Off Topic Messages

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:06 am

Is it really that simple, Gardener? I'm all for comforting blacks and whites (good vs. evil, complexity vs. out and out evil, as discussed earlier in the thread) but sometimes I just can't sit still for such all-knowing, bombastic comments. If only if it were that simple.

If nothing else, it's clear that some fingers are being crossed in the White House. What a half-cocked, unprepared war we're fighting.

This war can't be how they planned it. And I say that as someone who gave the President the benefit of the doubt (how wrong was I?) and vocally likes to support the troops save for this mostly-anonymous forum.

(And if you don't do debates, sorry we lost you, Blue-Gypsy. See you in the "Tickle Me" thread...)

I have a conservative streak on a number of issues, namely on the "war on terrorism" and radical Islam; law and order issues among others, but I'm repulsed by the notion that it's all as simple as those some would have us believe. Anyone who buys the notion that GW Bush and his cadre have all the answers is truly drinking the Kool Aide. Let's not pretend that some prominent conservatives aren't at odds with the Iraq war. It's comforting to rail against Michael Moore and Moveon.org, but really, the election is over. Let's discuss the Party in power in the White House and in both houses of Congress.

Without trying to sound too above it all, I recomend that both camps seek out sources of all kinds instead of immediately labeling one as right or left. A steady diet of just one kind is dangerous. It's good to be challenged.

In other words, read a little of the National Review...and The Nation. Read some of the Washington Times....and the New York Times. Watch some Fox News....and watch some CBS or ABC. I like to listen to Air America or NPR on occasion but also the controversial Michael Savage and lesser known talk radio shows from the right on the radio. I'm struck how polarized some of the thinking is here. Does anyone ever listen to the other side?

Maybe Blue-Gypsy has a point. :shock:

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:13 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Is it really that simple, Gardener? ... sometimes I just can't sit still for such all-knowing, bombastic comments.

I feel your pain.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:In other words, read a little of the National Review...and The Nation. Read some of the Washington Times....and the New York Times. Watch some Fox News....and watch some CBS or ABC. I like to listen to Air America or NPRon occasion but also the controversial Michael Savage and lesser known talk radio shows from the right on the radio. I'm struck how polarized some of the thinking is here. Does anyone ever listen to the other side?

That's the difference -- I do. How else to learn more about a topic?

Sadly, these other simpletons are either too afraid, too ignorant -- or both -- to bother.

DJC

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:50 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:(And if you don't do debates, sorry we lost you, Blue-Gypsy. See you in the "Tickle Me" thread...)

I think I might pass on that thread as I have not even seen the movie :lol:

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Maybe Blue-Gypsy has a point. :shock:

That's all I want man...give a brother a little credit. :lol:

Now I am off to sign that petition for the 337th time.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:45 am

Watch it Greg. He's sucking up to you now.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:12 pm

Greg who ever said that G.W. Bush is all knowing? Also what is wrong with crossing fingers? My what a long way we have come. Trash your country on a daily basis seems to be the motto as opposed to showing your support whatever the cost.

As far as it being comforting to rail against Michael Moore..YES. Because he is a f*cking liar! One must check out the website I posted and actually READ the lies.

http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/index.htm

It baffles me how one could simply state that we are somehow picking on this turd, instead of looking at the hyprocricy of calling our president a liar..when he couldn't have ever been absolutely sure about the WMD...but then you have someone editing tape, misrepresenting, staging..and that is ok?

When I see someone supporting MM at this point, I can only site ignorance. He is yesterdays news and he only succeeded with a culture of lunatics....though even the left backed out of support. He was a commercial of the week, no more...perhaps less.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:10 pm

:?: I think he meant 'all-knowing" toward me; in that I confidentally predicted that liberals will become conservative as they get older, as parenting and grandparenting takes place.

Which tends to naturally happen

the old adage, if you're not liberal when you're young, you don't have a heart,
and if you're not conservative when you're older, you don't have a brain

Dr. Turd has neither.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:13 pm

Anyone who buys the notion that GW Bush and his cadre have all the answers is truly drinking the Kool Aide.

