Off Topic Messages

Only In America - Part 1

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:53 pm

Part One of an occasional series on life in the US, as reported in the UK.

In 2003, NASA had the Columbia shuttle disaster caused by insulation foam falling away during take-off.

They then spent two and a half years and $1 billion to solve the problem.

In 2005 Discovery shuttle takes off and........ insulation foam falls away during take-off.

All future shuttle flights are now grounded.

You couldn't make it up, could you ?

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:03 pm

I liken it to the British Royalty Follies. You get a fairytale wedding (on your shilling)......that ends in divorce. CRASH!!!!!And you still put up with them. You get the phone tapes of kinky sex talk with your future monarch relaying his desire to be a tampon.POW!!!!!And you still put up with them. You get a popular Princess killed off, and the Royal Mum disses her.WHAMMO!!!!! And you still put up with them.You get Harry the Hitler wannabe and amateur herbalist at a costume party all decked out for the KrystalNacht.KABLOOEY!!!!!And you still put up with them.And at the cost of far more than a billion dollars, and a hell of a lot more years. Looks like we're not the only ones who cannot seem to get their mistakes corrected........eh wot??? :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:29 pm

Scatter -

Yeah, OK.

But the British Royal Family is a bit of a soft target, isn't it ?

They are an anarchic, outmoded, past-their-sell-by-date anomaly.

But NASA is recognised worldwide as a leading-edge, up-to-the-minute, state-of-the-art, technological marvel !

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:31 pm

LMAO... Scatter, simply perfect.

Colin, aren't you a bit late for the Carpenter & Friend's weekly "Bitchin' 'bout America" meeting? Better run along before Doc counts you tardy.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:51 pm

ATTA BOY SCATTER!

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:32 pm

Colin, sorry my friend, you set yourself up for that one. Scatter, those were some terrific body shots you landed on our friend Colin.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:06 pm

ColinB wrote:Scatter -

Yeah, OK.

Colin -
Far be it for an American to give an english lesson to an Englishman, but I believe the word you meant was 'archaic' - not anarchic.

But it will probably take a little anarchy on the part of you and your countrymen to give the royals the royal flush!

If you need any advice on this be sure to consult us Americans, since we've got some expertise in this area seeing as we gave 'em the royal flush 229 years ago!

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:10 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
ColinB wrote:Scatter -

Yeah, OK.

Colin -
Far be it for an American to give an english lesson to an Englishman, but I believe the word you meant was 'archaic' - not anarchic.

But it will probably take a little anarchy on the part of you and your countrymen to give the royals the royal flush!

If you need any advice on this be sure to consult us Americans, since we've got some expertise in this area seeing as we gave 'em the royal flush 229 years ago!

This fight could be over before it starts!

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:02 pm

They would have been excellent "body blows", if Colin or the majority of people in the UK actually gave two hoots about the Royal Family.

Thanks for the offer Joe, but I suspect they'll self-destruct long before we can be bothered to behead any of them. :roll:

Roll on the Republic!

Geoff

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:22 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:They would have been excellent "body blows", if Colin or the majority of people in the UK actually gave two hoots about the Royal Family.

Thanks for the offer Joe, but I suspect they'll self-destruct long before we can be bothered to behead any of them. :roll:

Roll on the Republic!

Geoff

Geoff, I didn't realize the Royal Family had become a punch line in it's own country, pretty sad really.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Pete -

You wrote:
Colin -

You're right ! [Wait till you're my age]

I notice none of you from the US have any answer to my NASA jibe !

You're all just joining in with the Royal family put-downs.

As Geoff rightly points out, most of us Brits are ahead of you with those criticisms !

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Actually Colin I checked the definition of anarchic in the ..... umm .... American Heritage dictionary and one of the definitions is: "Lacking order or control; lawless." Given that fits the royals to a T your post should stand as is! :)

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:35 pm

Colin wrote: "I notice none of you from the US have any answer to my NASA jibe!"

