Off Topic Messages

Coldplay

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:43 pm

Any Coldplay fans here? They never really did captured my ear before this year. Those new songs they have been playing the heck out of on the music channels, I am really diggin. I'm thinking of getting that new "X&Y" CD. They seem pretty good to me. I know its sort of cliche, but I do think they sound a bit like U2.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:02 pm

Jeff,

I'm a big Coldplay fan! 'X&Y' is their 3rd album. Their first album (Parachutes 2000) was a solid debut album but it was their 2nd (A Rush of Blood to the Head 2002) that put them on the map. 'X&Y' is IMO their best album yet! It's difficult to pick a stand-out track as the standard is generally very high although 'Fix You' could become their equivalent of U2's 'One'. It also features a great song 'Til Kingdom Come' that they wrote for Johnny Cash before he passed away.

They have also cracked America which is great to see after the relative failures of Oasis and a few others. If you get the chance try and catch 'VH2 - Storytellers' which showcases a Coldplay show in New York in May of this year. They are touring the States and Canada in August & September and they put on a great live show.

Former Oasis label boss Alan Magee labelled theirs 'Music for bedwetters!' a few years ago, but I can see Coldplay having the last laugh! :D

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:44 pm

Actually I am a Cold Play fan and I saw a sold out concert from Rush Of Blood tour. There were unbelievable. Truly a great rock band and although played out, to this day Yellow was truly inspiring to see live. Those words....I'd Bleed Myself dry for you...CLASSIC.

Everything's Not Lost, Clocks, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, The Scientist, In My Place...those all stand out to me. I think it is unfair to compare them to U2. They have their own sound to me. Also I think the lead singer has more charisma...IF they can get along(they talked of breaking up before). That dude had alot of energy.

Damn now that something has been said about their latest effort it makes me wanna buy. lol I liked the first single and I have seen alot on them lately.

This is where rock should be as far sound goes, but they seem self indulgent. I hate that crap. Just shut up and write great songs!

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:06 pm

I absolutely loved Coldpaly's first 2 albums, but this third album is just horrible. Chris Martin doesn't make good music unless he seems to be suicidely depresed (note the marrage to Gweneth Paltrow) I listened to the entire new cd from start to finish and found it to be dreadfully boring, and not catchy in the least, except there is one song on there that is a direct ripoff of their own Clocks with almost the exact piano. Coldplay singing happy tunes just doesn't cut it....but again, thats my opinion.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:46 pm

bamiller_1 wrote:this third album is just horrible.

Ouch!!

This the BBC review. I know who's side I'm on! :D

You've heard the single, read the reviews and listened to the interviews; everything suggests Coldplay's new album is going to be great. But it's not until you hear the first few bars of the opening track that you know that the band are going to achieve everything they hoped and dreamed of.
This album is superb. It'll silence their critics, amaze their fans and win them a whole new legion of admirers. It might even bring about world peace! I'm sure that was one of Chris Martin's objectives for this album...

"Square One" opens the record in typically anthemic fashion: 'Is there anywhere you want to go? The future's for discovering'. Martin has the knack of writing lyrics that affect individuals on a massive scale. Thousands have fallen for his simple songs about hope, loss, love and happiness. X&Y is full of touching eulogies such as "A Message" and "Swallowed In The Sea" which express complete and honest love for a partner.

Much has been made of Coldplay challenging U2's title of biggest band in the world. Martin may spend a great deal of time emulating Bono by talking to politicians and canvassing support for his causes but, unlike Bono, these issues haven't crept into his songwriting. There are no protest songs here.

On this record Martin proves once again that he's an excellent singer while Buckland has become, according to Chris, a 'guitar hero'. Add bass player Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion and you have four great musicians. Their powers peak on "Talk", a fantastic song that is, on an album of big songs, positively gargantuan. More evidence that Coldplay are far and away the best at what they do. Imitators such as Thirteen Senses, Keane and Longview can't touch them.

Other album highlights include "Low", perhaps the most frantic song they've recorded, which features some awesome guitar licks. And the secret final track, "'Til Kingdom Come", where the threadbare acoustic guitar contrasts wonderfully with the big album sound.

Martin has repeatedly spoken of how he loves every minute of being in Coldplay. His passion is genuine; he's living his dream, making music he loves and playing live to thousands of adoring fans every night. And Martin is doing all this with his three best mates. Coldplay are a closely knit group of musicians, a band of men with one aim - to make the best music in the world. On the epic X&Y they're on the brink of achieving that goal.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:05 pm

I'm going to get the new CD "X&Y"... since that one has the songs I seem to like. When I heard them in years past they just never, really cought my ear, but I had some friends saying good things about them at the time.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:22 am

I got the CD in the mail today. It is very good! I think my favorite thus far is White Shadows. I can still hear the U2 influence though.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:37 am

Glad you like it! It's a fine album. 8)

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:20 am

I didn't like them at first but they are growing on me, a friend did me a mp3 disc of their albums, very good too, I love "The Scientist" tis on my ipod as I speak :D

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:59 am

When my Mother died 2 years ago I played Coldplay's 'Rush of Blood' constantly for some time. At times like that certain songs and vocals hit a chord! 'The Scientist' and 'Politik' can tug at the heartstrings. Did for me anyway. Another funny thing, The day after my Mother died I was driving to see my Dad and 'Mama Liked The Roses' came on the radio. The only time I've heard it on the radio.