Off Topic Messages

springsteen live from new york

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:05 pm

at the risk of dr john mowing me under what in the world is so great about steen? his songs writing i know are classics but after watching live from new york i come to the conclussion the man can not sing worth a lick maybe cause hes in his 50's i dunno. he just screams and shout his words as far as a singer goes elvis in 1977 sang better than ol bruces on his best day. i know bruce does 3 hour shows but man he awful. just my 2 cents.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:26 pm

Scottngeorgia -

You wrote [about Bruce Springsteen]:
.....he just screams and shout his words

You aren't supposed to notice that !

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:07 am

to each his own, but Springsteen is one of the last of the great original Rockers...

I have those DVD's, and have seen Bruce close to a dozen times, (going to the show in Greensboro next week in fact), and the man gets better and better with age, his performing, singing, songwriting, everything, and he does it with style and grace.

wish Elvis had followed that same road...

had Elvis lived, he could have learned a thing or two from Bruce...

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:36 pm

the only thing elvis could have learned from the boss is off stage but certainly not on stage.
Last edited by scottngeorgia on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:43 pm

Scott,
Are you originally from this country?

Tom

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:50 pm

yes tinc ive live in the north georgia area all my life. now dont get me wrong about the boss in the 80s from 84 to say around 92 i listen to him quite frequently/ i have all his cds except the wild innocent e street shuffle and his last two i guess i grew out of bossamania. i will say this pink cadillac would have been perfect for elvis. would also like to add my favorite boss song is not one of his hits. its a song called point blank from the the doulble alblum lol as elvis would say THE RIVER. i know tinc you were making fun of my typing skills but he to each's on. i usually dont post much on here cause of people like you.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:59 pm

How incredibly interesting that you referred to me as "tinc". Hmmmmmm?!

Tom

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:44 pm

ive seen other people reply with tinc neighbor lol.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:46 pm

Yeah, I'm sure that's why you did it. :wink:

Tom

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:47 pm

actually its quicker than typing out TOM IN NORTH CAROLINA

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 pm

OK, I believe you. Geesh! :wink:

Tom

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:01 pm

Scott, just be sure that when you speak to Tom you make sure and spell TINC and not DINK - that name is copyrighted by Tom to be used when referring to this little alien who visits us on occasion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:11 pm

OK, I don't even know what that means, BBM.

Tom

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:47 am

scottngeorgia wrote:the only thing elvis could have learned from the boss is off stage but certainly not on stage.

Elvis couldn't have a learned a thing or two from Springsteen "On Stage"?

really? that's quite funny, considering Bruce steps on the stage to perform
and give 1000%, sings and plays with the same kind of intensity and passion he felt when he started out!!! Something Elvis got bored and tired of shortly after 1970...

Bruce gives nonstop kick A$$ 3 hour shows, performs a wide range of his 30+ year catalog and often times rearranges some of the "HITS", as to avoid them becoming stale and nostolgic.

Bruce doen't appear on stage stumbling around, mumbling or forgetting lyrics like Elvis did. I really don't want this to start a whole bitchin' argument, but hey, give Bruce the credit he is due.

look at the incredible left turn he jus took in releasing one of his finest cd's in his whole career and not only has it recieved rave reviews, the cd debuted at #1 with sales over 222,000 units, already going GOLD on it's way to Platinum.

How many other contemporary artists with 30 years behind him can claim that hold on fame, especially in this day and age when a #1 single or album is tomorrow's forgotten oldie?

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:25 pm

minkahed wrote:Elvis couldn't have a learned a thing or two from Springsteen "On Stage"?

and give 1000%, sings and plays with the same kind of intensity and passion he felt when he started out!!! Something Elvis got bored and tired of shortly after 1970...

Bruce gives nonstop kick A$$ 3 hour shows, performs a wide range of his 30+ year catalog and often times rearranges some of the "HITS", as to avoid them becoming stale and nostolgic.

Bruce doen't appear on stage stumbling around, mumbling or forgetting lyrics like Elvis did. I really don't want this to start a whole bitchin' argument, but hey, give Bruce the credit he is due.

look at the incredible left turn he jus took in releasing one of his finest cd's in his whole career and not only has it recieved rave reviews, the cd debuted at #1 with sales over 222,000 units, already going GOLD on it's way to Platinum.

How many other contemporary artists with 30 years behind him can claim that hold on fame, especially in this day and age when a #1 single or album is tomorrow's forgotten oldie?

Perhaps Georgia Scott can read and learn a bit from your magnificent and totally spot-on reply.

DJC

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:25 pm

Minkahed, I appreciate the fact that you like Springstein, but why hammer on Elvis? You don't think that he along with other artists learned from Elvis' mistakes. And for the record, EP gave a ton of great and passionate performances after 1970, sorry though if he doesn't rate at Bruce's level in your eyes. I get a kick out of Springstein fans, one negative comment and they go bullistic. I forgot, Bruce can do no wrong.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:29 am

It's not that Bruce can "do no wrong." Plenty of people love him, and many people don't. He is very well-known for the quality and length of his shows; unfortunately, Elvis is not (particularly some of his later shows).

