Off Topic Messages

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:44 am

Ok,since we're talking about some of our DVD pet peeves, heres mine..

I'm not sure what company makes some of these DVD Boxset case holders for these season sets,but I have had several that have had the damn DVDs in there so tight that the disc was starting to warp while trying to take it out.In fact had a couple actually start to crack in the centre of the disc.
What the F....k.....you spend all this money and they have them traped in there so bad you almost have to break them to get them out..
Last edited by SuspiciousMinds on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:59 am

genesim wrote:
SuspiciousMinds wrote:
jeffreyjames wrote:I also wish for "The Fugitive". Great 60's drama.
"Gunsmoke" is available through Columbia House from the beginning. Of course, you only get a couple discs a month. I currently have the complete first two seasons and am now getting the third season episodes.

jeff R

I didn't know DVDs were available through Columbia.I'll have to check into that.
But I can tell you that I read that CBS and Paramount Home Video are working on a The Best-of Collection likely for September.

The problem is that Columbia House has been known to edit or take inferior prints....though sometimes like in the case of All In The Family on VHS...there is actually a little more then what was on the DVD! So in other words, same sh*t different day. lol

Something I didn't like about them was when I bought a few TV shows on VHS and thought the price for 2 episodes on one tape was outrageous.So I would imagine their DVDs are even more outrageously priced.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:22 am

The USA audiences are always behind as far as quality goes....i.e. widescreen.
By the way, Gunsmoke from Columbia House is in excellent quality for the most part. Some episodes are lessor quality than others. We must understand that the age of these programs are 50 years old. I have not been disappointed and I've seen the first two seasons. We should be glad that these are available at all.
About Bewitched. Why would anyone want to see these in colorized versions. they were made in B&W. That's the way they should be seen.

Ton, you mentioned in aposting several months ago that they were releasing Leave It To Beaver in 2005. Is this still on the docket?

jeff R

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:49 am

actually, I'd like to see the beautiful '64-65 Samantha Stevens in color

(as well as neighbor Danger O'Reilly) :P

I've seen the black & white episodes a zillion times.

I welcome color as an alternative viewing.

Besides, real life is in color

only dogs view the world in greyscale, right.

With the image colorization technique highly improved since the Turner '80s attempts,
the tinting/alteration may not be so obvious, but look very natural

give it a chance Jeff :wink:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:29 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Ton, you mentioned in aposting several months ago that they were releasing Leave It To Beaver in 2005. Is this still on the docket?

Jeff,
According to my source at Universal, Leave it to Beaver is still on the docket for a 2005 release. No further info is available as of yet.

Ton

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:37 pm

Thanks Tom.

I actually laughed out loud when you signed your response
Ton".
That was a good one. I noticed my typo after I put it on.

jeff R

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:actually, I'd like to see the beautiful '64-65 Samantha Stevens in color

(as well as neighbor Danger O'Reilly) :P

I've seen the black & white episodes a zillion times.

I welcome color as an alternative viewing.

Besides, real life is in color

only dogs view the world in greyscale, right.

With the image colorization technique highly improved since the Turner '80s attempts,
the tinting/alteration may not be so obvious, but look very natural

give it a chance Jeff :wink:

My problem is the compromise of accuracy. Though with the advent of Gone Wit the Wind remastering I am betting that the original print could be guessed by just a handful of original clothing. Still money is always the issue and I am afraid to do the correct job you would need far more budgeted then what would be used on Bewitched...I'll stick to Black and White because that is how it should have been. Human intervention on technology that is in its infant stage(in regards to accuracy vs sound remastering) can produce distorted slants on what was originally intended. For now, it just isn't there yet.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:14 pm

genesim wrote:My problem is the compromise of accuracy. Though with the advent of Gone Wit the Wind remastering I am betting that the original print could be guessed by just a handful of original clothing. Still money is always the issue and I am afraid to do the correct job you would need far more budgeted then what would be used on Bewitched...I'll stick to Black and White because that is how it should have been. Human intervention on technology that is in its infant stage(in regards to accuracy vs sound remastering) can produce distorted slants on what was originally intended. For now, it just isn't there yet.

Yeah, and it sucks!!

Tom

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:59 pm

Did you notice the colorisation done in the "Aviator" of old newsreal footage during the Hells Angels segment? That looked really good, I was impressed!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:57 am

I've seen some of the Bewitched colour episodes on TV,and they definitely have more of a pastel look to them as in Jailhouse Rock.
I'd like to see more B&W television/movies get the Love Me Tender treatment which I thought had a very natural look to it.

I just might pick up the colour version of Bewitched anyway.Colour always seems to add a little more life to it even if it was done like the Jailhouse Rock colour version.Besides,any of the t.v shows from the 60s that were shot in colour have a bit of that pastel look to them anyway.I mean the colour back then certainly doesn't look anything like the colour used on modern day shows.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:02 am

About Bewitched: I haven't viewed the DVD release, but I understand that the DVDs for first two seasons are using the updated syndication master that has a black-and-white-icized version of the later color opening titles - that is, the DVD release does not have the original black-and-white opening titles. Best clue is that Samantha's hair is darker on the original BW animation, but also look for a tiny copyright date in the opening that is later than the BW episodes; but the whole original BW animation is different than the color opening(s). Again, I have not watched this, but that's the kind of thing that bugs me. Even if I haven't seen it yet.

*I* want to see the British series "Solo" with Felicity Kendal on DVD. As far as I've ever seen it was released on a PAL VHS set only.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:24 am

Saw Roseanne last night on the Tonight show she said her first season will be out on DVD at the end of August. I will def get that one, I can watch that show over and over.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:48 am

ALF

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:24 pm

the squirrel wrote:ALF

Released August 10, 2004

Streets August 23, 2005

Tom