Off Topic Messages

Rob Schneider doing "Plantation Rock".

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Eagle USa mentionned this one on another thread, and it got me thinking, what if Elvis had done a movie only concert in the early 70s, a tip of the hat to his movies, live in concert! It would have great! Anyways here is a live rendition of Plantation Rock by Rob Schneider, he obviously loves Elvis, and I have seen him Bossa Nova Baby as well a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUKwNferYlU

Re: Rob Schneider doing "Plantation Rock".

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:47 pm

:lol: Thanks, Patrick. I admit, Rob's interpretation of this song is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I'm not sure how an "All Movie Songs" concert would have gone over in the early '70's, however. At that particular time, I think Elvis was trying to put his movie career behind him to an extent and, save for a few exceptions like Jailhouse Rock, Can't Help Falling In Love, Love Me Tender, etc. I doubt he was interested in reliving a period in his career that in his mind was somewhat disappointing.

If Elvis had lived into the '80's and '90's, it's possible he may have done a segment of his show (by that time, hopefully, he would have performed fewer but longer shows) and incorporated a handful of movie songs like Return To Sender, Viva Las Vegas, Come On Everybody, and so on. I think the audience would have enjoyed it.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:26 pm

Ur right, the audience would have loved it, Elvis doing live renditions, of Plantation Rock, Bossa Nova Baby, You Don't Know Me, GI Blues, etc....

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:19 am

Thanks for the link, Patrick.
I would've missed that one ... love Rob Schneider's quote ... "Elvis was missing a quality
control button" regarding some song selections.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:31 am

Thanks, Patrick!

Cool clip :-)

Rich

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:43 am

It's not a bad performance, but it hardly rescues the song. The reason "Plantation Rock" has any legitimacy to be performed at all is not really Schneider -- it's the catchy beat and basic blues chords it's built out of. Lyrically, it really is a piss-poor song and that's the end of it. (IMO)

While Schneider seems like a genuine fan, I don't actually appreciate him saying that Elvis, "lacked a quality control button". It's way too broad a comment, and without augmentation, it leaves the uninitiated (who Schneider is appealing to) with the impression that Elvis had poor taste, which damages his credibility. It would have been better if Schneider chose a better joke or moved beyond the one he deployed to explain what happened; yes, there was a little expansion with the joke about Elvis being pointed out and made to sing during the movie era, but that was just a little tremor of a remark. And I know Schneider was only toying with those moves at the end, but jeeze ... more negative reinforcement of a caricature.

Sorry -- I know it was meant to be a little bit of fun. And Schneider is a funny guy. But the fun always seems to be had at EP's expense.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:03 am

Cryogenic wrote:It's not a bad performance, but it hardly rescues the song. The reason "Plantation Rock" has any legitimacy to be performed at all is not really Schneider -- it's the catchy beat and basic blues chords it's built out of. Lyrically, it really is a piss-poor song and that's the end of it. (IMO)

While Schneider seems like a genuine fan, I don't actually appreciate him saying that Elvis, "lacked a quality control button". It's way too broad a comment, and without augmentation, it leaves the uninitiated (who Schneider is appealing to) with the impression that Elvis had poor taste, which damages his credibility. It would have been better if Schneider chose a better joke or moved beyond the one he deployed to explain what happened; yes, there was a little expansion with the joke about Elvis being pointed out and made to sing during the movie era, but that was just a little tremor of a remark. And I know Schneider was only toying with those moves at the end, but jeeze ... more negative reinforcement of a caricature.

Sorry -- I know it was meant to be a little bit of fun. And Schneider is a funny guy. But the fun always seems to be had at EP's expense.

Garbage!!

Even though i am not really a fan of Schneider's , i think that his comment "Elvis was missing a quality
control button" was spot on.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:27 am

Promocollector wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:It's not a bad performance, but it hardly rescues the song. The reason "Plantation Rock" has any legitimacy to be performed at all is not really Schneider -- it's the catchy beat and basic blues chords it's built out of. Lyrically, it really is a piss-poor song and that's the end of it. (IMO)

Garbage!!

If you keep targeting me with your pathetic swipes, I shall do everything in my power to have you thrown off. And, given the rules here and how you openly flout them, I can't imagine it being difficult.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:05 am

What's your problem? It was garbage.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:05 am

Cryogenic wrote:I
While Schneider seems like a genuine fan, I don't actually appreciate him saying that Elvis, "lacked a quality control button".

Cryo, apparently my cynicism was rather latent ... I find humour in Rob Schneider finding fault
with Elvis' choice of art. Mr. Schneider's "Deuce Bigalow" makes "Clambake" look like "film noir" by
comparison.
I absolutely feel that Schneider is stepping on Elvis' back in order to escalate his own cause.
Much like the hack ETA who prefacess his own crappy version of "My Way" by saying that Elvis
had lost his vocal ability at the end.

Having said that, I did get a kick out of hearing the song one more time. I really liked the band's
live arrangement of a kickass melody.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 am

Plantation Rock is a long time favorite because it's such a hypnotic beat. Love the long version found on the vinyl boot of the same name. It was artifically lengthened but really gets into a groove. Much better then most of the soundtrack songs of the period, Red West once said Elvis liked the song and had Red and Charlie rewrite it with better words. It was called Gonna Have A Good Time, and the words appear on the back of the great 80's boot Elvis Rocks And The Girls Roll. Too bad it was never re-recorded because I think it could have been a hit. Perhaps Elvis liking the song enough to have it rewriten was why it didn't come out in 1962. I probably have a weak spot for the song because that's the first bootleg I ever heard.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Great clip, thank you! And IMO only a hardcore fan can be familiar with that songs and sing it on television too!

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHxoQSncHb8

If anyone missed this Schneider bit from around the time Priscilla's book came out...here it is.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:26 pm

How about we all make a list of movie songs that we would have loved hearing Elvis do in Concert?????
Here is my movie years concert:

Girls, Girls Girls
Bosa Nova Baby
Plantation Rock
Loving You
Let us Pray
Love Me Tender
Beach Boy Blues
Return To Sender
You Don't Know Me
Rock A Hula Baby
Mexico
Please Don't Stop Loving Me
Jailhouse Rock
Don't Leave Me Now
New Orleans
GI Blues
One Broken Heart For Sale
Kissin Kousins
Puppet On A string
Swing Down Sweet Chariot
King Creole
Viva Las Vegas
C'mon Everybody
Can't Help Falling In Love.

And this would be done as a one time 1970 Vegas concert taped for TV.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello,

I've been searching for a recording of Rob Schneider's cover of "Plantation Rock" - I'm wondering if anyone from this forum thought it was important enough to keep a copy of back when this thread started in 2007? Can anyone help me out, any leads?

Thank you,
-E∞