Colin, it may have escaped your attention ( I know a lot of innovations have taken place since your younger years...the Wright Brother's first flight, the Model T, Radio, etc.) but the very fact that we even have a NASA should leave you no room whatsoever to jibe.

Despite it's flaws, our space program still kicks the ever livin' shite out of anything anyone else has done. What's that retort I hear? Nada? Could it be because the mother country has never planted a Union Jack on the moon? Could it be because the BNSC's greatest achievement is building telescopes for the ESU? Whoopdeefreakindoo!!!

Colin, I would suggest you regroup with the Doc, have a spot of tea, and go back to rehashing Blair's alleged subservient relationship with Bush before you get yourself into trouble.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:31 am

ColinB wrote:I notice none of you from the US have any answer to my NASA jibe !

Don't take this the wrong way, but why would any of us care about your opinion on NASA one way or the other?

I'm sure we should be looking to the UK's exemplary human spaceflight program for direction ...

Oh, wait, sorry, not much of an example there to follow, after all.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:35 am

ColinB wrote:I notice none of you from the US have any answer to my NASA jibe!

When you guys get higher in the sky than the top of Big Ben we'll talk! :wink:

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:23 am

edit......
Last edited by Scatter on Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:14 am

I think Colin was just having some fun and, let's face it, 1 billion to rectify falling foam and still not get it right is slightly embarrassing :wink:
But the obvious retort was the failure of the Beagle 2 project headed up by the wildly eccentric Colin Pillinger. What a bloody farce that was :lol:

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 am

TJ -

You wrote:
I think Colin was just having some fun

Of course.

But judging by some of the over-the-top replies, looks like I touched a nerve there !

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:16 am

We're just having some fun too, buddy.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:19 am

ColinB wrote:But judging by some of the over-the-top replies, looks like I touched a nerve there !

We don't always see eye-to-eye, but you should know by now that some members of this MB are right-wing reactionaries who also lack any sense of humour or irony. Their hysterical replies are par for the course.

As for the shuttle, I knew one of the members who died in 2003's reentry disaster -- she lived in Berkeley for a while -- and feel sorrow every time I think of the NASA shuttle program.

DJC

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:51 am

elvissessions -

You wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would any of us care about your opinion on NASA one way or the other?

Why indeed !

But just look at some of the replies.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:03 am

My, I can't wait for part 2 of this fascinating series.

:roll:

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:31 am

Doc -

Sorry you lost a friend in the shuttle disaster.

As I'm sure you realised, I wasn't making light of the accident itself.

Rather I was having a gentle dig at NASA in an attempt to expose the inability of some Americans to take criticism, especially from this side of the pond.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:29 pm

Criticising recklesness and ineffective, inefficient spending is fair game. However, I hope no one is disputing the mission of NASA. This is, at least in intent, a noble organization. We have an absolute duty to find out about life on other planets, about the way the galaxy and the universe work. Knowledge is power and finding out what's in space will give us the power to deal with future and crises here on Earth. Then there is the added benefit of the scientific breakthroughs that NASA makes that can be used as well in other fields.

It's not a useless institution like the Queen. Getting caught up in the tunnel vision of our own day to day existence will hurt us in the end. The pursuit of knowledge that organizations like NASA undertake benefits us all even if we can't always see the benefits.

Sorry to sound like a school teacher but many intelligent people go around blasting NASA and space exploration and it really bugs me. I just think we should reach more once in awhile.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:07 pm

For the record I didn't see this thread as yet another feud. Just some back & forth ribbing.

But there was a thread about the royals awhile back, and I was frankly surprised to read the negative comments about the monarchy from Brit boardmembers. I had been under the impression that the monarchy was still widely supported. But given what I read on that thread I now think that it won't last too much longer. A few weeks ago I heard on the radio what Charles receives for an annual salary, and I was shocked. I can now well imagine how pissed off you Brits are about this situation, and I feel for you. It's just not right!