Off Topic Messages

The best dvd or home theather system for Aloha and '68

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:38 pm

I was thinking about getting myself either a dvd player or, even better, a home theater system so I can see the Aloha and '68 discs on a bigger screen that in my laptop (also with better audio quality). But I was wondering, especially since I find the audio on the Aloha dvd quite weak, what is the best purchase - does anybody find one dvd player or home theather system to be better than some other for these dvd's?

Also, the video quality of both the Aloha dvd and the '68 Comeback Special dvd is much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much worse that "That's The Way It Is: Special Edition" - does anyone know why? Is it "fixable" by what dvd you buy?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:49 am

JonA -

Can't say I've found the Aloha & '68 DVD's to be in poor quality.

OK, the '68 Special is a little on the gaudy side.

But the TV is often the weak link when watching these things.

Any good TV, with a dependable DVD player like Sony, Panasonic or Pioneer, should give a good picture.

Not into home cinema, I'm afraid.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:55 am

If you want the best...look at the DVD's on your computer monitor. It is a fact that almost all DVD players crop pixels.

As far as Audio, sound cards with 6 channel sound are cheap and have a spdif output that you can gun through regular cable and put into the coaxial input of a good surround reciever.