Off Topic Messages

Sinatra: London. New 3CD+DVD set.

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Sinatra fans have had to put up with very slim pickings when it comes to new material being released over the last few years, and so it's nice that we can get excited again at the prospect of a new boxed set being released next month. Sinatra: London follows similar entries for Las Vegas and New York, and provides some tantalising material.

The first two CDs are largely taken up with what is essentially a deluxe version of the Great Songs from Great Britain album. The first disc contains the album twice - once in its original form and then as presented on BBC radio in 1962 with spoken introductions by Sinatra. The second disc contains session material from six of the songs, followed by a previously unreleased session recorded for BBC radio in 1953. The Great Songs from Great Britain album is a slight oddity in the Sinatra cannon, and was only released in the UK at the time. The arrangements are lush and rich, but Sinatra's voice is ragged. This is both a shame and a benefit - he knows his vocal shortcomings and so adapts his phrasing accordingly, thus making it interesting in itself. Highlights include a beautiful version of If I Had You and gorgeous re-working of We'll Meet Again which strips the song of its war-time associations and turned it into a beautiful love ballad. Does the album deserve a two disc edition? No, not really. But then officially released session outtakes by Sinatra are not common (especially after the Columbia years), and so the second disc is going to be essential to those fans who have never had access to the "Inside..." series of bootlegs.

The third CD is a concert from the Royal Albert Hall in 1984. If this one has circulated amongst collectors, it is one that I've missed - so it's rather nice that a concert is being released that has not been bootlegged to death (if at all). The set list is typical Sinatra for the period, but an early outing for Mack the Knife and relatively rare live songs such as Here's To the Band and Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry make it more interesting. Sinatra was generally in good form during this period, and so this looks to be a pleasant (if probably unremarkable) addition to the CD shelves.

The set finishes with a DVD which is going to be the disc that gets most people excited. In 1962, Sinatra self-funded a world concert tour for charity in which he was accompanied not by an orchestra but by a jazz combo - making these performances almost unique (he was accompanied by Red Norvo in 1959). The concert from London was bootlegged on CD back in the 1990s in reasonable sound and shows itself to be a far better show than the official release from Paris a few days later. The London show was also shown on TV in the UK, and it is this concert that headlines the DVD. It has floated around online in dodgy quality for some time, but hopefully vast improvements will have been made for the official release. It finds Sinatra in absolutely stunning form, working his way through jazz-tinged versions of 29 songs over the course of ninety minutes.
This should be a real treat (picture quality permitting), not least because this tour is probably the earliest video footage of a complete full-length Sinatra solo concert. The London show wasn't the earliest one in the tour to be taped - that was Tokyo a few weeks before (which is kicking around on youtube).

The DVD also contains the often-released 1970 Festival Hall concert, but this time unedited with A Foggy Day re-inserted into the running order. The DVD and VHS releases have always omitted it. The BBC repeats over the last few years have always included the song but cut another one instead. So, finally, we have the whole show in one place. Again, Sinatra is on superlative form. The ballad section contains some of his best singing from the Reprise years, and his clear sense of fun during the other sections is totally infectious.

As for packaging, the press release states that: "The sleek book-style set includes a 60-page booklet with a new essay by producer, filmmaker, songwriter, music publisher and author, Ken Barnes, who attended the Great Songs From Great Britain sessions, the album’s original liner notes, newly-written track notes, details about Sinatra’s many visits to the U.K., and several photos of Sinatra in London: onstage, in the studio, and about town. The new collection also includes two exclusive art print reproductions of original London concert posters, and a unique studio panorama from the 1962 recording sessions for Great Songs From Great Britain."

The 3CD+DVD set will retail at around £40-50 (according to Amazon) - not too bad for a set that contains two complete CDs of unreleased material and a DVD containing a previously unreleased concert lasting ninety minutes (+the BBC radio show version of Great Songs). Release date is November 24th.

