Off Topic Messages

Legal music downloads

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:05 am

Do any of you do legal music downloads, meaning "pay for" music downloads?

I was visiting the MSN website and they have a music section where you can download individual songs for $.99 each or the whole album for $8-10.

Are there other legal legitimate websites out there?

Thanks,

RKS

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:53 am

i suppose it's good for those who actually care whether it's legal. :oops:

from what i've seen, $0.99 is about right per song. i really haven't looked though.

confession: i get things for considerably less.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:09 am

WalMart.com has music downloads.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:25 am

why pay for it when you can get it for free?!?! i don't give a flying rats ass if it's legal or not

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:18 am

Jeff D: Thanks for the info

elvisgirl wrote:
why pay for it when you can get it for free?!?! i don't give a flying rats ass if it's legal or not

From what I hear they are really cracking down on music piracy.

I don't mind paying for a product or service.

You may not care if it's stealing or illegal, but I do.

RKS

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:27 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:From what I hear they are really cracking down on music piracy.

ppfftt yeah yeah blah blah

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:You may not care if it's stealing or illegal, but I do.

i don't

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:16 pm

I only download music that I cannot find on a legal release.
Like the original versions of songs Elvis covered which mainly go back to the 1900's to 1950's.
I prefer to have my music on a legal release but if it is long deleted.....
I welcome directions to (a) website(s) that have original old music for download or to sellers that have CD's with that type of music.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:31 pm

Luuk,

I've been doing the same thing - looking for songs Elvis was influenced by, the original versions by the original artist.

I have found many of them on the MSN website. Although there we're a few I couldn't find.

I would agree that if the songs are no longer available legally due to the age of the song or that maybe the copywrite is expired then a free download is O.K.

Where do you go in those situations?

Thanks,

RKS

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:41 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Luuk,

I've been doing the same thing - looking for songs Elvis was influenced by, the original versions by the original artist.

I have found many of them on the MSN website. Although there we're a few I couldn't find.

I would agree that if the songs are no longer available legally due to the age of the song or that maybe the copywrite is expired then a free download is O.K.

Where do you go in those situations?

Thanks,

RKS

I search the internet. But the ones I am still missing are really hard to find or are available on expensive old discs/cylinders.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:04 am

wal mart has them for about 89 or 79 cents a song....... yahoo has one upcoming son cheaper,,,realplayer has rhapsady(spelling)... i tunes is pretty good also.. albums around 9 bucks.... thanks my fellow tennessean

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:39 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:From what I hear they are really cracking down on music piracy.

i don't

Wonderful. Your new avatar seems rather fitting.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:11 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:

i don't

Does anyone live close enough to her to sneak in and take her Michael Jackson collection from her? Or maybe a couple of those rats she loves so much?

Don't worry, she won't mind. Just quote the above to her if she squawks.

I download piratemusic all the time

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:06 am

i dont see the point of paying bux for bullshit you can get for free. Give me for free thats the motto. I didnt pay for music for 20 years.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:39 am

what extent is the feel-honest dynamic that you paid for the music you hear?

we hear and re-hear songs, by the thousands, on radio - technically for free, for decades now.

we hear and re-hear songs also on tv

we also hear and re-hear songs because they get stuck in our head

if there was a strict fee principle (pay-per-listen/pay-again-when-you-listen-again) then why are blank cassettes, blank vhs tapes, blank cd-rs, etc manufactured and easily sold to anyone everywhere?

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:20 am

I can't really believe we're going to have to debate this -- especially on this board.

Radio and TV, of course, have royalty structures they obey. That music is not "free," nor is it stolen.

As far as the blank tapes, etc., the presumption -- naive though it may be -- is that those media are for personal use. I've made my own mix tapes and, now, CDs for several decades. That's not illegal. I don't make a habit of pirating music; that is illegal.

GG, you have a lot of views on personal morality you've shared on this board. I guess "thou shalt not steal" didn't make the cut. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

If you wouldn't go into a grocery store and steal food or go into a bank and steal money, I can't imagine why you would take anything else without paying for it.

But I guess some people only call it immoral if they think they could get caught.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:46 am

elvissessions.com wrote:
Radio and TV, of course, have royalty structures they obey. That music is not "free," nor is it stolen.

As far as the blank tapes, etc., the presumption -- naive though it may be -- is that those media are for personal use. I've made my own mix tapes and, now, CDs for several decades. That's not illegal. I don't make a habit of pirating music; that is illegal.

GG, you have a lot of views on personal morality you've shared on this board. I guess "thou shalt not steal" didn't make the cut. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

thanks for asking. yes, you are misunderstanding my point.

royalty structure for radio and tv does not include YOUR EARS
or how many ears will access the song, and cannot regulate what your ears are exposed to.

example:

Hear a song on the intercom at the grocery store. You enjoy the song. Glad you heard it. Now, who do you go pay for that?
Are you supposed to pay someone for that?
You walk out of the store having "stole" that song.

Are we guilty for having hearing ability.

If some site has the legal right to charge 0.99 cents per song, and someone wants to pay that per song, then fine.

but the point you make for "personal use" as the benign innocent reason for blank tapes and tape-recorders is NO DIFFERENT than the reason people are downloading songs online. Personal use/listening.

the most illegal situation is getting copies of songs so you can set up a site to sell them for 0.99 cents each. (profit yourself; that's why I added "legal right to charge" to the sentence earlier)

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:03 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:

i don't

Wonderful. Your new avatar seems rather fitting.

