent, is on their side.

Newcastle, much as I love them, don't win anything because they always fall to pieces in key games. We've been over this before, so I don't need to again, but I am beginning to wonder whether a change of manager might not be a good idea. Certainly the preferred option would be that the "sack the board" song you hear at all the home games so far becomes a reality.

But it is also down to key players. The manager cannot help what goes on on the pitch if players are too petulant to respond. Of this current shower, perhaps the crowd should be shouting "sack Ameobi, Jenas, Dyer, Bramble, Bowyer, Boumsong and Babayaro!" I, along with any supporter, would rather see them replaced by players of minimal talent giving their all than a bunch of lazy multi-millionaires getting paid for being spoilt little children.

Still, and I'm sorry about this Keith, in spite of scoring no goals at all, we still find ourselves above Sunderland in the league, who have at least scored some goals, but find themselves genuinely pointless.

Stephen Butler:

Special Elvis Agent At Large

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

Delboy wrote:Rusty,

Who will Newcastle replace Souness with?? All the good premiership managers are taken!
Thats just it....who would take on the job? I dont think Shearer is ready for management just yet, and his playing days are definitely are closing fast, he missed quite a few passes yesterday, seemed very unaware and flat footed, very sad to see, he should have stuck to his original decision to go last season :wink:

Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

I feel bad for poor Owen. I think he is such a greta player. But he´s playing in a team full of vedettes instead of players, so merchandising goes before than quality (even though in Real Madrid play 5 or so of the 10 greatest players of the last decade)

BTW, is Newcastle that rich to pay for Luque and now wanting to hire Owen?

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

I hope now that Owen has signed for Newcastle(4 years), that the supporters will not expect miracles, but that it will give the team a much need boost..here`s hoping :wink:

Kristian Hjelmaas

Rusty Martin* wrote:I hope now that Owen has signed for Newcastle(4 years), that the supporters will not expect miracles, but that it will give the team a much need boost..here`s hoping :wink:

If Graeme Souness had the world's 11 best players at hand, I'm sure that he still would have managed to screw up the team!!! :roll: :lol:

Br
Kristian

This fellow hasn't bought, and will not buy or trade for the circulating EOT outtakes.

He's confident that Turner/MGM/EPE/BMG (or whoever's sitting on the rights) pretty soon will give us the ultimate Elvis On Tour DVD box-set.
Preferably as a 3 DVD edition, including the complete Hampton Roads show.

I can dream, can't I..?

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Has Owen signed?? :shock: Wow! What a coup for Souness and co. It just goes to show how much influence Shearer has at the club. 8)

Kristian Hjelmaas

Yes, he's signed for 4 years.

Only the obligatory health check (today) remains.

Br
Kristian

This fellow hasn't bought, and will not buy or trade for the circulating EOT outtakes.

He's confident that Turner/MGM/EPE/BMG (or whoever's sitting on the rights) pretty soon will give us the ultimate Elvis On Tour DVD box-set.
Preferably as a 3 DVD edition, including the complete Hampton Roads show.

I can dream, can't I..?

Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

It looks that Newcastle is very rich. They offered 38 million € for Atletico Madrid´s forward, Fernando Torres, and the Spanish club refused. Morons.

Stephen Butler

Post by Stephen Butler »

This is indeed fantastic news - possibly equal to that of the signing of Shearer in 1996, the only difference being that at least Shearer chose Newcastle - for Owen there seemed little choice. However Owen is one of the best professionals out there, and I have no doubt that, whatever happens, he will do his best for Newcastle for as long as he is there.

A few notes of caution: first, as we know, Owen is only at Newcastle because he needed to play in a World Cup season. As a result, all sorts of rumours are already flying about various get-out clauses in his contract, other than the standard relegation one (this may well have to be invoked - we shall see).

Secondly, Owen is rather injury-prone. How I laughed when he spent so much time in the treatment room at Liverpool. Now it won't be so funny. Kind of reminds me of when we sold Jonathan Woodgate to - guess who? - Real Madrid over a year ago and he is only now able to make his debut.

Thirdly, and perhaps most crucially, it is vital that the manager and the rest of the team pull their weight behind Owen. He is not a one man team but a bloody good goalscorer who needs service and a team giving their all behind him.

But praise should be due to the much-maligned Freddy Shepherd, who basically gambled a hell of a lot of money on this deal, and to Alan Shearer, who did everything possible to persuade Michael Owen to sign.