Track Listing is as follows:

DISC 1 (CD)

GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN [original album, remastered]
- Originally recorded at CTS Studios in Bayswater, London, England, June 1962 with Robert Farnon and His Orchestra
- Arranged & Conducted by Robert Farnon

1. The Very Thought Of You
2. We'll Gather Lilacs
3. If I Had You
4. Now Is The Hour
5. The Gypsy
6. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square
7. A Garden In The Rain
8. London By Night
9. We'll Meet Again
10. I'll Follow My Secret Heart
Bonus Tracks
11. Roses Of Picardy
12–23. BBC Light Programme
- A special radio presentation with Great Songs From Great Britain track introductions by Frank Sinatra
- First transmitted on October 21, 1962
12. Introduction
13. Sinatra on “A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square”
14. Sinatra on “The Gypsy”
15. Sinatra on “We'll Meet Again”
16. Sinatra on “A Garden In The Rain”
17. Sinatra on “I'll Follow My Secret Heart”
18. Sinatra on “The Very Thought Of You”
19. Sinatra on “If I Had You”
20. Sinatra on “We'll Gather Lilacs”
21. Sinatra on “Now Is The Hour”
22. Sinatra on “London By Night”
23. End Credit

DISC 2 (CD)

SESSIONS
- Tracks 1-6: session material from the Great Songs From Great Britain album recordings (June 1962)
- Arranged & Conducted by Robert Farnon
1. The Very Thought Of You
2. A Garden In The Rain
3. London By Night
4. The Gypsy
5. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square
6. We'll Meet Again

7. BBC Show Band Show
- Live radio session recorded for BBC Show Band Show on BBC Radio
- First transmitted on 16th July, 1953
I've Got The World On A String
Day In, Day Out
London By Night

DISC 3 (CD)

LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL
- Recorded at The Royal Albert Hall, London, England (September 21, 1984)
- Conducted by Joe Parnello
1. Fly Me To The Moon
2. The Lady Is A Tramp
3. Come Rain Or Come Shine
4. This Is All I Ask
5. L.A. Is My Lady
6. Pennies From Heaven
7. Monologue
8. Luck Be A Lady
9. My Way
10. Here’s To The Band
11. These Foolish Things
12. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
13. Don't Worry ‘Bout Me
14. New York, New York
15. Strangers In The Night
16. Mack The Knife
17. Bows: You Are There

DISC 4 (DVD)

LIVE AT ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL, 1962
- Recorded at Royal Festival Hall, London, England (June 1, 1962)
- Conducted by Bill Miller
1. Introduction
2. Goody, Goody
3. Imagination
4. At Long Last Love
5. Moonlight In Vermont
6. Without A Song
7. Day In, Day Out
8. The Moon Was Yellow
9. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
10. I Get A Kick Out Of You
11. The Second Time Around
12. Too marvellous For Words
13. My Funny Valentine
14. In The Still Of The Night
15. My Blue Heaven
16. April In Paris
17. You’re Nobody ‘Til Somebody Loves You
18. Monologue and Band Introductions
19. They Can’t Take That Away From Me
20. All The Way
21. Chicago
22. Night And Day
23. Autumn Leaves
24. I Could Have Danced All Night
25. One For My Baby
26. A Foggy Day
27. The Lady Is A Tramp
28. Bows
29. Ol’ Man River
30. You Make Me Feel So Young
31. Nancy
32. Come Fly With Me
33. Bows

LIVE AT ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL, 1970
- Recorded at Royal Festival Hall, London, England (November 16, 1970)
- Recorded for ‘Night Of Nights’ on BBC TV (first broadcast on November 22, 1970)
- Conducted by Bill Miller
1. You Make Me Feel So Young
2. Pennies From Heaven
3. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
4. Something
5. The Lady Is A Tramp
6. I Get Along Without You Very Well
7. Didn’t We?
8. One For My Baby
9. A Foggy Day
10. I Will Drink The Wine
11. I Have Dreamed
12. My Kind Of Town
13. My Way

Re: Sinatra: London. New 3CD+DVD set.

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 pm

I see a version of ''Something'' I always kind of liked sinatra's version of the song
phpBB [video]

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I see a version of ''Something'' I always kind of liked sinatra's version of the song
phpBB [video]

Yes, the version on the boxed set is a different arrangement, though.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:20 am

Here's the Amazon preorder link: http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Live-Lond ... tra+london

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:22 am

Will be picking this one up for sure,my mother is a huge fan so that will suit her as a christmas gift

sent from Lincolnshire,UK,by carrier pigeon

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Really looking forward to this set.

Sinatra gave two concerts in 1962 and two concerts in 1970. I have them on boots, which are more complete than the tracklistings here.

But I will buy this set anyhow, you bet I will.

Shouldn't this thread be moved into the Classic Artists folder?

