Off Topic Messages

The Eagles "Farewell Tour" new dvd.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:56 am

Has anyone seen this yet, and if so whats it like compared to the amazing "Hell Freezes Over"?.........It certainly looks as good as...or even better?

Thanks
Sq

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:04 am

Well, The Eagles are not quite the same band as they were during HFO. Don Felder is no longer with the band and it is a major void they haven't been able to fill, especially considering they are using a session musician from Nashville. The DVD is a great set-list and a more complete picture of a current Eagles concert, but HFO is in a class of its own. A deluxe edition of HFO would be essential as there are a handful of great tunes that did not make the DVD that were recorded, but because of the on-going lawsuit between Felder and Henley/Frey/Azoff, anything in the vaults with Felder on it will remain unreleased for a very very long time.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:01 pm

A sad fact! Nobody can ever replace Don Felder. It would be far more interesting to get a dvd with archive footage from the ´70 concerts IMO, bit I guess that will not happen for a long, long time...too bad.

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:10 pm

I like this set a lot. The band sounds great. Not sure how I would compare it to "Hell Freezes Over," as it stands on its own, in my opinion.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:36 am

A sad fact! Nobody can ever replace Don Felder. It would be far more interesting to get a dvd with archive footage from the ´70 concerts IMO, bit I guess that will not happen for a long, long time...too bad.

MB280E, as usual, we share the same musical opinions. What are you listening to this summer?

Re: The Eagles "Farewell Tour" new dvd.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:03 am

the squirrel wrote:Has anyone seen this yet, and if so whats it like compared to the amazing "Hell Freezes Over"?.........It certainly looks as good as...or even better?

Thanks
Sq

Hi Squirrel:

They showed a 2 hour version on Network TV (with commercials) here in the US.

I did enjoy it - but it's not going to be as good as HFO.

The song list is definately better.

But there's no reason to hesitate - go ahead and pick up a copy :wink:

Rich

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:19 am

I have to say that I've watched this new DVD set repeatedly since I bought it last week! In my opinion, this is what the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD should have been!

Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:28 am

I have to say that I've watched this new DVD set repeatedly since I bought it last week! In my opinion, this is what the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD should have been!

HFO could be somewhat similar if they would release one of the entire concerts filmed for the event. Some real cool tracks were left out, particularly 'One Of These Nights.' Still even though the new DVD has a superior setlist, there is no way this current line-up of the band is in the same league as the line-up that included Felder.
Last edited by midnightx on Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 am

midnightx wrote:

MB280E, as usual, we share the same musical opinions. What are you listening to this summer?

Yeah, this is beginning to be a (bad) habit isn´t it? :) I´m into Cream these days. Have been busy downloading lots of live stuff from the cream2005.com site. Other than that, Elvis of course. My Pink Floyd interest was boosted by their Live8 performance, really nice to hear Roger Waters on bass again, that´s the way it was always meant to be. I am also collecting the official Mountain bootleg series and have bought the cd´s they´ve released so far. The soundquality varies a lot but the content weighs up for it IMO. The last one I bought was Vol. 7 which according to the cover should be from their Woodstock ´69 performance, this, however I doubt very much as I´ve already found that one of the songs (Theme For An Imaginary Western for example) is not the same version as released on the Woodstock II album. A bit disappointing. Since I posted my reply to you on this topic I have also been listening a great deal to a soundboard Eagles bootleg from Houston ´77. It has a great version of Witchy Woman on it with a fantastic guitar intro by Joe Walsh, always gives me goosebumps to listen to that one at high volumes through quality headphones. He´s always been among my favourite guitarplayers, although I liked him best when he was with The James Gang. I could also mention that I have just bought the upgraded and remastered version of Pear by Janis Joplin, that´s a great album, too.

How about you?

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:55 am

I recieved the dvd a few days ago.

The tracklisting is great, it's what "Hell Freezes Over" should have been, and could be with an SE release etc.

My opinion on this dvd after watching it though is-

The performances are excellent throughout......Joe is cool (his usual slightly eccentric self)...the rest of the guys are great too.

