Off Topic Messages

Buddy Holly --> 56 Years Ago, The Day The Music Died

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:03 am

Rock 'n' roll lost one of its brightest lights 56 years ago today: Buddy Holly.

580000_Buddy Holly.jpg

Here's a neat 2009 news report about the teenage gal who took the only photos of the last show, Monday, February 2, 1959 at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA:

MN woman takes only known photos of Buddy Holly's last show
http://www.kare11.com/video/47276984001/0/MN-woman-takes-only-known-photos-of-Buddy-Hollys-last-show

With Waylon Jennings, Carlo Mastrangelo (from the Belmonts) and Tommy Allsup, Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, IA - Monday, February 2, 1959

590203_Mason City Globe-Gazette.jpg

We still miss ya, Buddy.

580126_w Ed Sullivan_New York.jpg
At rehearsal with Ed Sullivan - Sunday, January 26, 1958

phpBB [video]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Buddy Holly --> 56 Years Ago, The Day The Music Died

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 am

Beautiful, John, thank you: excellent link.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Newspapers from around the world ran with similar headlines the next day.

Gee, we're gonna miss you. Everybody sends their love ...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 pm

George Smith wrote:Beautiful, John, thank you: excellent link.

Buddy would be 78 years old today, had the tragedy not occurred. How different might things be, had he continued in the music business? Among many things, he influenced the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 am

AndrewJ wrote:Newspapers from around the world ran with similar headlines the next day.

Those were neat. Thanks for sharing them. I wonder how Elvis felt when he heard the news, over in Gernmany? I'm pretty sure he sent flowers to each of the services.

Sad, sad day ... and a huge loss for rock 'n' roll.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:Newspapers from around the world ran with similar headlines the next day.

Those were neat. Thanks for sharing them. I wonder how Elvis felt when he heard the news, over in Germany? I'm pretty sure he sent flowers to each of the services.

Elvis apparently, or perhaps wrote a letter about it to the Holley family. It was edited by someone, thought to be Vernon. He claimed he never met Buddy Holl(e)y, "personally." He apparently did. But in any event, said he was "shattered." The only problem with this document is that it says "my beloved mum." That's . . . weird. So, I'm not posting it. It sure looks like his handwriting. But "mum"? (It might be that he didn't close the top of the "o." I don't know . . .)

rjm

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:48 am

Seems appropriate:

phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Those were neat. Thanks for sharing them. I wonder how Elvis felt when he heard the news, over in Gernmany? I'm pretty sure he sent flowers to each of the services.

No problem.

I read that a bouquet and telegram was sent to the Holley family in Lubbock from Elvis - but always wondered if this was the work of the Colonel?

I always thought Buddy and Elvis were the two cornerstones of rock n roll - Elvis made others want to do it; Buddy showed them how (yes, very simplified).

I have always wondered what would have become of Buddy had he lived - he was still composing songs at a fantastic rate in the weeks before his death. He had plans to build his own studio and produce others. We do miss you Buddy!

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:18 am

The legend will never die.

Great guy but a sad short life...tragic.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Buddy was one of the greats and his sound was ahead of it's time. Never to be forgotten.

Brian

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:35 am

rjm wrote:Elvis apparently, or perhaps wrote a letter about it to the Holley family. It was edited by someone, thought to be Vernon. He claimed he never met Buddy Holl(e)y, "personally." He apparently did. But in any event, said he was "shattered." The only problem with this document is that it says "my beloved mum." That's . . . weird. So, I'm not posting it. It sure looks like his handwriting. But "mum"? (It might be that he didn't close the top of the "o." I don't know . . .)

Some have debunked the legitimacy of that handwritten artifact. But I'd like to believe it is authentic, for a number of reasons.