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DOLEMITE!!!

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:29 am

dude, the kind of music i'm interested in, i just can't buy that stuff where i live. and i wouldn't want to. i've already wasted bucks on music i don't care to listen to ever again. and why would i pay .99 cents for a song i am downloading just to hear it to see if i like it. i mean, if i feel like listening to the barbie girl song or send splish splash i was taking a bath to somebody as a joke, i'm not going to pay for it. sorry.

and elvis concert stuff? last time i checked i'm not really allowed to buy things online, and my walmart doesn't sell much past hound dog and jailhouse rock. i've got 50 copies of those songs. tired of them.

with the amount of stuff my mom buys, the elite media isn't losing much money off of my family. they are all billionnaires in chrome and glass anyway. the artists aren't getting what those people get anyway. so i don't see the point.

and as far as elvis product goes--i don't want to give epe any more money. i love elvis, not them. they are money hungry bastards that destroy elvis' memory consistantly. i'd rather write a fan letter to store at graceland for every song i download, rather than giving epe money. i would feel more comfortable that i was thanking the right person that way.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 am

we haven't examined all the angles of this.

song heard = $ due

and that applies every time in every capacity

there's seems to be a going rate of 99 cents per song.

a listen is worth ninety-nine cents

so after working at a mall for 3 years and hearing the same intercom loop of music and ads,

then that means I accumulated...... approx.

$56 worth of "Rickie Don't Lose That Number"
$56 worth of "Wild World"
$56 worth of "It's A Wonderful World"

- where do I go to cash them in????

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:17 am

GG, I'm going to leave you out of this because, I'm sorry, I'm still not taking your meaning, whether it's tongue in cheek or not.

But I understand the others.

Elvis' Babe, Elvisgirl and Monzi, you're thieves.

Your attempts to rationalize it are pathetic. I sincerely hope someone takes something you value, especially something you've devoted yourself to making or buying. You can bet the person who steals it will have his "good reasons," too, about why he deserves it so much more than you do.

I actually have more respect for people who say, "Yeah, fundamentally it's wrong, but I can't help myself" than I do for people who try to make it other people's fault that they're dishonest.

You're like the criminal who blames the victim. It's sick.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:34 am

elvissessions.com wrote:Does anyone live close enough to her to sneak in and take her Michael Jackson collection from her? Or maybe a couple of those rats she loves so much?

huh?? what rats??

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Your new avatar seems rather fitting.

thanks! i love her very much

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:46 pm

I think people are confusing things.

Buying a, let's say, 45 rpm disc with 2 songs means that I paid to own a piece of plastic (eventually with a photo sleeve) which I can play time and time again until it is worn out.
I do not have to pay a fee everytime I play one of the songs on that disc.

When I have a radio, I pay a fee. The radio stations pay a copyrightholders organisation, who in turn pay the composer(s) and performer(s) a fee for their song being played on the radio.

If I do NOT have a song in my collection and I want to hear it, there are several possibilities to listen to it.
First of all I can go to the shop and buy a CD with this song.
Secondly I can try to find a legal download and pay for it.
Thirdly I can try to find an illegal download and download it for free.
I only download for free when I cannot find the song any other way as I prefer to have an official disc or CD with informative booklet.

In The Netherlands there is a law that allows people to copy a song for private use as long as you have the original disc/CD or rented it from a legal source*. So I can record songs from my 5.000+ LP collection onto the PC and burn a CD-R with my favourite songs. Or tape the LP's onto cassette. However, I am NOT sell or give away these CD-R's and/or cassettes. Nor am I allowed to put any of those songs on a website for streaming or download.

* Rotterdam has a giant music library. When you are a member (i.e. if you pay the membership fee!) you can rent CD's for about $2 for a week. It is allowed to make a copy of this CD for private use.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:34 pm

you have to rent cd's at the library?? :? :?
we can borrow them for free at the library here. you can borrow all the cd's you want, and have them a month. and it's allowed to copy the cd's for private use

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:01 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:you have to rent cd's at the library?? :? :?
we can borrow them for free at the library here. you can borrow all the cd's you want, and have them a month. and it's allowed to copy the cd's for private use

That goes for books here.
They tried to do it with music too but the Music Industry (Record Companies) managed to get a court order that they, the Music Industry, should be compensated hence a fee on renting LP's and now CD's.

What also puzzles me, is that a lot of Elvis music is provided on all sorts of websites, but I have not been able to find 1 website which has the text of any Elvis book. :oops: :shock:

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:49 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
elvissessions.com wrote:Does anyone live close enough to her to sneak in and take her Michael Jackson collection from her? Or maybe a couple of those rats she loves so much?

huh?? what rats??

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Your new avatar seems rather fitting.

thanks! i love her very much

Eg, if you want to love a rat, that's fine with me. Michael Jackson famously recorded an ode to a rat in his younger days. As far as rats go, I'd say she's pretty cute, if repulsive at the same time! :lol:

Luuk and Elvissessions: thanks for the explanations. It's pretty simple, really.

Rationalize all you want, folks but don't tell us it's not a form of thievery. I'm not that bent out of shape about it : the industry is doing a great job legally in fighting back. (Ever notice how it's kids, teens and young adults who mainly rationalize this?)

If we all had the attitude of Elvisgirl, there'd be no "follow that dream" label. (And shame on those who rely on CDR's of this series.) We all pay a premium to make up for the theivery. (BMG's capitalist tendencies are a given and I don't really blame them.)