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Richard--W wrote:Really looking forward to this set.

Sinatra gave two concerts in 1962 and two concerts in 1970. I have them on boots, which are more complete than the tracklistings here.

But I will buy this set anyhow, you bet I will.

Shouldn't this thread be moved into the Classic Artists folder?

The track listings for the 1962 and 1970 concert here are complete as far as I'm aware and no extra songs were performed at those particular concerts - although certainly Sinatra performed extra songs at the "lost" 1970 concert from the night before, and he added London By Night into the set on June 2nd 1962 (the day after the concert here). My guess is that the 1984 concert from the Albert Hall is abridged, though, which is a shame.

This certainly looks as if it will be a better collection than the New York set from a few years back, but possibly not as exciting from an audio point of view as the Vegas set. The New York set I thought was very weak, both in the performances and the conception (two concerts from 1974 was just silly, and the final disc is rather a mess). I rewatched the DVDs with each set last weekend, though, and have to say I found both very enjoyable. I'm not sure why the Carnegie Hall concert was seemingly never shown on TV as expected in 1980 - my guess is that Sinatra didn't like the fact that the collar of his shirt got caught in his suit jacket for the majority of the show and he didn't realise. The DVD and the Union Nations mini-concert on disc 1 are certainly the highlights of the NY set.

My hope is that the series will continue. Personally, I'd like to see a Sinatra & Friends set. There are known live recordings kicking around of Sinatra in concert with John Denver in 1976, with Dean Martin in Westchester in 1977, with Sammy Davis in LV in 1988, with Perry Como at the White House in 1982, with Tony Bennett in 1988 or 1989, the Ultimate Event with Liza Minnelli and Sammy Davis in 1988/9, and the Diamond tour with Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme in 1990. There are murky recordings of Sinatra & Ella Fitzgerald with Count Basie from around 1974 or 1975 as well, but I'd be very surprised if this wasn't recorded professionally as well. The DVD element could use one of the many Ultimate Event concerts that were recorded, which were then televised in certain territories in a more complete fashion than the Detroit show we have had already. The same goes for the Diamond tour the following year, although Sinatra isn't in such good form for that, and Lawrence and Gorme are so sickly-sweet they want to make you throw up. Wishful thinking, probably - but it would be nice to have.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:28 am

poormadpeter, December 9 is only ten days away. Then it will be a few more days for the set to arrive.

Here is the bootleg tracklist for

1 June 1962
Royal Festival Hall -- London, England.

Goody Goody
Imagination
At Long Last Love
Moonlight In Vermont
Without A Song
Day In, Day Out
The Moon Was Yellow
I've Got You Under My Skin
I Get A Kick Out Of You
The Second Time Around
Too Marvellous For Words
My Funny Valentine
In The Still Of The Night
My Blue Heaven
April In Paris
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You
They Can't Take That Away From Me
All The Way
Chicago
Night And Day (w/Al Viola, guitar)
Autumn Leaves
I Could Have Danced All Night
One For My Baby
A Foggy Day
The Lady Is A Tramp
Ol' Man River (w/Bill Miller, piano)
You Make Me Feel So Young
Nancy (w/Bill Miller, piano)
Come Fly With Me

Bill Miller Sextet:
Emil Richards, vibes.
Al Viola, guitar.
Irv Cottler, drums.
Ralph Pana, bass.
Harry Klee, flute, sax, clarinet.
Bill Miller, piano.

Here is what I have listed for "The Lost London Concert":

16 November 1970 matinee.

Pennies From Heaven
Something
The Lady is a Tramp
I Get Along w/out You Very Well
This Love Mine
Spring is Here
Didn't We
One For My Baby
A Foggy Day
I Will Drink The Wine
I Have Dreamed
My Kind of Town
My Way

Orchestra Conducted by Bill Miller.

16 November 1970 evening.

Pennies From Heaven
Something
The Lady Is A Tramp
I Get Along Without You Very Well
Didn't We
One For My Baby
A Foggy Day
I Will Drink The Wine
I Have Dreamed
My Kind Of Town
Monologue
My Way

I wish that both shows from each period were part of the new box-set. Wouldn't it be interesting of the estate thought in terms of documenting a tour rather than cherry-picking a couple of good performances to salute a consumer demographic in a city -- New York, Vegas and now London. Each tour is different, and each tour is a musical passage in Sinatra's life, so to speak.

I hope the series will continue as well. How can there be enough of Sinatra in concert. I count myself among those who wish more 1950s concerts had been recorded, and released. But who knows what the estate is holding onto. Have you heard the Blackpool concert from 1953? I think it was an aircheck or acetate that got booted.
Last edited by Richard--W on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:45 am

A question. What is the BEST-SOUNDING collection of his 40s Columbia work?

As you know from old postings, the thin, reedy sound of the orchestra on some tremendous classic recordings gives me an itch. Have they remastered again? Have they tried to make it sound as "real-in-the-studio" as humanly possible for the age of the recordings?

Aside from a few records, the 70s and 80s are not my fave time period, with very notable exceptions. But the 40s through 60s stuff often drives me wild. I want better 40s!

Thanks, if you can explain to someone who may well be clueless. (Please don't run to daylight with that one, m'kay? ;) )

rjm

Sent via Tapatalk on my new Galaxy Note 4

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:25 pm

rjm wrote:A question. What is the BEST-SOUNDING collection of his 40s Columbia work?

As you know from old postings, the thin, reedy sound of the orchestra on some tremendous classic recordings gives me an itch. Have they remastered again? Have they tried to make it sound as "real-in-the-studio" as humanly possible for the age of the recordings?

Aside from a few records, the 70s and 80s are not my fave time period, with very notable exceptions. But the 40s through 60s stuff often drives me wild. I want better 40s!

Thanks, if you can explain to someone who may well be clueless. (Please don't run to daylight with that one, m'kay? ;) )

rjm

The 40s material is what it is - it was recorded in the 40s. I can't help though - I have the 40s masters through the cheap, but very good sounding, Disky set from around ten years ago, but I'm not a fan of that material so haven't even thought about upgrading.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Richard--W wrote:poormadpeter, December 9 is only ten days away. Then it will be a few more days for the set to arrive.

Here is the tracklist for

1 June 1962

Goody Goody
Imagination
At Long Last Love
Moonlight In Vermont
Without A Song
Day In, Day Out
The Moon Was Yellow
I Get A Kick Out Of You
The Second Time Around
Too Marvellous For Words
My Funny Valentine
In The Still Of The Night
My Blue Heaven
April In Paris
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You
They Can't Take That Away From Me
All The Way
Chicago
Night And Day (w/Al Viola, guitar)
Autumn Leaves
I Could Have Danced All Night
One For My Baby
A Foggy Day
The Lady Is A Tramp
Ol' Man River (w/Bill Miller, piano)
Nancy (w/Bill Miller, piano)
Come Fly With Me

Bill Miller Sextet:
Emil Richards, vibes.
Al Viola, guitar.
Irv Cottler, drums.
Ralph Pana, bass.
Harry Klee, flute, sax, clarinet.
Bill Miller, piano.

Here is what I have listed for "The Lost London Concert":

16 November 1970 matinee.

Pennies From Heaven
Something
The Lady is a Tramp
I Get Along w/out You Very Well
This Love Mine
Spring is Here
Didn't We
One For My Baby
A Foggy Day
I Will Drink The Wine
I Have Dreamed
My Kind of Town
My Way

16 November 1970 evening.

Pennies From Heaven
Something
The Lady Is A Tramp
I Get Along Without You Very Well
Didn't We
One For My Baby
A Foggy Day
I Will Drink The Wine
I Have Dreamed
My Kind Of Town
Monologue
My Way

I wish that both shows from each period were part of the new box-set. Wouldn't it be interesting of the estate thought in terms of documenting a tour rather than cherry-picking a couple of good performances to salute a consumer demographic in a city -- New York, Vegas and now London. Each tour is different, and each tour is a musical passage in Sinatra's life, so to speak.

I don't think documenting a tour would be a good idea. As with most artists, the repertoire changed very little within a tour or even a year. The New York set and the Main Event CD provides us with three "concerts" (one compiled) from the same year, and I don't think that was a good idea at all. I like the way they have banded concerts together via location - it's a novel way of doing things, provides a link between the concerts, but also allows for a wide range of material to be heard. I do wish the audio of the alternate 1970 Festival Hall concert was included in the London set, though. That would have worked nicely. My guess is that the next entry may well be Sinatra: Australia as there are a fair amount of interesting concerts of the singer down under.

Interestingly, December 8th also sees the release of an Ella Fitzgerald set of concerts from Paris during 1957-62. The sound is superb and the repertoire varied. It will also mark the first CD release of Ella singing Straighten Up and Fly Right, a song never released before but which she had in her repertoire for forty years!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Paris-1957-1962-Ella-Fitzgerald/dp/B00LZXB7DK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417271411&sr=8-1&keywords=ella+fitzgerald+paris
Last edited by poormadpeter on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:33 pm

I have this Columbia set:

I don't have any problems with the sound at all, not for seventy year old recordings at any rate. There have been various remasterings since, but only for individual titles. Maybe they do sound better - I have them all but never did A/B comparisons - but I didn't notice, and as a complete box the one I have is good enough in my view.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:15 am

rjm wrote:A question. What is the BEST-SOUNDING collection of his 40s Columbia work?

rjm

The 1993 box-set as pictured by The Pirate in his post above is the one you want. Apparently it's out of print now, but it can still be had. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Years-19 ... 1417302096

You might find lower prices one ebay.

The four-disc "Best of the Columbia Years 1943-52" longbox-gatefold taken from the box-set is also very nice to have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... 1417302640

Several years ago Columbia released individual discs -- The Voice and Greatest Hits among them -- that were remastered with newer technology. I can't sort out which is what on amazon, but if you look you're bound to find them.

To get a complete Columbia collection you would also need The V-Discs:

http://www.amazon.com/V-Discs-Columbia- ... 2v-Disc%22

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:01 am

It's also worth saying that it's Sinatra's 100th birthday in 2015 - I wouldn't be surprised if we get presented with a series of remastered boxed set and other goodies, so it might be worth waiting.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:I don't think documenting a tour would be a good idea. As with most artists, the repertoire changed very little within a tour or even a year. The New York set and the Main Event CD provides us with three "concerts" (one compiled) from the same year, and I don't think that was a good idea at all. I like the way they have banded concerts together via location - it's a novel way of doing things, provides a link between the concerts, but also allows for a wide range of material to be heard. I do wish the audio of the alternate 1970 Festival Hall concert was included in the London set, though. That would have worked nicely. My guess is that the next entry may well be Sinatra: Australia as there are a fair amount of interesting concerts of the singer down under.

I wouldn't be surprised if an Australian collection were next, followed by a Tokyo / Osaka collection, followed by Buenos Aires collection, followed by a Paris collection, followed by a ... well, maybe a Chicago collection.

Documenting the tour is not about different setlists. It's about different performances. Just because he sings "Moonlight In Vermont" two nights in a row doesn't mean it will be the same song. The emphasis will fall in different places, the phrasing will stretch and bend in different ways, his tone will be lighter or heavier, even though the arrangement is the same. The subtle differences in vocals is precisely what makes the same setlists interesting night after night.

poormadpeter wrote:Interestingly, December 8th also sees the release of an Ella Fitzgerald set of concerts from Paris during 1957-62. The sound is superb and the repertoire varied. It will also mark the first CD release of Ella singing Straighten Up and Fly Right, a song never released before but which she had in her repertoire for forty years!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Paris-1957-1962-Ella-Fitzgerald/dp/B00LZXB7DK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417271411&sr=8-1&keywords=ella+fitzgerald+paris

Thanks for the heads up on Ella. 1957-62 was a vital time for her. It's time I added something new to my Ella collection, which is much too small. I might pick it up.

Any suggestion how to get a complete set of Nat King Cole at Capitol?

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Richard--W wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I don't think documenting a tour would be a good idea. As with most artists, the repertoire changed very little within a tour or even a year. The New York set and the Main Event CD provides us with three "concerts" (one compiled) from the same year, and I don't think that was a good idea at all. I like the way they have banded concerts together via location - it's a novel way of doing things, provides a link between the concerts, but also allows for a wide range of material to be heard. I do wish the audio of the alternate 1970 Festival Hall concert was included in the London set, though. That would have worked nicely. My guess is that the next entry may well be Sinatra: Australia as there are a fair amount of interesting concerts of the singer down under.

I wouldn't be surprised if an Australian collection were next, followed by a Tokyo / Osaka collection, followed by Buenos Aires collection, followed by a Paris collection, followed by a ... well, maybe a Chicago collection.

