Off Topic Messages

In the Basket 7/12-18

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:17 pm

What DVD's are you buying this week?? So far, I've picked up:

Million Dollar Baby (2-disc)
The Italian Job
Dodgeball-Unrated
National Lampoon's Class Reunion
Weekend at Bernie's
The Fast and the Furious
Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection
It Started in Naples
Tales from the Crypt-Season 1
Fantastic Four-The Complete Series

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:23 pm

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang SE
Kelly's Heroes

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:38 pm

Melanie,
Allow me to compliment you on your incredibly good taste in movies. I've been meaning to pick up the new Chitty..... for some time now.

Tom

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:10 pm

Much appreciated.

Ian Fleming + Dick Van Dyke = winner.

Dick Van Dyke came to my attention, because of Mary Tyler Moore and Change Of Habit. His show was never on TV here, nor hers.

I have picked up the My Fair Lady SE about 3 months ago and really came to like musicals. Actually there is always at least one classic film in my basket. Eagerly awaiting the dispatch of The Essential Steve McQueen Collection and East Of Eden SE.

FYI we get most DVD titles a little, in some cases a lot later (worst case scenario: never) over here in Europe.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:47 am

Dick Van Dyke.......THPPPPPPT.PSSSSSSTHT. BRRRRRRIPPPPT(Anyone know how to effectively spell a raspberry??).

I've never seen a more appropriate first name for an "entertainer" in my life. His dad must've been friggin' Nostrodamus :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:13 am

Tom, jus picked up the Full screen version of
Hide and Seek with Deniro yesterday...

Did ya like that flick?

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:34 pm

minkahed wrote:Tom, jus picked up the Full screen version of


Surely you jest!

Tom

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:27 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
minkahed wrote:Tom, jus picked up the Full screen version of


Surely you jest!

Tom


Actually no...I didn't realize it was so funny... :roll:

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:28 am

Tom considers full-screen a concession to film neophytes and a generation of TV addled consumers........and I must say I agree with him. How can you capture the sweep of a film,or the art of the cinematographer, when you have effectively cut off 1/4 of the frame??

I know,I know.......it's just a pet peeve.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:58 am

Scatter wrote:Tom considers full-screen a concession to film neophytes and a generation of TV addled consumers........and I must say I agree with him. How can you capture the sweep of a film,or the art of the cinematographer, when you have effectively cut off 1/4 of the frame??
I know,I know.......it's just a pet peeve.


well, it surely wasn't intentional!

I always buy and prefer WIDESCREEN, but the best buy I was visiting didn't have a single Widescreen copy to sell. My wife didn't give a sh*t, so I bought it...

sorry if I cut off 1/4 of Deniro's up close and personal nose hair mugshots!

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:14 am

You are forgiven Mink :wink: :D

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:51 pm

Barely. :wink:

Tom

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:46 pm

Scatter -

You wrote:
Dick Van Dyke.......THPPPPPPT.PSSSSSSTHT. BRRRRRRIPPPPT(Anyone know how to effectively spell a raspberry??).

I've never seen a more appropriate first name for an "entertainer" in my life. His dad must've been friggin' Nostrodamus


I think you're being a little harsh.

Have you ever heard a better Cockney accent than Dick's in Mary Poppins ?

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 am

Let's also forget that Van Dyke was the star of arguably the greatest sitcom ever made.

This week I picked up "Fight Club" special edition ($5 used at a collector's market), "Dead of Night"/"Queen of Spades" and "The Ghost Breakers".

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:24 am

[quote="likethebike"]Let's also forget that Van Dyke was the star of arguably the greatest sitcom ever made.
quote]

Arguably is the key word......and I'll be happy to argue with you over it!!! :wink:

The Andy Griffith Show.......THE greatest sitcom ever made :D