Off Topic Messages

WINDOWS 10

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 am

anyone upgrade to windows 10 is it worth it ?

Re: WINDOWS 10

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 am

I am certainly going to do it. It brings things back to Win7 a bit. Start button is back for real and the split personality is gonesville!

The "live tiles" are still there but I am hoping you can turn them off. Do not care for them. Widgets belong on a phone, not a PC. Just a face-saving move in keeping them.

Just need to make sure Norton is ready; they just upgraded their apps so I think it will be fine. There had been an incompatibility. But they fixed it.

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:24 am

I'm sticking with Win7.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:25 pm

I did it last night. I actually didn't want to do it, I was in the middle of getting all my stuff backed up, and new programs installed to cover the ones that I suspected wouldn't work after the change. I made the mistake of Googling too much information, and I discovered a way of bringing forward the installation process - it's being done in waves, so not everyone will get it straight away - but all I really wanted to do was get the "It's ready to install when you want it" notice. I got that, set a request to install it tomorrow (31st) and next thing I knew it had started the upgrade process. It took about an hour or so, maybe a bit longer on my machine, and when I woke up this morning it was all there.

It's OK, it's not a lot different to look at than Windows 7 (which is what I had) but greatly different to Windows 8 which is where I guess the big draw is. It looks a bit more angular and blocky than Windows 7, I think I prefer the look of 7 in fact, but I'm going to keep it because there's no point going back. So far I've found two programs that didn't work, despite me getting no warning of this before hand in the "compatibility" test, one of them was my Microsoft Money program which I use to keep track of all my banking. I spent two hours yesterday afternoon sorting all this out so that I'd have no problems, and still it didn't work. Luckily I managed to find a web page where somebody had given a registry edit to fix it, and it's all OK now, but I would imagine there are thousands or even millions of people across the globe tearing their hair out over this, and who don't know how to find the fix.

The other one that is kaput is my email software, of all things. Once again, no warning that this would happen. That's the whole point of running the compatibility test! I now have to find a new one, and work out a way of transferring all my email addresses over even though it'll be a completely different kind of database. I think there is a way, but I could do without the hassle.

Having said that, I like to tinker with computers. I just bought a new laptop which is still in the box, so I'm going to get everything running the way I like it on this old one and it'll then (this is the plan, anyway) make it easier to get the new one working.

If I hadn't been buying this new machine, which will have Windows 8 on it (and which I didn't want, and which I therefore knew I'd be upgrading immediately) then I probably wouldn't have bothered putting 10 on my existing machine. I'll probably find new features on here when I start digging, but will I need them? I don't see any big improvement yet, from 7.

HERE'S A HANDY PAGE, IF YOU ARE IMPATIENTLY WAITING FOR YOUR UPGRADE

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-free-upgrade-still-not-showing-up-this-trick-will-help/

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:44 pm

tcb4elvis wrote:anyone upgrade to windows 10 is it worth it ?

I have evaluated each and every build of Windows 10 for Microsoft this year and have now been given the activation key for the final Pro build last Sunday from The Microsoft Team.
From Windows 95 to Windows 8.1 I can honestly say Windows 10 is absolutely the finest operating system ever produced from any developer. Even at it's earliest stage it is flawless, fast and reliable. It can allocate ram, search, and boot faster and is more stable than any other previous OS.

SteamrollerBlues wrote:I'm sticking with Win7.

I can tell you this not only is Win 7 a resource hog is only in reality a fetal stage of what Windows 10 represents and you will be forced to update once the updates cease along with antivirus supports for this older OS. This is 2015 not 2005 and advanced resolutions for newer processing techniques have derived to warrant these upgrades. You can either catch up to them or they will catch up to you eventually.

Anyone who would prefer using Windows 7 over the new Microsoft Windows 10 obviously does not understand or comprehend software.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:46 pm

Or, people could just try it and make up their own minds.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:24 pm

promiseland wrote:Anyone who would prefer using Windows 7 over the new Microsoft Windows 10 obviously does not understand or comprehend software.

Nah. I just like Windows 7.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:49 pm

SteamrollerBlues wrote:
promiseland wrote:Anyone who would prefer using Windows 7 over the new Microsoft Windows 10 obviously does not understand or comprehend software.