Elvis did do shows that were not very good. He should not have been on stage many times. He did what he could do for the fans while his health was failing, and for that he should be given credit. But, too often in the Elvis world we ask, "What was his mood..." for a particular show, when that should already be a given. You don't hear the same things asked of Springsteen.

Don't get me wrong. I would rather have seen Elvis at his worst than anyone else at their best. But the reality is that some performers did
outperform Elvis--not necessarily from a "talent" standpoint, but factoring in other variables.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:29 am

Joe Car wrote:

Minkahed, I appreciate the fact that you like Springstein, but why hammer on Elvis? You don't think that he along with other artists learned from Elvis' mistakes. And for the record, EP gave a ton of great and passionate performances after 1970, sorry though if he doesn't rate at Bruce's level in your eyes. I get a kick out of Springstein fans, one negative comment and they go bullistic. I forgot, Bruce can do no wrong.

First off, It's Springsteen, not Springstein!!! jeesh...

Second, why is it that when I speak of the truth, it is considered "Hammering on Elvis"?

what I wrote is completely Fact...jus calling it like I see it.

and your last sentence actually applies to most ELVIS fans...one negative comment and it's considered "Hammering On Elvis"...

oh, I forgot, Elvis could do no wrong! :roll:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:03 pm

Minkahed, read what you wrote, you did slam EP. Give Springsteen his due, I don't care, but not at the expense of Elvis. The original poster made an observation about Bruce's voice. I'm going to watch the Aloha DVD now and watch EP put on a clinic on how to sing. Btw, it's doesn't not doen't!

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:24 pm

I'm going to see the Boss tonight in Charlotte! I've been a Bruce Springsteen fan since the Born To Run days back in '76. I've seen Bruce in concert in August '78; Dec. '80; July '84; Feb. '00 (the E-Street Band reunion tour); and summer '03. While I'm not as rabid a fan as I once was, I still enjoy his music, and in particular his live shows.

The comparison of the live/70's Elvis with Bruce isn't really valid. 70's Elvis was more akin to Tom Jones or Neil Diamond: an all-encompassing singer-showman. Bruce, after all is said & done, is still a rock based performer, albeit a very versatile one.

Even to compare Elvis at his modern-day live best (the 68 special live segments and the 69-70 early Vegas era) to Bruce live is a bit off base. An hour long concert in 69-70 was considered a reasonably long concert, even generous, for a solo singer such as Evis.

I remember when Springsteen did the Darkness On The Edge of Town tour. These concerts ran 3 to 3-1/2 hours long. This caused other male rock singers, and other rock bands in general, to increase the length of their live shows. So in that regard Bruce certainly raised the bar.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:31 pm

hey mink i think that girl on your sig could teach elvis a thing or two off stage oh hell forget elvis hes dead , she could teach me a thing or two haha

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:06 pm

Joe Car wrote:Minkahed, read what you wrote, you did slam EP. Give Springsteen his due, I don't care, but not at the expense of Elvis. The original poster made an observation about Bruce's voice. I'm going to watch the Aloha DVD now and watch EP put on a clinic on how to sing. Btw, it's doesn't not doen't!

so, I guess by me mentioning that EP used to mumble, stumble and forget lyrics "ON STAGE", I'm slamming him? is there not any truth to that?

Elvis is my all time fav artist, above everyone in my book, but I can also be objective about how I feel of a certain aspect of Elvis' life, whether it was the drug intake, sloppy performances, bad movies...etc etc...

you go right ahead and watch your Aloha DVD, (great show by the way) maybe I'll go ahead and pop in my Live In Barcelona DVD and watch Bruce put on a clinic of how a 30 year old still living, growing old gracefully Rock legend can put on a staggering 3 hour performance and do it with style, high intensity, passion, creativeness and grace...

something I still wish Elvis had lived to attain.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:03 am

minkahed, I'm just as objective about EP as anybody. The guy said that he thought Springsteen was in poor voice for that particular show. Go and plop in your Spain concert, I've got seven hours of the 68 special that puts anything your guy does to shame.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:17 am

Joe Car wrote:Minkahed, read what you wrote, you did slam EP

Being honest is not a "slam." If EP had more objectivity in his life, he'd be alive today.

DJC

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Minkahed, read what you wrote, you did slam EP

Being honest is not a "slam." If EP had more objectivity in his life, he'd be alive today.

DJC

I understand that Doc, but there are new members everyday joining this forum, not to mention the younger lurkers who might get the wrong impression about EP in the seventies. I also dare to say that Bruce learned more from Elvis then EP could have ever learned from him.