What cracks me up is how many assumptions are made here. I base my arguments on what is said...and not what I ASSUME.

The Doc is too busy calling people simpletons and such without a shred of knowledge as to what we listen to in private. Besides, how can you avoid the liberal publications and tv stations, they are in fact, the majority!

If one actually forms and opinion against the mind numb rantings of hollywood then he likes to label us as afraid or ignorant. lol

Afraid of what...FACTS? There are proven Al Queda operatives in Iraq and they threaten us in public. They are responsible for 9/11. Case closed.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:01 pm

I don't think the case is closed but
good luck to you just the same. :wink:

And I meant that just as one should sample the conservative media
and the mainstream corporate media (the networks, major newspapers and I don't mean their opinions on social issues, which are admittedly
very liberal), one should look at true left publications like The Nation
if only to know what the real opposition thinks.

The fact that you glom the mainstream media with the true left media
(which is in fact all but invisible or playing catch-up) shows you
must believe everything Sean Hannity ever told you. Even Michael
Savage, a right winger if there ever was one, has had it up to here
with the apologists for George Bush.

I don't truck with all of all left-wing opinions heard on outlets like Air America (they drive me bonkers too) but if all I watched was Fox Newsor CNN (a.k.a. The Natlee Holiday/ Aruba Channels), I'd be dumber than a post.

Divisity of opinion is a must.

It never fails to amaze me how much some folks have signed onto
the Bush agenda hook, line and sinker. It's just embarrassing.

Be loyal to the President, be an advocate even, but keep a healthy skepticism about your leaders, will you? This goes for any U.S. president.

How about an eye-candy break?
:lol: ImageImage

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:08 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:How about an eye-candy break?

Something we completely agree on. :shock:

As far as the left wing media....are you blind and deaf?
Ok we have Fox...now lets talk about the rest. :roll:

As far as Al Queda there are several links and I have yet to hear anyone challenge the facts.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:21 pm

I'm "over-represented" on FECC and will begin taking a major break
soon, so I'll bow out of this here, but I"m glad we at least agree
on Alizee! I'm not leaving but will try to stay on Elvis topics
and less often, at that. I will continue to contend that the President has succeededin enflaming the Arab world.
I'm all for meeting Al Queda head-on
but don't create a reason for them to hate us. The P.R. of this war
has been a disaster, too. And I hope I'm proved wrong.

Hello, Greater Persia! Hello, Iraqi civil war when we leave. Meanwhile,
not a thing done about our borders. And this guy is supposed to
be a tough-on-terrorism guy? Seems really half-cocked if you ask me.
I have much less faith than you and the President for Arabs and Muslims to overcome their backward, 14th -century ways, Genesim. At this point, Saddam is looking good: tanned, rested and ready. :roll:
Nice work, Mr. President. Bring it on, indeed.

I welcome Fox and actually enjoy that it is here.
I was just pointing out that the news is pretty much
center to right, with the exception of a bit of
tilt toward liberal views on drugs, abortion and homosexuality in
the corporate media of ABC, CBS, CNN, etc.

There is no true left wing TV news focusing on
bread and butter issues
of health care, social security, consumer rights, unions, and the other concerns of aveage working people.
Only a show likewhat was Bill Moyers' Now might have
fit the bill as "Leftie TV."

The cable networks are in love with that dumb Natalee Holiday "Lost in Aruba" tale. I can't fathom it.

First, there's no news coming out of there anymore, second, Rome is burning (illegal immigration, run away deficit, CAFTA is signed, Iraq war
seems as bad as ever; bombs in London, gas prices are getting higher, real estate is unbelieveable, and finally, many non-white kids and women
go missing everyday. It's a scandal that they think we still 24-7 care about one person (white, attractive, and apparently wealthy), no matter
how tragic the story is.

Flipping from Jennings retrospectives
last night, I was taken by the constrast of a man
who apparently fought hard for hard news and an
international coverage,but, just like pre-9/11, cable news
is awash in trivia.
Unbelievable.

Over and out for awhile ! :lol: