Off Topic Messages

Scotty beamed up!!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:46 pm

James Doohan, 'Scotty,' Dies At 85

POSTED: 11:31 am EDT July 20, 2005
UPDATED: 12:33 pm EDT July 20, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- The publicist for James Doohan says the actor who played Scotty on "Star Trek" has died at his home in Redmond, Wash. He was 85. The cause of his death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease.

In Doohan's biography on the official Star Trek Web site, Doohan is described as once being the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces."

Doohan's "Star Trek" character often played a central role in the series and movies, troubleshooting problems on the Starship Enterprise to save the day.

He's been immortalized in the well-known line from "Beam me up, Scotty."

Doohan was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia, and left home at age 19 to join the Canadian Forces, fighting with the Allies in World War II. He then became a captain in the Royal Canadian Artillery and led troops into battle on D-Day, the Web site said.

Besides starring as the chief engineer aboard the "Enterprise" in the original Star Trek series, which debuted on NBC in 1966, Doohan had parts in more than 100 motion pictures and television series, including "The Twilight Zone," "Outer Limits," "Fantasy Island," "Loaded Weapon 1" and "Double Trouble."

Tom

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:02 pm

I am deeply saddened by this. R.I.P. It gives one's own sense of mortalitly. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have one's memory.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Alzheimer's disease.

I had a member of my family with this bad disease...sad.

He was a good actor,and its a pity he could not get the roles after the tv show ended.

Rest in peace big man.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:11 am

Warp speed to you Scotty.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:34 am

Gosh this makes me sad. It's very sad to see even Star Trek moving off into history.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:46 pm

He's at rest with God now, his suffering is over. I really did like watching those re-runs of the original series in my younger years.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:46 am

"Aye, Cap'n"

- warp speed to the afterlife.

Peace.

Scotty Beamed Up

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:57 pm

So Long Captian Scott

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:13 pm

There's a story on one of the newspaper obituaries that Elvis' limo once pulled up alongside him, Elvis wound the window down and said 'Beam me up Scotty' before driving off. :D

R.I.P

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:21 am

I loved the Star Trek series as a kid.......and the movies later on as well. DeForrest Kelly and James Doohan both gone now :cry:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:03 am

I was on vacation last week when I heard of James Doohan's passing while watching the 11:00 pm news. I confess that I got a little tearful. The cast of the original Star Trek are like old familiar friends to those of us fans who watched the show in both it's original run and in syndication.
RIP Scotty. (God I feel old!)