Off Topic Messages

LONDON ATTACKED

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:04 pm

SkyNews reporting this morning - at least 90 citizens are injured and many dead in subway bomb blasts in London's Financial District, and a double-decker bus explosion happened too.

"a coordinated series of bombings" - Fox News

- my sympathies to our friends in the UK.
This damn madness must stop.
We here in the US understand and have had our fair share of terrorist attacks by those filthy animals.

could this be French-Muslims angered by yesterday's Olympics vote?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:23 pm

GG:

It appears that at least 6 explosions have gone off this morning - 3 on the Underground, 3 on buses, and there could be more. My wife is in London at the moment, I am presently waiting for her to call to let me know she is ok. I was due to see Queen at Hyde Park tomorrow and REM on Saturday - there has to be severe doubts as to whether these will go ahead. It all looks fairly grim and terrorism must be an almost certainty now.

Many have already put 2 and 2 together and come up with G8. But such co-ordinated attacks bear the hallmark of one group and one group alone. Any guesses?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:46 pm

Shocking news. Not much I can say, except I hope the culprits are found and are dealt with in an appropriate manner. :x

8)

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:00 pm

My thoughts are now with the British

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:22 pm

my deepest symphaty whit everyone in UK .

this is just horrible

we all most stand together

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:27 pm

I was just thinking about my time in London, when THIS came on the news.
What a sad day. :cry: Horrible, just horrible.

My thoughts to all those anyway impacted by this.

Reports coming in from Arab sources that this was Al Quaeda. No surprise there.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:30 pm

Horrible news.

Stephen,I hope all is well with your wife.

Dan.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:51 pm

This is scum of the earth...thats cowards killing and hurting the young and old etc....

Thats why i said it was sad news about the games coming to london...but after this...go for it and stick 2 fingers to the cowards.

Sad lose and a sad day.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Just to let you know that my wife is safe, although in a state of shock. She somehow made it to London Bridge station where there were scenes of chaos. She is now at my brother's house in South London.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks, that's good to hear Steve!

8)

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:19 pm

This is terrible.

My sympathy goes to all victims and everyone who's depressed by this news.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:21 pm

:(
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:34 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with the British people.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:47 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Round 'em up and eject them from your soil and send them back to the desert wasteland from whence they came.

So how do you suggest we decide who to round up and eject? All Muslims? All brown skinned people? Only those not born in the UK? Having zero tolerance for terrorism is one thing, becoming a xenophobe or a racist is quite another.

And until we can be sure that our Governments and the powers behind those Governments have stopped dealing in arms and sacrificing lives in the name of power, we have to be bloody well sure we have a leg to stand on.

Religious doctrine of all kinds gets twisted and used for unspeakable destruction and immorality. We'd all be better off without it.

:(

Jules

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:49 pm

GG:

What astonishes me is how nobody in authority appears to have seen this coming. With 8 very rich world leaders holed up in Scotland they send the majority of our police force up to Gleneagles to protect their asses. Meanwhile, in London, hundreds of people are blown up, and the predictable chaos ensues. I imagine that the relatives of the dead and the injured will be mighty pleased that their families were left unprotected so that Tony Blair and his powerful cronies were kept away from people armed with nothing more than umbrellas.

Unfortunately you and I both know that we are never going to be in a situation where our port authorities and airports say "sorry, you're a Muslim, you are not coming in" because that will cause more problems than it solves. We are also dealing with an issue of resolve here. Once the initial panic is over, you are going to get the usual "we will not let terrorists beat us" line trotted out by everyone from Blair downwards. Are we to target the entire Islamic faith, the vast majority of whom are peace-loving, because of the anti-Quran element that is the terrorist networks? If so, you are talking about taking on almost a fifth of the world's population.

But I do agree (only a brain-dead fool could think otherwise) that these terrorist networks must be flushed out once and for all, and my natural instinct tells me we must do whatever it takes to achieve this. Personally I wonder what the funk all those troops are doing in Iraq, supposedly trying to restore order, it seems to me to be a military smokescreen by a government too scared to tackle the real issues - turning the firepower to the mountains of Afganistan and blowing Osama Bin Liner into the middle of next week.

But I certainly agree with your sentiments GG, except the part about banishing them to their desert wasteland - I'm not sure I would allow them to live long enough.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:02 pm

I my prayers and sympathy go out to the British people on this day. Stand tall and firm and don't give this barbaric enemy the satisfaction.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:34 pm

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of our friends across the pond. I hope you and your families are well.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:43 pm

"It is important, however, that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire impose extremism on the world.

"Whatever they do it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilised nations throughout the world."

- Prime Minister Tony Blair

-------------------

The Police and Intelligence Services have stopped countless terrorist attacks within the last few years. And as they have always said, the question has been when and where, not what if. The terrorists will do anything not to be detected and foil their plans. And this time, unfortunately they have succeeded.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:44 pm

The Leftwing's greatest icon of hope (Robert F. Kennedy) was killed by a muslim.
It was a terrorist attack in Los Angeles 1968.
Do they recongize that as terorrism? Nah, but they should.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:49 pm

Im in London but not near where the explosions went off.

Very touching reading all the posts expressing their sympathy.

Its times like this that the good people of the world unite together.

Thanks to everyone,

Sean

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:49 pm

Some thoughtful postings here.

But as an otherwise liberal-minded sort (until 2001), I do think there is a lot of naive feelings about tip-toeing about the evil that resides in the hearts of Muslim Jihadist facists.

To even mention other religions at this point just clouds the issue.

I don't pretend to have the answer, but we could start with taking seriously the subject border security and a severe cutting of immigration from trouble spots. I have no problem with that.

Best wishes and with a heavy heart from the USA...

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:55 pm

I'll take this moment to extend my thoughts and well wishes to all those in London today also..

Terrorists. God*amn them all to hell.

Kevin.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:57 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:What astonishes me is how nobody in authority appears to have seen this coming.

AP is reporting that a senior Israeli official said Scotland Yard told Israel minutes before the explosions that it had received warnings of possible terror attacks.

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you
Ye are many - they are few

- Percy Bysshe Shelle

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:03 pm

It makes me laugh...

So many ignorance around here. If you want to prevent terrorism, stop dealing with the radical states of the Middle East. The 9-11 hijackers weren´t from neither Iran nor Irak, they were Saudis. Watch your acquitances...

BTW, I don´t feel like that the US can give any advice about dealing with terrorists. Remember that your Government funded and helped Al Qae in the 80´s. It´s the problem that happens when you play Dr Frankenstein, that the creature might attack you...

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:12 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:It makes me laugh...

yeh you're the only one laughing.

I'm sure London's injured and dead appreciate that someone finds humor in it all.

whatta guy