Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:32 pm

any chance of classic game shows being packaged on Dvd

such as "Match Game" season 1, 2, 3, etc

or "Let's Make a Deal" season 1

"Tattle Tales" season 1

"Price is Right" season 1 etc

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:44 pm

GG,
This has been brought up before. The problem is that in some cases, you would have to have the permission of the actual contestants, as this goes beyond the scope of the waiver they signed for their original appearance on the show. Also, the Game Show Network owns/leases the rights to many of the shows you mentioned, and they're not about to give them up anytime soon.

By the way, did you know that many of the stars of those old shows still get residual checks monthly. I was talking with Charles Nelson Reilly at the National Black Theater Festival a couple of years ago and he told me that he, Brett Somers, and some of the other regulars get a small check every month. I asked how much and he said it paid for a nice dinner.

Tom

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:51 pm

Thanks Tom.

if the particulars and anscillaries could be worked out for those involved, it'd be nice to own complete seasons of MG '74, '75, ''76 etc.
That show as hilarious, bloopers and all.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:56 pm

I don't know what You Bet Your Life falls under, but it is truly one of my favorite game shows and once again proves how influential the marx brothers were in every way.

I look at that show and then you look at Johnny Carson and David Letterman. Groucho was kind of the one liners, but most important he could read when to use them!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:57 pm

I loved that show!! I had a huge crush on Brett Somers, when I was a kid. :oops:

Tom

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:08 pm

Without YBYL being available on dvd, how else can we see the entire episode with the woman who owns Elvis' '57 "teddy bear" outfit

or What's My Line with an Elvis relative as the mystery guest.

more achival 50s TV footage pertaining to Elvis that we don't get access to.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:11 pm

Well, we know the footage existed in 1980 as it was used during production of This Is Elvis. Who knows where it is now, if it's still around.

Tom

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 pm

I got alot of YBYL but I haven't run across it yet. I hated that you guys mentioned it though cause I am a completist and I had forgotten that!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:18 pm

I've seen the YBYL episode but it was eons ago, before vcrs.

It was '79 or '80 when CBN (the 700 Club network) started airing old '50s shows at night.

I Married Joan...My Little Margie...Bachelor Father...You Bet Your Life...

that was the first - and practically the last - I ever saw of those programs.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 am

A crush on Brett Sommers!! You must have been a kid! She's so.....
She was also married to Jack Klugman at the time.

jeff R

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:35 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:A crush on Brett Sommers!! You must have been a kid! She's so.....
She was also married to Jack Klugman at the time.

I can't explain it, but yeah, I did have a crush on her. By the way, she is still married to Jack. They seperated in 1974, but neither has filed for divorce and they remain very close to this day.

Tom

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:07 am

I was never into game shows except for one, Family Feud..
So that would be my choice.
Oh,and that would be the Richard Dawson years.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:11 am

SuspiciousMinds wrote:I was never into game shows except for one, Family Feud..
So that would be my choice.
Oh,and that would be the Richard Dawson years.

"It's time...to play...the FEUD!"