Off Topic Messages

The Premiership! Where will it go??

Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:56 pm

Well Chelsea kicked off the season in fine style against a solid Arsenal team who don't seem to have suffered too much for the loss of Viera, though they still have to replace him. Chelsea had more talent on the bench than most premiership clubs can afford to have in the starting eleven. I personally can't see any further than Chelsea! Here'e my top three this year.....

1) Chelsea
2) Arsenal
3) Manchester Utd

As for the rest, I can't see Liverpool mounting a threat and I think Everton will tail off. Spurs could be threat with the arrival of Davids. If Newcastle get Owen, who knows??? My predictions for the European positions.....

4) Spurs
5) Liverpool
6) Newcastle Utd

Your tips........

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:40 pm

Having watched Newcastle crash out of Europe, I think you were being kind placing them at 6th place, they are having bother selling season tickets, Souness wants more new players....what happened to the ones that were going to improve the chances of silverware last year?

I have a feeling that we will end up very much lower than 6th this season..here`s hoping it will be better :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:42 pm

I didn't see the game in midweek so perhaps 6th is a bit optimistic. Also, they need to keep Jenas although I think the lure of Arsenal might be too great if Wenger comes in for him. If anyone manages to get Owen though (even on loan) there's a guarantee of goals. Owen and Shearer would certainly cut it for a year.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:49 pm

I reckon The West Coast Eagles will win. (Aussie Rules. the only game worthwhile)

:wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:55 am

English football have always meant something special for us Scandinavians.

My generation have grown up watching English football on Saturday afternoon since approx 1970, and "every" football fan living in Norway(soccer, for you Americans and Aussies...) with respect for themselves have a favorite English football team.

Mine has always been Man United.

I'm not very optimistic for Man United to retain the Premiership Crown neither this year, so I'm voting for this outcome when we write May 2006:

1. Chelsea
2. Liverpool
3. Man United
4. Arsenal

Hopefully I'm wrong! :lol:

Br
Kristian

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:42 am

Delboy:

As a diehard Newcastle fan, I hope you are right about your prediction. It is Shearer's last season, and Souness' priority must be to find a strike partner for him. I think Owen is a little optimistic, particularly since there is no European football for him. Although he might prefer the choice of playing every week as opposed to being third choice behind van Nistelrooy and Rooney at Man Ure.

Shay Given put it quite accurately during the week when he said Do the maths: Souness has sold six players and bought 2. Not the makings of a stronger squad, given the fitness of the 2 he has bought. We also need another quality centre back, and probably another left back too. It seems Newcastle are taking Chelsea's rejects in Parker and Babayaro, both of whom are yet to prove themselves.

Also, given Newcastle's track record with managers, I can't see Souness lasting the season if results don't go their way quickly.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:57 am

Stephen ....let me know if you ever travel north for a home match :wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:41 am

Rusty:

OK, will do.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:46 am

I think the top four will be:

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Man U

The pre-season for Spurs was quite impressive, including a 2-0 win over Porto on Saturday and 3-1 victory over Lyon. I can't see them making the top four this season, but a top six place seems realistic.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:06 pm

TJ:

I think you have got the top 4 spot on. It would be nice, however, if a side outside of the usual suspects made it into the Champions League places, as Everton did last season. Obviously I would rather it was Newcastle, but you might be right about Tottenham. They finished strongly last season and have been impressive in their recent friendlies.

But a number of teams will be asking: where will Michael Owen go? Newcastle? Unlikely - no European football, but an excellent chance to impress with the World Cup next year. Man Ure? Possible, but more time spent on the subs' bench than he would like? To my mind the most likely bet would be Everton, if they can get through the Champions League qualifiers this week.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:23 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:TJ:

I think you have got the top 4 spot on. It would be nice, however, if a side outside of the usual suspects made it into the Champions League places, as Everton did last season. Obviously I would rather it was Newcastle, but you might be right about Tottenham. They finished strongly last season and have been impressive in their recent friendlies.

But a number of teams will be asking: where will Michael Owen go? Newcastle? Unlikely - no European football, but an excellent chance to impress with the World Cup next year. Man Ure? Possible, but more time spent on the subs' bench than he would like? To my mind the most likely bet would be Everton, if they can get through the Champions League qualifiers this week.