Documenting the tour is not about different setlists. It's about different performances. Just because he sings "Moonlight In Vermont" two nights in a row doesn't mean it will be the same song. The emphasis will fall in different places, the phrasing will stretch and bend in different ways, his tone will be lighter or heavier, even though the arrangement is the same. The subtle differences in vocals is precisely what makes the same setlists interesting night after night.

Yes, but these items aren't just produced with the collector in mind, but the more average fan. Personally, as long as most of the material is unreleased and the set is coherent, I would much rather have a variety of concerts than very similar ones. Perhaps the London set missed a trick by not including something from his mid-70s visits here where he was trying out songs such as Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word and Remember, both by Elton John and with the latter recorded for Trilogy but never used. Those 1977/8 concerts might not be his best, but the rarities are plentiful, even if some are misfires: he also performed I Sing the Songs, The Hungry Years and the otherwise unreleased See The Show Again on those British dates.

I'm not aware of a Nat King Cole complete collection.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:53 am

Bear Family released two massive boxes compiling the complete Capitol recordings, around about 2006 I believe.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:00 am

The Pirate wrote:Bear Family released two massive boxes compiling the complete Capitol recordings, around about 2006 I believe.

This is true, but only covering the years 1955-1964. Nat King Cole was actually signed to Capitol in 1943. Whether the Mosaic boxed set of Nat Cole trio recordings fully completes his studio work when put together with the Bear boxes is something I don't know. While I admire Cole, I confess he's not someone I have ever listened to a great deal outside of a handful of albums, and so have never delved that much into the big boxes that are out there.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:20 am

I've been trying to get NKC's Mosaic box for years. It was priced beyond me when it was new, and now that it's oop, it's priced even higher when it turns up. I wish I could find somebody to just clone the set.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:22 am

Richard--W wrote:

rjm

The 1993 box-set as pictured by The Pirate in his post above is the one you want. Apparently it's out of print now, but it can still be had. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Years-19 ... 1417302096

You might find lower prices one ebay.

The four-disc "Best of the Columbia Years 1943-52" longbox-gatefold taken from the box-set is also very nice to have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... 1417302640

Several years ago Columbia released individual discs -- The Voice and Greatest Hits among them -- that were remastered with newer technology. I can't sort out which is what on amazon, but if you look you're bound to find them.

To get a complete Columbia collection you would also need The V-Discs:

http://www.amazon.com/V-Discs-Columbia- ... 2v-Disc%22

Thanks, Richard. This is the one I have, but I will look for remasterings. And also, with the anniversary coming up . . . that oughtta do it.

Frankie_Columbia_Bestof.jpg

I am going to get the "Greatest Hits" remaster for X-mas. I listened to the snippets, and they sound pretty good. (Actually, like most people, I prefer his Capitol work - the "sad" not "swinging" albums. But still, he was a wonderful vocalist in the '40s. Very pure.)

Should be a very good year for Sinatra next year! :smt020

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:47 am

The jewel-box edition. It's the better of the two because the glue doesn't dry up making the CD trays fall out. I have to glue mine back in.

When I first heard Columbia's restoration I thought it sounded better than anyone had a right to expect. I'm listening to it now, and I still think so. The sound quality rates all the complimentary adjectives. There is, of course, the absence of warmth in this digital media, but I'm over that now. Early Sinatra never sounded so clean, clear, sharp and present. The voice is full and rich. The instruments are not as distinct, but what's there is enough by plenty. The complete box set is on ebay now starting at $15. I'd try for it.

Do you watch the Ronan Farrow show on MSNBC in the mornings? Mia admits now he isn't Woody Allen's son. She cheated on him when they were a couple. He's Frank Sinatra's son. He's a dead ringer for Frank in the 1940s so she can hardly deny it. Has the same speaking voice, too. Strange to see Frank Sinatra sitting there giving the news.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 am

Frank Sinatra's son! :o

Wow.

rjm

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 pm

rjm wrote:Frank Sinatra's son! :o

Wow.

It's still only a possibility, no DNA test has been done. On the other hand, you only have to look at him...

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:52 am

Sadly this set has been put back a week - again - to Dec 15th, according to Amazon UK.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:16 pm

It should still get here by Christmas.

The Pirate wrote:
rjm wrote:Frank Sinatra's son! :o

Wow.

It's still only a possibility, no DNA test has been done. On the other hand, you only have to look at him...