Off Topic Messages

Classic Ali fights on ESPN

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:46 pm

ESPN is showing classic Ali fights all weekend. I caught a few of the black & white fights from the 60's yesterday. One thing that has jumped out at me is that even at this early period Ali was susceptible to left hooks.
British champ Henry Cooper gave him a good fight before the bout was stopped due to cuts. And Canadian champ George Chuvalo went the 15 round distance in a tough fight!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:23 am

I went to my parents for Sunday dinner, and they had it on.
I caught the tail end of a black & white one, then watched a 1975 fight.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:53 am

I used to watch all of Ali's fights if possible. I remember Ali-Frazier #1, a mammoth event, anyway I would listen to the radio as they would announce who had won the each round. My, how times have changed with pay-per-view and what not.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:10 am

George Chuvalo was one of the top 10 heavyweights for 20 years or more, I think he retired in 1978...he fought all the best; Ali, Frasier, Jerry Quarry..these days, I think he speaks out on drug abuse at high schools... he is an athlete worth looking up to.
On a side note, I read today that "The Hitman" Tommy Hearns is coming out of retirement.....damn! Why don't these guys have the sense to stay retired? Tommy had a right hand that could probably stop a Ford Explorer...but that was then....

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:11 am

I remember the Ali fights growing up!! They were EVENTS!!!!!

Anyone else remember watching Tyson come up in the 80's on Tuesday Night Fights?? MAN, he was a monster!!! Such a waste of potential.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:24 am

chris wrote:George Chuvalo was one of the top 10 heavyweights for 20 years or more, I think he retired in 1978...he fought all the best; Ali, Frasier, Jerry Quarry..these days, I think he speaks out on drug abuse at high schools... he is an athlete worth looking up to.
On a side note, I read today that "The Hitman" Tommy Hearns is coming out of retirement.....damn! Why don't these guys have the sense to stay retired? Tommy had a right hand that could probably stop a Ford Explorer...but that was then....

George Chuvalo, a fellow Canadian, truly was a warrior and despite the beatings he took, (he also dished it out plentiful) he shows no effect or isn't "punchy" like Frazier and Norton to name a few. On a sad note I believe he has lost a couple of children due to suicide, which is a damn shame. As far as Tommy Hearns goes, he was involved in the greatest fight I ever seen, that being the bout with Hagler, three rounds, toe to toe. That was as good as it gets. His only weakness, a glass jaw, but he was special in his prime, as was the welterweight division during the late seventies, early eighties.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:09 am

My Dad had been a boxer when he was very young, so I grew up watching the major fights. We saw Foreman/Norton and Ali/Foreman on closed-circuit tv, and ABC's Wide World of Sports often showed contender fights. The heavyweight division in the early/mid-70's was filled with good, tough fighters.

I watched Tyson come up in the 80's. He was never the same after Cus D'mato died, and he split with Kevin Rooney. Tyson had the physical ability, but he lacked the ability to think on his feet and adapt in the ring.

I lost interest in boxing after the ridiculous Chavez/Whitaker decision(Whitaker won that fight hands down), but I'll look at the odd fight now & again.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:59 am

Tyson was always overrated. He could hit, but he couldn't take em. Though his biggest problem was without a doubt his head.

Ali on the other hand had a habit of taking some opponents lightly. Cooper was one of them. Still he is the "greatest" for a reason. Other then Ken Norton, no one ever gave him distinct trouble that he didn't rectify. Larry Holmes doesn't count though cause Ali was sick and hopped up on drugs when they fought.

XXXXXXXXXxx

On a side note...Moorer/Foreman was a fix plain and simple.