The new guitarist Steuart Smith is a very good stand-in, and while he's a great guitarist in his own right, as you can plainly see by watching him here on this dvd, his style is slightly different to Don's..........But you have to give full credit to the guy though for blending in brilliantly (I would still have preferred to have Don there on stage with them though)

The only moan i can really have with this dvd though is the brass section...Which to some degree spoil's a lot of the songs (they sound much better without any brass, as per HFO)

All in all a fabulous dvd, awesome performances of all the tracks, and (minus the brass section) this is the dvd that "Hell Freezes Over" should have been.

Let's hope we can now look forward to a HFO re-release with the full concert and a tracklisting similar to this one

Sq

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:05 am

MB280E, Like yourself, I have been listening to the 'legacy edition' of Janis' Pearl. It is a quality package. I have been listening to a lot of Cream as well. The boots from the 2005 4 Royal Albert Hall performances show that this band is still phenominal, I am looking forward to the official DVD release this fall. Due to all the Cream listening, it got me back into the Derek & The Dominos boxset, amazing stuff on there. A very cool Aretha Franklin & King Curtis Rhino Handmade release entitled: 'At The Fillmore West: Don't Fight The Feeling' is very cool as well, it showcases all the sets they played together there. King Curtis was sensational. I have had a lot of trouble obtaining Eagles boots from the late 70s, I am envious as they are one of my favorite bands. The Mountain stuff sounds interesting.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:50 pm

midnightx: IMO Pearl is the perfect summeralbum. I knew I had to get this album before or later as I´ve heard so much positive about it. It was a great buy. Man, could Janis sing the blues...! The opening track sets the mood IMO, great rock and roll. Like you, I´m also looking forward to the Cream reunion dvd from Albert Hall. I prefer the early stuff by Cream but this dvd set could be great. What a trio! Jack Bruce is one of my favourite bassplayers. Great vocalist! Clapton has never been better than he was when he played with Cream in the sixties IMO. He doesen´t sound as powerful when he plays Fenders IMO. Same goes for the Blind Faith Hyde Park ´69 dvd which is set for release this year, I´ll definately get that one. Another dvd winner due later this year is Deep Purple´s California Jam ´74. Have you heard the incredible sound on Blackmore´s Fender on during that show? Awesome!!! I have been thinking of getting the Derek & The Dominoes set as well. Like you say it´s not easy getting Eagles bootlegs from the seventies concerts, so I was lucky. I´d be glad to send you a copy of the Houston ´77 recording if you like, just send me an email with your address. :) Mountain...ahhh, one of the great but sadly almost forgotten bands of the early seventies.

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:10 am

Mountain...ahhh, one of the great but sadly almost forgotten bands of the early seventies.

MB280E: Another great mostly forgotten band from the 70s: Cactus. Last year Rhinohandmade released a very cool double disc live album that is worth checking out. Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice are by far one of Rock's greatest rhthym sections and Jim McCarty was one of the most underrated and underappreciated lead guitarists. The vocals were a little rough around the edges, but this band floored it.

You really should check out that Dominos boxset when you get a chance. The remix of the classic album is ok and forgettable, but disc 2 (out-takes, alternate takes) and disc 3 (jams) are very very cool. Clapton's tone was so heavy and brilliant during his brief time with Cream, but everything from his Mayall tenure through his days with the Dominos is breathtaking stuff. I agree that his Gibson days were maybe insurpassable, but his playing of the strat with the Dominos was breathtaking in another way. If he had OD'd from heroin in 1971, his legend would be right next to Hendrix.

Another great band that is overlooked because the third version of the band that exploded in the late-70s overshadowed the original incarnation is Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. The live material from 1970 at the Boston Tea Party is mind-blowing. Green was the man.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Does anyone know the full set they actually played during the recording of Hell Freezes Over?

Sq

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:49 pm

midnightx: I have been thinking about getting some Cactus stuff, so it´s funny you should mention it. Checked out some soundsamples on amazon.com earlier today and was blown away, this is powerful stuff. I will definately buy the double live cd you mention and some of their studio stuff as well as it sounded very promising and very much to my liking. Reminded me of another great British band, Free. Any thoughts on Paul Kossoff? :) Peter Green was one of the greatest white blues guitarists in the late 60´s and up until 1970. I bought a cd some years ago which was titled Shrine ´69. It has great versions of Before The Beginning (with a fantastic guitarsolo by Green!!!) and Need Your Love So Bad, two of my favourites by the original Fleetwood Mac. Thinking of getting the Boston Tea Party recordings and The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions box set. I´d probably get Then Play On, too just to get the studio version of Before The Beginning.