Stephen Butler:

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Delboy -

You wrote:
DISCLAIMER:
I Delboy, have no interest (financial or artistic), stake or knowledge of the rumoured EOT outtakes.
I have no idea of the content, quality of this footage or even if it exists.

In fact, I haven't even seen the original movie!
I'm not even an Elvis fan!
You really should hunt down a copy of the original EOT.

Even though you might not be an Elvis fan, there is a hilarious bit where they talk to some old guy about an elevator which is worth the price of the whole thing.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Kristian Hjelmaas

Looks like Newcastle at last found themselves!

At least Shearer and Owen found each other, in the trashing of Blackburn this weekend... :wink:

I bet ol' Souness smiled all the way around his head, achieving this result!

In the other end of the table, Chelsea look like champs already.
They are NOT unbeatable, but it's starting to seem like the rest of the clubs think so..?

Disappointing match between L'pool and Man U, though.
I guess these matches have too much prestige about them to become real goal busters anymore!?

Br
Kristian

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

In a couple of years Ipswich Town will be among the top 4...! That´s my team. :)

Sincerely MB280E

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Aaaah the Tractor boys! :D They were unlucky last season, just failing to get the last automatic spot. If you fail there the play-offs are a lottery. Look at West Ham. They finished 6th last season and won the play-offs now they're 4th in the premiership!

Chelsea's fine start looks ominous for the rest. Six games, six wins, no goals conceded. It's too early to start saying the race is over but six points clear of the second placed team and twelve points clear of Arsenal and it's only September! :shock:

Good win for the bar codes (Newcastle :D ), if they get on a run they could quickly climb the table.

And as for Liverpool vs Man U I think they've found a cure for insomnia. Dreadful match. :(

Kristian Hjelmaas

MB280E wrote:
In a couple of years Ipswich Town will be among the top 4...! That´s my team. :)

Sincerely MB280E
Ipswich had a fantastic team around 1980!

With players like John Wark, Arnold Muhren, Mick Mills, Paul Mariner, Frans Thijsen etc they could beat anyone in their prime!

I remember they trashed Man United 6-0 one time in those days...
I wasn't too happy, to say the least! :oops: :wink:

Ipswich darned near won the League in 1982, wasn't it..?
Only beaten by Aston Villa, if I remember correctly..?

But they won the UEFA cup instead, bringing some very deserved silver ware to their trophy room! :D

Ahhh, those were the days, when English football was really English!!!
Too bad those days are gone...

Br
Kristian

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Ahhh, those were the days, when English football was really English!!!
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:With players like John Wark, Arnold Muhren, Frans Thijsen etc!
:D :D :D :wink:

Kristian Hjelmaas

Delboy wrote:
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Ahhh, those were the days, when English football was really English!!!
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:With players like John Wark, Arnold Muhren, Frans Thijsen etc!
:D :D :D :wink:
Heheheh! :lol:

Maybe I should have said British! Although the foreigners had started to arrive around 1980...

What I meant was that back in those days, it was 99% English, Scottish, Irish or Welch players (with a few dutch and Argentine additions), and the football played was in the drivers seat, not the ridiculous high money, not the commercial value, not the TV stations, not the rich uncles from Russia or the US or whatever... And the players didn't wear Gucci clothes or makeup either!!! :wink:

It was a great era. Sadly, all the elements around the football game has now taken over.
English Premier League is still great, but much of the magic is gone.

And maybe the most important thing: Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s, when a player signed for a club, he stayed in that club! And he was willing to bleed for his shirt!
The punks nowadays hardly deserve a small size of their overpaid salaries...

Br
Kristian

Stephen Butler

Post by Stephen Butler »

Kristian wrote:Ipswich had a fantastic team around 1980!
And who was their manager at the time? Oh, it was...it's coming to me....nope, it's gone.

Speaking of foreign teams, who amongst you watched Bolton's game against Locomotiv Plonker the other night? The Bolton starting XI featured 11 players from 11 different countries.

Stephen Butler:

MB280E

Post by MB280E »

Bobby Robson. :)

The first match I saw them play (on Norwegian television) was against Notts County where they won 4-1. Must have been around 1978/79. I immediately became a supporter. :)

Sincerely MB280E

Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

mmmm.

The Premier ain´t showing a lot of tension. Chelsea is owning them all, I think the most interesting thing is if they would not win a match sometime and when they will be champions.

Arsenal seems to go downhill, and Henry is going to Barcelona for the next season.

Liverpool sucks, but hey, Benitez is a good coach, he won Champions last year.

Rooney should stop mocking referees :lol: :lol: :lol: . And BTW, it seems that Ruud is rising again.