Am I right in saying that Owen was an Everton supporter as a kid, before going to Liverpool? That would make it even more likely I suppose.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:39 pm

TJ:

Yes, he was. I just think that is why he is holding off an announcement, until we know which way Everton are going in Europe.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:51 pm

OK, is it just me or does anyone else not have a clue what these guys are talking about??

Tom

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:56 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:OK, is it just me or does anyone else not have a clue what these guys are talking about??

Tom

Soccer(what they call football)... I think... I'm not really sure either Tom! LOL :lol:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:00 pm

Tom -

I'm with you !

I guessed it was a sport, but which one ?

Took a few posts before it sunk in !

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:OK, is it just me or does anyone else not have a clue what these guys are talking about??

Tom

One of these days.. I`ll explain the off side rules to you..if you good that is 8) :wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 pm

Tom

One of these days.. I`ll explain the off side rules to you..if you good that is 8) :wink:

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:22 pm

JEFF d wrote:

Tom

Soccer(what they call football)... I think... I'm not really sure either Tom! LOL :lol:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Football is a sensible name for it of course, as the entire game is based on kicking the ball. Any clue why your game is called football when 90% of it is either throwing or running with the ball? :wink:

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:29 pm

Rusty Martin* wrote:One of these days.. I`ll explain the off side rules to you..if you good that is 8) :wink:

Forget that! I'll take the penalty! :wink:

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:35 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Rusty Martin* wrote:One of these days.. I`ll explain the off side rules to you..if you good that is 8) :wink:

Forget that! I'll take the penalty! :wink:

Careful...Colin might give you a red card :wink:

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:04 pm

I think the premiership will be as dull as ever - the only interest being the relegation battle, or if someone has a season like Everton last year.

I'll be keeping an eye on the conference to see if Stevenage Borough can get promoted (At last!!). They lost the playoff final to Carlisle last season.

Apart from that i'll be glued to the cricket - hopefully the boys can snatch back the ashes!!!!

Andrew

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:51 pm

AndrewJ wrote:I think the premiership will be as dull as ever - the only interest being the relegation battle, or if someone has a season like Everton last year.

I'll be keeping an eye on the conference to see if Stevenage Borough can get promoted (At last!!). They lost the playoff final to Carlisle last season.

Apart from that i'll be glued to the cricket - hopefully the boys can snatch back the ashes!!!!

Andrew

Not a lot to look forward to then Andrew :wink:

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 pm

I don't know what's dullest (or should I say more dull?) - cricket or american football... :wink: :lol:

The Premiership, on the other hand...!!! :lol:

Br
Kristian

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:09 pm

I can't see anyone beating Chelsea this season. Even Drogba looks like a decent player now! They've got such a tremendous depth in their squad that they can afford to lose several key players and still dominate. You need only look at their subs bench - or even beyond that - to see that.

Can Arsenal finish second without Vierra? Probably because he was ineffective last season. They haven't made that many signings but still have a brilliant squad.

It'll be between Man Utd and Liverpool for the third spot, but if they can capture some consistency either could aim a little higher. Man Utd look quite good. Van de Saar is a fine stopper, they seem to have their defence sorted and van Nistellroy (good lord, I must be spelling all these names wrong!), Ronaldo and Rooney are as fine a strike force as any in the league. And if they buy Owen....... Then again, Keane and Giggs are getting on a (big) bit now.

Liverpool have made some good signings with Reina and Zenden etc. Morientes seems to be settling and by keeping Gerrard and (more importantly imo) Carragher, they should be ecstatic. Carragher was immense in Europe last season and him and Gerrard have a brilliant understanding when they play.

Reckon Spurs are the outsiders to do an Everton! (My beloved team who won't reach the heights of last season, but should secure a top 8 place).

As for relegation, I believe that it'll be goodbye to Wigan, Fulham and West Brom.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:54 am

On paper, Chelsea definately have the best squad.

They have a big challenge to face though:

As far as I can remember now, only Man United (in fact on several occasions during their golden era 1993-2003), has succeeded in defending a championship in the last 20 years or so..!?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here!

This season everybody is aiming to beat Chelsea, and if Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool gets rolling, it might be that some of them actually can make it to the very top!

Spurs may very well be a dark horse this upcoming season!

Everton will struggle - anything else will be a positive surprise.

Wigan will have to fight like lions to survive at the bottom.

Just some thoughts...

Br
Kristian