Nah. I just like Windows 7.

How dare you have a mind of your own. Get out now, and don't come back.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:25 pm

I am very happy with Windows 7 and I'm in no rush to upgrade to Windows 10.
I know I will have to eventually but I'd rather wait and see what software will and will not run on it - I have no desire to have to purchase new versions of the programmes I use.
I read that Microsoft will continue to support Windows 7 for the next 8 years anyway.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm still running on XP and will continue to do so until it is pried from my cold dead PC....

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:30 am

Mister Mike wrote:I'm still running on XP and will continue to do so until it is pried from my cold dead PC....

or when it stops working

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:51 am

Downloading now.

The Direct X12 feature is the main thing I look forward to :)

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:24 am

Elfan wrote:I am very happy with Windows 7 and I'm in no rush to upgrade to Windows 10.
I know I will have to eventually but I'd rather wait and see what software will and will not run on it - I have no desire to have to purchase new versions of the programmes I use.
I read that Microsoft will continue to support Windows 7 for the next 8 years anyway.

Everything that runs on Windows 7 will also run on Windows 10 just a little smoother.
I wouldn't count on a full 8 years of support. There is also no guarantee other 3rd party software will continue to support Windows 7 such as Antivirus and Browser extentions.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:07 pm

promiseland wrote:Everything that runs on Windows 7 will also run on Windows 10 just a little smoother.

This is not true.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:04 pm

i think i will buy a new computer with windows 10 on it what brand is best

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 pm

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-7-support-ends-today/

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm

I meant security update support; apparently that will continue for another 8 years or so.
I will get Win 10 eventually, there's just no rush to do it.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:35 pm

I upgraded on Day 1. I had an issue with my track pad driver that I have now resolved. Otherwise, the upgrade was straightforward. I think it is a significant improvement on Windows 8.1.

The new browser (Microsoft Edge) is quicker and cleaner than IE and Cortana is a nice addition. Overall, the UI feels snappier and more intuitive.

Chris

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:46 pm

The Pirate wrote:
promiseland wrote:Everything that runs on Windows 7 will also run on Windows 10 just a little smoother.

This is not true.

No comment? I'll take that as an apology then.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:58 pm

The Pirate wrote:

This is not true.

How about you give us an example ?

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:08 pm

The Pirate wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

This is not true.

No comment? I'll take that as an apology then.

What you don't seem to understand is that Windows 10 is a fix of what was buggy and inferior in the previous OS versions of Windows 7/8.1, and is more recognized as a upgrade than a new OS to those who followed through the Technical Previews that resulted in the final 10240 build which started in the earlier ranges with Win 7.
I would get into the newer Kernel Transactions of 10 debugging features and their software relations as compared to 7 in which all standard API calls still works the same as in previous versions of Windows. but I think I have already wasted enough time here.
Hope you learned something here I'm always glad to help. :wink:
Last edited by promiseland on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:26 pm

promiseland wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

This is not true.

http://www.mvpmods.com/forums/topic/573 ... 10-thread/

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:34 pm

SteamrollerBlues wrote:
promiseland wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

This is not true.

Yes let's use games as an example. :roll: There are still chipset issues on some of the latest graphic cards on all the newer and older OS compatibilities regardless of Win versions.
:facep:
You all have fun praising your older obsolete versions of Windows I'm checking out of this topic I've wasted enough time here ..back to enjoying the new Windows 10. :smt024

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:46 pm

promiseland wrote:
SteamrollerBlues wrote:
promiseland wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

This is not true.

Yes let's use games as an example. :roll: There are still chipset issues on some of the latest graphic cards on all the newer and older OS compatibilities regardless of Win versions.
:facep:
You all have fun praising your older obsolete versions of Windows I'm checking out of this topic I've wasted enough time here ..back to enjoying the new Windows 10. :smt024

Hey you asked for an example. I just gave you one.

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:55 am

promiseland wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

This is not true.

3D Calendar, Stardock fences, Microsoft Money... Oh, my mistake, you only wanted one example. And that's just on my laptop. I doubt I have the only three programs in the whole world which didn't work with Windows 10.

Edit - make that four programs, I forgot about the email program that I already mentioned previously. So add Forte Agent as well.
Last edited by The Pirate on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.