Off Topic Messages

Sorrow

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:57 pm

Our family dog Benny got attacked by an aggressive dog on Monday.
He had to be put to sleep on Tuesday, because he wouldn't have survived the operation.
I am glad I got the chance to be there with him until the end. We expected to take him home alive, so one of my regrets is, that I couldn't play him Elvis. The ballads always appeared to relax him. We burried him yesterday. 13 years of good memories will never fade. I am sad beyond comforting, but when I came to the forum today, some of the posts really cheered me up. So thank you for that.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:19 pm

Melanie -
Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. I've got 2 dogs whom I love dearly, their names are Madeline (Maddy) and Blackjack. The next door neighbor's dogs have kind of adopted me, and will follow me around when I'm outside.
For those of us who are animal lovers losing a pet can be like losing a loved one.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:31 pm

I am sorry for your loss. Do take some time to check mail.

Losing a loved one being human or animal is terrible. I am glad that you shared the pics. Take it one day at a time.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:07 am

i'm so sorry to hear that. i know what it's like to lose a pet, i know how you feel

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:06 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Melanie.

What about the dog that attacked yours; I hope it's been taken by the authorities or was shot dead for it's actions!

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:44 am

I'm so sorry Melanie......

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:57 am

As a passionate dog owner, I know that Benny wasn't just a pet, but a beloved family member. Try to keep your spirits up.

As the book says, dogs never lie about love. And it's clear that Benny certainly loved you. I send you good thoughts today.

DJC

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:47 pm

Thank you for all the notes. I greatly appreciate them.

Benny came into my life when he was just 3 month old, I was 9 years old. My grandparents had bought him and the very first time I saw him, I knew how much he would mean to me and how close we would become. I was overwhelmed and cry tears of joy. Tiny how he was, he came over and licked my face.

He never destroyed any furniture or anything, just his stuffed animals. I nicknamed one Elvis. He always stole my socks, tried to, which I didn't mind. Always knew my mind and what mood I was in, before any person did. Would see me to the door and waiting in the same spot when I got home. He was a hunting breed. Friendly, fearless, alert, and obedient, headstrong and fit. There was a willingness to take the upper paw in the family when the opportunity presented itself. During extensive walks the instrinct maintained, never killing another animal, but often hunting up mice, partridges in fields, chasing them away. We had this game, where we would hide his favorite food all over the house and garden and he had to find it, it was a challenge. He loved to play ball. He absolutely loved the sight of snow and enjoyed himself running through the woods. Benny was unique and such a character, a friend and a protector, so trusting and loyal. Although of small stature he had a huge heart, very business like, but also full of fun. He could also be a good couch lizard.

Due to his age his heart wasn't the strongest anymore and we were told, that is probably why the other dog attacked him, animals pick weak animals, because they are easier to get. Benny would have usually defended himself, but not this time. At the vet it with something definitive and as if I had left my body and was watching the scene. It was heartbreaking, when the cat of the vet came in. She was actually afraid of dogs, because she had just had kittens, but when he was lying there on the floor, had gotten a sedative, she came and sat down close to him. I will never forget this sight, it is a moment frozen in time. I am grateful we had the opportunity to give him peaceful passage as needed, the strength to make the decision not to put him through suffering and have loved him enough to grieve. To burry him in the garden has helped me to accept, that he is no longer with us. But I miss his company intensely. The sense of loss gradually decreases over time, but certain things in the environment (eg smells, locations, sounds) will continue to trigger the sense of loss. Thirteen extremely short years.

It's one of life's humorless practical jokes. The Good Lord brings a dog like Benny into our lives but makes us suffer for the experience by taking him back. I know some that read this hold the belief that dogs have no souls. I will argue that God loves all His creations equally and would not reward some with the promise of a hereafter without doing the same for all. What is a soul after all? It is the capacity to feel, to know good from evil...to love.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:33 pm

Melanie:

I am so sorry to hear this. I have a cat, Bones, who is, sad but true, the light of my life. He is 9 years old. I think it is especially sad to lose an animal you have grown up with, and it is entirely natural to feel the loss. Humans love animals instinctively, and animals love humans back instinctively. So keep the memories and the photographs, and although you may well have other pets in the future, the special ones never fade.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:08 pm

Melanie,

my condolensces and we all pretty much feel the same.
I've experienced the sorrow of losing a beloved family Lab who as runt of a litter grew up on a farm and apple orchard. He was a great dog and well-behaved and he could walk with deer in the yard. The deer didn't spook. He was a peaceable creature.
But he was also a scrapper and as near as we can tell, one night he encountered a pack of coyotes on the wooded back acres and he put up a valiant dog fight but was outnumbered. He had scrapped with coyote before, and scared them off but the last time they brought more of their wild breed then before.

Life goes on, love goes on.

GG

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:11 am

I´m sorry.....I know what it is to lose a pet and it is not easy....

"......but if dogs have a heaven...there´s one thing I know, your dog has a wonderful home......."

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:01 am

This is very sad. Most of us have had pets leave us, and their loss is very difficult to deal with. My dog, Puddles, died in 1999 at the age of 11, and I miss her a lot to this day.

A dog's love is unconditional, and no matter what kind of day you had, they are just happy to see you.

You're in my thoughts...

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:19 pm

Im sorry to hear that, looks like you lost a good friend : I had to do that with my Doggie close to 20 years now, have never had a another " best friend" since then.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:52 pm

Benny and Toby.. may they chase their tails forever :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:18 am

Sorry to hear about your dog, best wishes and condolances