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:02 am

MB280E, Free is a very cool band. Kossoff had a monster tone! 'Free Live' is a great album, especially the remaster with bonus tracks. You will not be disappointed with the Fleetwood Mac Boston Tea Party discs. The Shrine 69 disc is also very cool, but the Boston Tea Party gigs have more variety. Green was on fire. And you can't go wrong with the Blue Horizon albums. How about Humble Pie's live album at the Fillmore? Frampton was a shredder back then! By the way, did you get my email?

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:29 am

midnightx: I have bought all the up-graded/remastered Free albums a while ago. I just had to have them! The live album is indeed great, and it clearly shows us what Kossoff was made of. Rodgers was a great singer BTW. You can hear that David Coverdale got some inspiration from him. Heartbreaker is also a great album, the titlesong is heavy blues at it´s very best IMO. I don´t have anything by Humble Pie. I got your email and will make a copy of the Eagles cd as soon as possible, that´s a promise! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:56 am

MB280E, I'm with you, I had to get the Free remasters as well. The packages are very well done. That band had so much potential, it is sad that they were torn apart. Koss hadn't even begun to reach his own potential. If you dig Free and are into the sound of Cactus and Mountain, there is a good chance you will appreciate the early era of Humble Pie. The best place to start is the killer live album: "Performance - Rockin' The Fillmore."

squirrel: The Eagles played 2 sets in Burbank for the filming and recording of HFO. The second set has been circulating for some time, the set list is as follows:

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best of My Love
Tequila Sunrise
Help Me Thru The Night
The Heart Of The Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Learn To Be Still
Hotel California
Strings Soundcheck
Wasted Time
Wasted Time Reprise
Lover's Moon
Pretty Maids All In A Row
I Can't Tell You Why
The Girl From Yesterday
New York Minute
The Last Resort
Introductions
Take It Easy
One Of These Nights
In The City
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane
Get Over It
Desperado

Apparently they played the same set during both shows so they could essentially edit together the best from both performances to create the ultimate DVD/CD. The set-list changed for the actual 1994/1995 HFO tour and is similar to what was just released on the new DVD. Still with no Felder, they are not the same band.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:09 pm

MB280E, speaking of great white blues guitarists, what are your thoughts on Michael Bloomfield? His work with Paul Butterfield and collaborations with Al Kooper can be pretty mind-blowing. Also, Roy Buchanan is another brilliant player. Man did he have a monster tone. And of course one can't leave out Johnny Winter's first 2 albums for Columbia. Have you heard the 'legacy edition' of 'Second Winter' yet?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:18 am

midnightx, No, I´m not that familiar with those guys unfortunately. Speaking of Bloomfield, didn´t he record an album with the great (and in my opinion highly underrated) Stephen Stills? Wasn´t it called Supersession or something like that? Always wanted to check out that album, too as I absolutely love Stills as a guitarplayer and singer. One of the best acoustic guitarists IMO. Can´t understand why most so-called experts always seem rate him below Neil Young when it comes to playing guitar. :roll:

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:22 am

MB280E, you should check out Bloomfield. Yes that album with Stills & Kooper is called 'Super Session.' It was actually supposed to be all Bloomfield on guitar, but he only showed for part of the session, so Kooper called in Stills to finish it. So Stills and Bloomfield actually don't play together. If you are ever interested in checking out Bloomfield, 'Super Session is a good start, but also The Paul Butterfield Blues Band album 'East-West' is equally essential. With regards to Johnny Winter, Sony issed a 'legacy edition' of his second album called 'Second Winter' last fall. The first disc is the original album which was a masterpiece and the second disc is a complete concert from 1970 at The Royal Albert Hall (a side-note, his bass player at the time was Tommy Shannon, the future bass player for Stevie Ray Vaughan). If it ever interests you, you should check out this Johnny Winter album, you will not be disappointed.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info midnightx, you seem to be very well informed when it comes to quality music! :)

Sincerely MB280E