5%
2.) The Steve McQueen Collection
47%
3.) The Hammer Horror Collection
47%

Total votes : 19

Poll

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Since we're a bunch of poll lovin' fools here I've decided to enlist your help in trying to decide what dvd collection I should purchase when I've got some extra loot.

I'm leaning towards the Hammer set because once the Hammer films go out of print the price goes sky high. Comments please.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:07 pm

Go with McQueen first!! Bullitt and The Getaway make the set worth it by themselves.

Tom

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 pm

Pete -

Steve McQueen has a timeless appeal, but the Errol Flynn & Hammer films have dated a bit now.

All great in their day.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:42 pm

ColinB wrote:Pete -

Steve McQueen has a timeless appeal, but the Errol Flynn & Hammer films have dated a bit now.

All great in their day.

You've got a point Colin, but there's only 1 copy of the Hammer set in the store at a reasonable $50.00 for 6 films, and when these Hammers go out of print the price goes sky high! Dracula - Prince of Darkness has gone out of print, it now goes for $40.00 on Amazon ($90.00 for the 2 movie edition). So I might need to get this Hammer collection while the gettin's good (it's $45.00 used on Amazon, $70.00 new)!

I badly want the Flynn and McQueen sets, but they're both readily available, and if I wait a little the price will come down. There's a downside to getting the Flynn set. My 7 year old son will watch the swashbucklers with me, then want to have endless swordfights. This happened after we watched the Robin Hood set last year. I spent most of that weekend repelling my son's attacks! At one point during a break he said "you're a worthy opponent." I doubled over in laughter - and the little s*#t ran me through!

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:51 pm

Pete -

If you watch 'Bullit' with him, hide the car keys !

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:33 am

McQUEEN...all the way.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:04 am

McQueen. the King of Cool.

"that motorcycle hick" - Elvis on McQueen

"that guitar hick" - McQueen on Elvis

they are both Kings of Cool, and so much cool, they cancel each other out, and dismiss each other, and cannot admire each other.
Ne'er one over the other.
Wow.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:39 am

Pete......I suspect you know my opinion.

It's HAMMER time!!!!!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:06 am

Go with the one that will be the hardest to find the next time you are flush enough to afford a box set. Please take my advice; if it is something hard to find and you have a chance at it now dive at it. You may not get another chance.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:09 pm

I would pick the Horror collection!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:09 pm

I got Hammered! :) And as an added bonus I picked up a used Blue Hawaii cd (the expanded version) for ...... $7.50! Now I just have to get G.I. Blues and I'll have all the movie music on cd.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:03 am

what films are in the Hammer collection you bought?

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:22 am

GG -
The Hammer set consists of 3 Dracula films (Horror of Dracula; Dracula Has Risen From The Grave; Taste The Blood of Dracula), 2 Frankenstein films (Curse of Frankenstein; Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed), and The Mummy. Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula were the films that launched the vivid Hammer gothic horror genre. The Mummy is my favorite Mummy film. These 3 films made international stars of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. And an added bonus of the Hammer films is the beautiful starlets in cleavage revealing gowns! Veronica Carlson in particular.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:21 pm

Looks like ole' Errol's got a lot of fans :oops:

Sq

Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:49 pm

hey Pete, why bother with the McQueen sets when you can pick up the 3 DUKES OF HAZZARD sets first???

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Pete Dube wrote:GG -
The Hammer set consists of 3 Dracula films (Horror of Dracula; Dracula Has Risen From The Grave; Taste The Blood of Dracula), 2 Frankenstein films (Curse of Frankenstein; Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed), and The Mummy. Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula were the films that launched the vivid Hammer gothic horror genre. The Mummy is my favorite Mummy film. These 3 films made international stars of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. And an added bonus of the Hammer films is the beautiful starlets in cleavage revealing gowns! Veronica Carlson in particular.

Didn't Tom tell us that a new Hammer collection would be on DVD soon? I would like to see some of these films myself! :D

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:21 pm

JEFF d wrote:Didn't Tom tell us that a new Hammer collection would be on DVD soon? I would like to see some of these films myself! :D
JEFF d
Elvis fan

The Hammer Horror Series:Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Phantom of the Opera, Paranoiac, Kiss of the Vampire, Nightmare, Night Creatures, Evil of Frankenstein will street on September 6th.

Tom