Off Topic Messages

More John Wayne DVD News **ARTWORK**

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:37 pm

A trailer on the newly released The High and The Mighty announces upcoming special editions of McLintock! and Hondo. Look for these two classic films on October 11th.

Tom
Last edited by Tom in North Carolina on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:02 am

Good news. :D

8)

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:12 am

Yes, this is indeed good news. Of all the John Wayne movies I love & admire, McKlintock is w/o a doubt my favorite! I wonder if any unreleased scenes will be included?

I also hope they will release a special version of The Green Berets!

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:48 pm

I've got several John Wayne movies on VHS, but so far none on DVD... :oops: :roll:

For those of you that might have both;
Compared to the remastered special editions on VHS of for instance The Searchers, Rio Bravo, El Dorado and so on:

Would you say that it's worth getting the dvd's?
Are the sound and picture significantly improved compared to the VHS versions?

Br
Kristian

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:19 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Would you say that it's worth getting the dvd's?

Drop what you're doing right now and run (DON'T WALK) to your nearest retailer and get these films on DVD!!!!!!!!! The audio and video are miles ahead of VHS!!! You will not be disappointed!!

Tom

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:28 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Would you say that it's worth getting the dvd's?

Drop what you're doing right now and run (DON'T WALK) to your nearest retailer and get these films on DVD!!!!!!!!! The audio and video are miles ahead of VHS!!! You will not be disappointed!!

Tom

I might just do that! :wink:

Br
Kristian

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:35 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:I might just do that!

No, you will do it! NOW!!!!!! Don't make me come over there!! This is the Duke we're talking about. Once you see the incredible difference in quality, you will curse each day you waited, then you'll probably go apesh!t and wipe out an entire restaurant with an AK-47, all the while screaming my name in vain. Quite frankly, I don't need that kind of pressure on me right now, so just go buy the damn DVD's. :wink:

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:10 pm

In my opinion, two of Duke's best films. For some reason, Hondo has always seemed to be underappreciated.

ImageImage

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:31 pm

A friend of mine is searching for the title of a movie with John Wayne together with Maureen O' Hara (i found several of the two together) and John Wayne is a Navy Officer, and he has an accident, falls from the stairs or something and he gets in a wheelchair... anybody know the title.?? There are a couple of hundred films on Amazon of Wayne but so far i couldn't find it...

Thanks.

Dennis.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:40 pm

Sounds like The Wings of Eagles from 1957 to me.

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:In my opinion, two of Duke's best films. For some reason, Hondo has always seemed to be underappreciated.

ImageImage

Tom

Well, hello Mrs Lowe.

You're right there Tom! McClintock can teach a thing or two about how to handle women! Great films.

Although i can't seem to find them in the UK

Andrew

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:03 pm

Andrew,
Hondo offers some of Duke's best acting, especially when you realize how much he truly HATED Geraldine Page. She apparently rarely bathed and had repulsive table manners. Wayne reportedly couldn't stand to be anywhere near her. Harry Carey Jr. once told me that they should have given Duke an Academy Award just for finishing the film.

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:07 pm

are these the last two owned solely by John Wayne? In other words are these gonna be the last of this restored series?

According to IMDB they are.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:30 pm

These are the last two that Michael Wayne was working on before his death. I have heard that more Special Edition DVD's of Wayne's films are coming, but none will get the incredibly personal attention that these last four have received.

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:35 pm

Tom Wrote:

Yep that must be the one! Not yet on DVD this one.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:52 pm

dennisdee wrote:Tom Wrote:

Yep that must be the one! Not yet on DVD this one.

No, but it's coming.

Tom

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:46 pm

TINC, "The Quiet Man". TINC, the quite modest man :lol:

http://press.xtvworld.com/modules.php?n ... e&sid=6197

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:09 pm

ImageImage

Tom

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:31 pm

TINC, Wonderful to see you are portraying yourself for all to see...and you just dont get it. But everyone else does although they may not admit it to me. :shock:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:34 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:TINC, Wonderful to see you are portraying yourself for all to see...and you just dont get it. But everyone else does although they may not admit it to me.

.........or apparently anyone else for that matter. Dream on.

Tom

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:39 pm

Keep it going the audience is growing :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 pm

No thanks.

Tom

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:07 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:These are the last two that Michael Wayne was working on before his death. I have heard that more Special Edition DVD's of Wayne's films are coming, but none will get the incredibly personal attention that these last four have received.

Tom

Tom, who is Michael Wayne - John's son? When did he pass away?

Rich

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:25 pm

Rich,
Michael Wayne was John's oldest son with his first wife Josephine. He produced many of his fathers films and took over Batjac after Duke's death in 1979. He was instrumental in the refurbishing of The High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, McLintock!, and Hondo. Tragically, he died in April of 2003 and was unable to complete the restoration work. His wife, Gretchen, (who is just a methodical and meticulous as Michael was) picked up where he left off and saw the restorations through to their completion. The payoff is seeing these classic films look and sound better than ever. McLintock! is (I'm told) absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!

Tom

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:32 am

Thanks for the info, Tom.

My Dad's not only a big fan of Elvis - but also of John Wayne.

I'm picking up those two new DVD's for his birthday next week (High And The Mighty, Island In The Sky).

So between the new FTD "Today" and the two John Wayne movies - he should be "clappy as a ham".

Rich