Off Topic Messages

Computers with DVD recordable drives

Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:31 pm

I am having a business transfer some old home movies on super-8 film to DVD. They put music on the DVD to go with the films. Someday I am sure I will have a DVD recordable drive, but I don't now. My question to those who know is; If I don't like the music this company puts with my home movies, could I make copies of my DVD on a computer and take off the sound all together, or add my own music instead? Would that be possible? Can the soundtrack of a DVD be changed when making a copy of it? Or to be on the safe side, should I tell this company to just leave the films silent in the first place.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:33 pm

Your best bet is to leave the music out or have two versions of the movie done - one with music, one without (depending on what you can afford).
Do your videos not have sound of their own? (ie. people talking, background noise, etc)
If you combine the original video sound with the music they will provide then no, you won't be able to lift their music from the DVD without eliminating the original sound from the video.
It's alot easier to add your own music choices to the digital movie files once they are transferred.
There's a lot of software available to do this and you don't need a DVD burner to add audio to digital movie files.
Leave the music out. That's my recommendation.

Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:14 am

Thanks for the advice Elvis-Fan. These are home movies from the 70's. They're silent films.

Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:27 am

Disconnect the speakers !

Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:58 am

Franscesc,

it's hilarious the way you log-in and hit a few posts with smart@ss comments then leave. Oh, what a productive contribution to so many topics.

ha ha ha :P

keep it up.

Can we go to your site and do the same? Return the favor :evil:

Re: Computers with DVD recordable drives

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:20 am

[quote="U.S. Male"]could I make copies of my DVD on a computer and take off the sound all together, or add my own music instead? Would that be possible? Can the soundtrack of a DVD be changed when making a copy of it? Or to be on the safe side, should I tell this company to just leave the films silent in the first place.[/quote]

Later if you want to make a dvd-r/w or dvd+r/w copy of your DVD you can make a copy of it w/o sound (or subtitles, extras etc.) with
Pinnacle InstantCopy. If you want a new soundtrack you'll have to re-encode and authorize the whole thing again. Visit http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ there are tons of manuals for different programs.