Off Topic Messages

Gregory Peck has passed away.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:28 pm

Hollywood screen legend Gregory Peck has passed away at age 87. Mr. Peck was a class act. His Oscar winning role as Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird (one of my all-time favorite films) still stands as a model for what a good father and a decent man should be. R.I.P. Mr. Peck.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:35 pm

A sad day indeed! He was one of the last great screen legends!!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Promocollector

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:35 pm

That's a real shame. He was the consumate actor and a real gentleman. He did a one man show here several years back and I sat completely entranced by him for two hours as he talked about his career and old Hollywood. Well, if you believe the legend that celebrities always go in three's, I wonder who the third will be?

Tom

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:58 pm

Another classic example of what real actor is, as compared to some of todays actors.
I always enjoyed watching Mr Pecks work, especially in The Yearling, To Kill a Mockingbird, McCarthur , and the tv mini-series The Blue & The Gray.

Tom, I wonder if #3 is going to be Michael Jackson?

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:59 pm

Tom -
I believe the legend! They do seem to go in threes. I've been wondering who the third person will be. And it's not just celebrities who go in threes. From 1982 to 92 I worked in a couple of nursing homes. Without fail the old folks would pass on in threes.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:59 pm

Man, we're losing all the big name entertainer's and actor's.
It scares the crap out of me.
I grew up watching and learning about these people.
I guess I'm afraid to get old.
A sad day. A fine actor.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:21 pm

A lot of you are wondering who #3 will be. I want to know who #2 is. Gregory Peck is one. Does David Brinkley count?

jeff R

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:23 pm

Whoops! I didn't see your other thread, Tom, about David Brinkley.

jeff R

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:31 pm

My mum sat behind Gregory Peck at a Frank Sinatra concert at London's Royal Albert Hall in May 1992. That's her claim to fame, anyway.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:37 pm

Watching old Hollywood movies was one of my favorite pass-times when I was young; actually it still is when I can find the time. There's something about these movie classics that simply cannot be duplicated again nowadays. The real moviestars are gone today, wouldn't you say? People like James Stewart, Jack lemmon, Kirk Douglas, Katharine Hepburn, Humprey Bogart, Cary Grant, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Charlton Heston. The carried their movies, and weren't dependent on special effects to keep the attention of their audience.

I remember two movies with Peck that stood out: "How the west was Won" and the original "Cape Fear" which I believe also had a terrifying Robert Mitchum as the villain. Peck also was a terrific lead actor in "Moby Dick". He also was a truck driver at one time in his life, just like Elvis. 8) A class act.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:37 pm

'The Guns Of Navarone', 'Cape Fear', 'Moby Dick' - he was a fine actor & will be sadly missed.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:21 am

James27 wrote:The real moviestars are gone today, wouldn't you say? People like James Stewart, Jack lemmon, Kirk Douglas, Katharine Hepburn, Humprey Bogart, Cary Grant, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Charlton Heston.

Kirk Douglas, Katharine Hepburn, Charlton Heston is still alive.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:38 am

What I meant was that they obviously aren't prominent in today's acting business like they were in their glory years... They're gone from the limelight, though respected immensely. How many good parts are written for older actors? Richard Farnsworth in that road-movie, Jessica Tandy in Driving miss Daisy, Paul Newman in Road to Perdition, and ehhh... :roll:

Mr. Kirk, for example, is always a great guest at talkshows, and shows that even without his voice and in his 80s he is still the coolest guy in the room... 8)

Peck

Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:15 am

This was always my favorte G.P. movie....

Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:17 am

Gregory Peck did make a lot of fine movies and many of those are mentioned on this thread. I do have to agree with Pete Dube. Atticus Finch was a great role and Mr. Peck played it to the hilt. I hope they never try to remake that film. This film should be shown to all junior high or high school kids. I know the book is pretty standard reading for kids.
I believe Gregory Peck also did a couple Hitchcock classic films. I can't remember them off the top of my head. Hitch usually only picked the best for the lead roles, at least in the 40's and 50's.

jeff R

Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:02 am

That's me officially middle-aged. Another link to my Father's generation gone, and another of my heroes. Perhaps I should expect this, but it always suprises.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:29 pm

Carolyn -

Yeah, unusual for him to play a 'baddie' for once !

Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:52 pm

There aren't too many of the great one's left. Charlton Heston; Kirk Douglas; Paul Newman; Sean Connery; Brando (as ridiculously eccentric as he's become, he was - and still can be - a great actor). I'm gonna really be sad when Heston goes. He was an institution in our house when I was a kid!
The only actors today who have that kind of star presence are Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson.
I just don't see future generations being anywhere near as moved by the passing of Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck as we are by Gregory Pecks passing.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:45 pm

You are right Pete...

Somehow the older stars seemed to shine brighter than todays stars.

Ever noticed how for instance Paul Newman can make a movie "his" movie? Road To Perdition gets a lot better when Newman appears.
And so does Message In A Bottle where Newman plays Costners father.

The old movie stars just have more class and are far better!

Sonny

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:09 am

Gregory Peck's Hitchcock movies were Spellbound and The Paradine Case, I believe, the first one great and the second not so great.

Incidentally, speaking of old timers still acting, one must not forget the great Mickey Rooney, who must have made over 300 films by now in a movie career stretching back to 1926. He appeared at this year's Oscar ceremony. Fay Wray is still with us, but how many parts are there for 96 year old women? Gloria Stuart, who appeared in The Old Dark House with Charles Laughton in 1932, was Oscar nominated for Titanic, so she counts, I guess.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:45 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Tom -
I believe the legend! They do seem to go in threes. I've been wondering who the third person will be. And it's not just celebrities who go in threes. From 1982 to 92 I worked in a couple of nursing homes. Without fail the old folks would pass on in threes.

Hume Cronyn passed away over the weekend. He was 91.
Hume was the husband of Jessica Tandy. They were in the movie "Cocoon".

Tom (from Ohio)

Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:48 pm

I remember seeing Gregory Peck in the movie "MacArthur" in the theater (in the summer of '77). This was before Elvis' passing.

I find it a bit ironic that Elvis had an interest in seeing "MacArthur", but unfortunately never got to see it.

Tom (from Ohio)