Off Topic Messages

Dwight Yoakam

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:32 am

Another great country artist is Dwight Yoakam.

He's been around for quite a few years now, after his Guitars Cadillacs etc etc debut in the mid 80s, and he still produce great country music!

His latest effort, Blame The Vain, is maybe his best for years!

Now, anyone here who's also heard this cd, noticed that ol' Dwight seems to have had his heart broken recently..?

Most, if not all of the songs, have a sad feeling about them, and the album title (not to mention the cover!) suggests that this is his way of "getting over" someone...

Nevertheless, it's a great cd, and I recommend it to the Country Music lovers among us! :wink:

Way to go, Dwight!

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:34 am

again. another favourite.....there is a lot of very good country out there :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:44 am

Rusty Martin* wrote:again. another favourite.....there is a lot of very good country out there :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes there is! :lol:

I've always been listening a lot to Country Music, from Hank to Hendrix, so to speak...

Hey! Let's throw in a little trivia right here! :lol: Who's got that song title in his repertoire? :lol:

Even if a lot of the so called Country Music played on today's radio hardly can be billed as country anymore, it's good to still have a few of the old school preserving the country music legacy!

Besides Dwight Yokam and Mark Chesnutt, George Strait, Alan Jackson and Travis Tritt immediately comes to mind...

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:56 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Even if a lot of the so called Country Music played on today's radio hardly can be billed as country anymore, it's good to still have a few of the old school preserving the country music legacy!

Besides Dwight Yokam and Mark Chesnutt, George Strait, Alan Jackson and Travis Tritt immediately comes to mind...

Br
Kristian

Hell Yeah! A lot of these guys are keeping real country, but even the big players like Tritt & Chesnutt have been having a real tough time when it comes to airplay in today's pop country world.....

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:03 am

It's a little bit sad that pop has infiltrated country music this much!

But like Randy Travis sang on his great debut album in the late 80s;

There'll Always Be A Honky Tonk... :wink: :lol:

Country Music in it's original form will never back down! :D

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:05 am

Dwight is my very favorite country artist! Ok him and Wynonna! lol anyways.... Blame The Vain is great! I love that CD... "she said I'll give you an Intenitonal Heartache, just like the one you left in me!" LOL LOL Good stuff! PUT DOWN THE SPRAY PAINT CONNIE!!!! I SAID PUT IT DOWN!!!!! lol :D

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:09 am

Yeah......it's amazing what passes for Country music these days. It seems that all you have to do is add a steel guitar to a pop song and wear a cowboy hat while you sing it and.......VOILA!!!!! You're a Country Artist!!!!

Charlie Rich's 1975 on-air protest of the awarding of the CMA Male Vocalist Of The Year to John Denver seems prescient now.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:13 am

I also happened to see Dwight on Imus in the morning on MSNBC. Dwight was on practicly the whole show and played probably almost every song from his new CD. Hes got a brand new band, Pete Anderson is no longer with Dwight or producing him... it seems to have really brought out a creative spark in Dwight, that is pretty exciting. His new 4 piece band totally rocks(you know what I mean, in a country way :) )

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:28 am

Kristian -

You wrote:
I've always been listening a lot to Country Music, from Hank to Hendrix, so to speak...

Hey! Let's throw in a little trivia right here! Who's got that song title in his repertoire?

Neil Young.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:54 am

Scatter wrote:Charlie Rich's 1975 on-air protest of the awarding of the CMA Male Vocalist Of The Year to John Denver seems prescient now.

I remember that like it was yesterday and recently saw it again on CMT. He took the envelope that declared Denver the winner of the Male Vocalist Of The Year and lit it with his cigarette lighter on stage at the Opry. Classic.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 am

ColinB wrote:Kristian -

You wrote:

Hey! Let's throw in a little trivia right here! Who's got that song title in his repertoire?

Neil Young.

You are absolutely right! :wink: :lol:

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:49 am

Travis Tritt is a pretty good guitarplayer. Nice version of T-R-O-U-B-L-E, although a will always prefer ElvisĀ“ version of course. :wink:

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:52 am

MB280E wrote:Travis Tritt is a pretty good guitarplayer. Nice version of T-R-O-U-B-L-E, although a will always prefer ElvisĀ“ version of course. :wink:

Sincerely MB280E

In addition to T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Travis Tritt have also done killer versions of Lawdy, Miss Clawdy and Burning Love.

They all kick ass!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:33 pm

Rob wrote:
Scatter wrote:Charlie Rich's 1975 on-air protest of the awarding of the CMA Male Vocalist Of The Year to John Denver seems prescient now.

I remember that like it was yesterday and recently saw it again on CMT. He took the envelope that declared Denver the winner of the Male Vocalist Of The Year and lit it with his cigarette lighter on stage at the Opry. Classic.

Man, the look on his face when he read John Denver's name and whipped out that lighter!! :lol: . Thing is......he had the credibility to do it.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:38 pm

The thing that I thought was priceless, was the look on Conway Twitty's face when they panned the audience.

Lord, what is he doing now?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm

This topic comes at an interesting time, because just three days ago I attended a Dwight Yoakam show in Watersmeet, Michigan. In fact, I had the good fortune of getting on his tour bus for a meet 'n greet--pics, etc. He has always been a favorite country artist of mine, and it was a blast getting to meet with him.

The show was awesome. He sounded great, and the band was tight. I wish he had done "Suspicious Minds," but he didn't. He DID do "Little Sister," however, and he really got into it, kicking his chair out from under him and proceeding to kick it twice more as it lay on the stage.

Many of his songs have a theme of loneliness and despair, but he pulls them off as well as anyone.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm

I saw that as well on the CMT......Twitty was shifting in his seat like his boxers were twisted.

Is it just me Rob.......or did Mr Rich seem loaded to you as well??

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:47 pm

Scatter wrote:...did Mr Rich seem loaded to you as well??...

Country music stars do NOT drink! :lol:

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:49 pm

I think in this particular case it was a well known fact that that 'ol Charlie had a sip or two before he went on.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:37 am

I wished I'd seen that clip of Rich lighting Denver's envelope. Sounds like a classic! Any idea if they'll replay it sometime? I catch CMT now and then when I have the time.

Is it just me or does anybody else out there really miss Waylon Jennings?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:24 am

The concert sounds great KHoots! I've seen him 3 times, and he is always good.

The Charlie Rich thing they have been showing on one of those CMT countdown shows, I can't remember which one, maybe most embarasing moments or something. He was drunk....

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:34 am

EagleUSA wrote:I wished I'd seen that clip of Rich lighting Denver's envelope. Sounds like a classic! Any idea if they'll replay it sometime? I catch CMT now and then when I have the time.

Hi Eagle! It's great to see you around a bit more lately!! You can see the clip on CMT's "The Class Of 1975". According to my TIVO (which I heartily recommend to anyone who doesn't yet have one), the only time it is going to show again in the near future is on 8/10 at 10:30 PM Eastern. Set your TIVO or VCR (for you stone-agers :lol: ), it really is worth seeing. As I said, Rich was absolutely prescient in his protest.

Is it just me or does anybody else out there really miss Waylon Jennings?

Eagle.......it's not just you,buddy. And I sure miss knowing Johnny Cash was still with us too :(

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:06 pm

Kristian -

I'm assuming that it was the same Dwight Yoakam who played that creepy 'baddie' role in The Panic Room with Jodie Foster.

No singing for him there !l

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:23 pm

He was also very good in "Slingblade."

Yoakam does a great cover of Waylon's "Stop the World (and Let me Off)," as well as Johnny Cash's "Understand Your Man," among several other covers that he is known for through the years.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:44 pm

KHoots wrote:He was also very good in "Slingblade."

Yoakam does a great cover of Waylon's "Stop the World (and Let me Off)," as well as Johnny Cash's "Understand Your Man," among several other covers that he is known for through the years.

And those Dwight versions can be found on the excellent cd Dwight's Used Records! :D

ColinB and KHoots: I haven't seen those movies, but rumour has it that Dwight did a reasonable good acting job! :wink:

Br
Kristian