Off Topic Messages

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:24 pm

Scatter, what does daft mean over there then ?

Anyway, I never said you were daft, i just said don't be.

Don't go jumping in front of a bus Scatter. That doesn't mean I am saying you are jumping in front of a bus, it just means don't.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Greg,

i think you missed my point. The first 4 bombers were all British, as am i. The common thing was we were all born and grew up in Britain. The somalian guy obviously wasn't - but does have British citizenship. This is domestic terrorism - with an international angle.

Andrew

I don't know that I missed your point as much as I just disagree.

I've become a bit more of pessimist about absorbing masses of immigrants from countries largely hostile to western values. I'm that much more concerned as the west has in some ways neglected to pressure new citizens to assimilate western values of tolerance, democracy, basic citizenship, etc, something which once upon a time was done at least in the USA.

When these Muslim communities have even 10% of their citizens either sympathetic to the bombings or the concept of some "justified" suicide bombings against civilians (whatever the troubling numbers were in that recent UK poll), then I think we have a real problem. These aren't just wayward fellow citizens, or just a few "bad apples." More specifically, it's tolerant, mainstream Muslims that have a problem that they had better tend to lest others do it for them.

To not recognize Radical Islam as a scourge is to put our heads in the sand.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:45 am

Steve_M wrote:Scatter, what does daft mean over there then ?

Anyway, I never said you were daft, i just said don't be.

Don't go jumping in front of a bus Scatter. That doesn't mean I am saying you are jumping in front of a bus, it just means don't.

I was just having a little fun with your post Steve. You outta know me well enough by NOW :lol: :wink:

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:37 pm

Greg,

It's all a matter of labels. These people are suicide bombers, murderers, evil - this i do not dispute.

Other labels for these men include British and Muslim - is it the responsibility of the musim community to eradicate the evil or is it the responsibility of all of us as the British nation?

Islam is just the tool for brainwashing - much the same as the mass suicide cults were brainwashed through the appearence of comets and the guys at Waco used christianity. These are just 2 examples off the top of my head.

Andrew

Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 pm

I think the responsibility to contain this scourage is on both the British nation and the Muslims. I've seen via CNN that there have been some changes in the Muslim community, which is mildly encouraging.

But I think it's foolish to equate true fringe groups like the truly tiny Waco cult with the mass movement of radical Islam.

You have hundreds of thousands of people in your country who are sympathic to the bombers or at least the idea of suicide cults.

It's silly to bring up obscure one-time cults in this context. Even devout Muslims (of a mainstream variety) admit to being troubled by the scourge within their religion.

Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Buddahism, etc. in 2005 have no similar parallel in their ranks.