Off Topic Messages

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:01 am

How about marbles! Also Hot Wheels were huge as well.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:10 am

Joe Car wrote:How about marbles! .


MARBLES?!?!?!Sorry Joe, I should have been more specific......we're discussing the 1970's :D :wink:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:12 am

Sam.......... Did you use to dress up in womens clothing
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, that came much later!!! :wink: :shock: :oops:



How about The Don Lane Show, Number 96, and The Box...... Sam?

Yes , watched all those shows. Saw a "The Best Of Don Lane" DVD in the shop the other day!!! :?

8)

Re: re

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:13 am

tcb4 wrote:I never knew the 8 track tapes :cry: . could you chose the track you wanted to hear :?:


you couldn't select a certain song, but a group of songs per track
(usllay 2-3 songs per track)

click over to Track 4, hear the last song for example, then it would click to track 1 and start all over

It was a great format for sleeping to, the music never stopped.

my Dad quit buying LPs in the early '70s due to an 8-track tape being instantly playable when you left the store and got to the car with it.
(8-track/radio dashboard deck)

But often, with nearly every album-converted-to-cartridge,
had a song cut in half.

For example, the Eagles' "Take It To The Limit"

You would begin hearing it on Track 2, then it fades out...
CLICK --- now to Track 3
and the rest of the song fades in and finishes.

On the backside of the cartridge, the song title would appear on the playlist for both consecutive tracks required to hold it.

such as:

1. Take It Easy / Witchey Woman / Desperado
2. Lyin' Eyes / Take It To The Limit
3. Take It To The Limit (conclusion) / Tequila Sunrise


That was a bad thing about the production of that format,
often a song was split between tracks due to the tracks
having rigid time lengths.

I had the Elvis 50 Years 50 Hits and as I recall it was "I Got Stung" and "Stuck On You" being split like that.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: re

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:19 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:my Dad was one of the first consumers of 8-track cartridges (as well as Betamax).


8 Tracks AND Betamax GG??? That's quite a track record!!!! Did he drive an Edsel and invest in "Smell-O-Vision" too??? :lol: :wink:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:20 am

He invented Scattermax

but SOny bought it out and laid all the employees off.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:42 am

Scatter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:How about marbles! .


MARBLES?!?!?!Sorry Joe, I should have been more specific......we're discussing the 1970's :D :wink:


4,000 comedians out of work and your trying to be funny.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:47 am

he turned to comedy act for money after the Scattermax co. laid him off in 1976.
His agent did get him a small role in the Spielberg flop 1941

1941

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:13 am

Joe Car wrote:
Scatter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:How about marbles! .


MARBLES?!?!?!Sorry Joe, I should have been more specific......we're discussing the 1970's :D :wink:


4,000 comedians out of work and your trying to be funny.


:lol: :lol: :lol: ........at least I amuse myself!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:15 am

GG......I know you're taking shots at me.........but dang if I'm not too dense to decode them. Carry on young man!! :D

Re: JLoA figures

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:32 am

johngael wrote:How about the Justice League of America figures? I had Aquaman, Superman, Batman, and Robin. I think there were a few others. My brother had a Captain America. I also had a Shazam (Captain Marvel) action figure. Then how about the resurgence of The Lone Ranger? My brother had him and Silver and I had Tonto and Scout. For whatever reason they made a big comeback in the 70's. So many cool toys, so little time. And yes, we also had a ton of the Evel Knievel toys.


Hey JG!!! Were these the MEGO action figures?? They were GREAT!!!! Chintzy as hell, but I love 'em!! I had Batman, Aquaman, Superman,Shazam, and the Lone Ranger (though he wasn't MEGO) with Silver.

BTW......the reason for the resurgence of interest in the "Masked Man" and Tonto was due to a movie remake of the old series that starred Clayton Moore. There was hope of resurrecting the serial, but the movie never did the box office to justify any other installments.

Re: JLoA figures

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:10 am

Scatter wrote: Shazam


Type Shazam, and I will appear!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:34 am

I like your name and avatar there, Shazam!!!! Welcome aboard!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:55 pm

carolynlm wrote:I had very, very short skirts in the 70's.....that's all I can remember.... :lol:



Hmmmm!!! :wink:


:D

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 pm

carolynlm wrote:I had very, very short skirts in the 70's.....that's all I can remember.... :lol:



So did i :P

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:42 pm

carolynlm wrote:I had very, very short skirts in the 70's.....that's all I can remember.... :lol:


Now how are you gonna say that and not post sample pics? :wink:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

I loved these toys by the way. Too bad they will never be that way again because of shooting fists big enough to knock out your sister!

Image

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:01 pm

carolynlm wrote:I had very, very short skirts in the 70's.....that's all I can remember.... :lol:


if you were a secretary, I bet they asked you to look in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet alot.
And I bet the boss gave you a transparent lucite desk to sit at. :oops:

the 70s was a the last great decade to ogle sexy co-workers.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:40 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:
carolynlm wrote:I had very, very short skirts in the 70's.....that's all I can remember.... :lol:


if you were a secretary, I bet they asked you to look in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet alot.
And I bet the boss gave you a transparent lucite desk to sit at. :oops:

the 70s was a the last great decade to ogle sexy co-workers.


Watchoo you talkin about.... The only difference is that it goes on behind closed doors...like the internet! :twisted:

Re: re

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:
tcb4 wrote:I never knew the 8 track tapes :cry: . could you chose the track you wanted to hear :?:


you couldn't select a certain song, but a group of songs per track
(usllay 2-3 songs per track)

click over to Track 4, hear the last song for example, then it would click to track 1 and start all over

It was a great format for sleeping to, the music never stopped.

my Dad quit buying LPs in the early '70s due to an 8-track tape being instantly playable when you left the store and got to the car with it.
(8-track/radio dashboard deck)

But often, with nearly every album-converted-to-cartridge,
had a song cut in half.

For example, the Eagles' "Take It To The Limit"

You would begin hearing it on Track 2, then it fades out...
CLICK --- now to Track 3
and the rest of the song fades in and finishes.

On the backside of the cartridge, the song title would appear on the playlist for both consecutive tracks required to hold it.

such as:

1. Take It Easy / Witchey Woman / Desperado
2. Lyin' Eyes / Take It To The Limit
3. Take It To The Limit (conclusion) / Tequila Sunrise


That was a bad thing about the production of that format,
often a song was split between tracks due to the tracks
having rigid time lengths.

I had the Elvis 50 Years 50 Hits and as I recall it was "I Got Stung" and "Stuck On You" being split like that.



thank you for the explanation g gardener :!: too bad it was not 8 track like the soundboards :!:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:15 pm

I had some of the Major Matt Mason toys. And Hot Wheels. I also loved the Rock'em Sock'em Robots.
I loved the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine. And Mad magazine (featuring the usual gang of idiots - kinda like this mb :lol: ).
I also loved the Fantastic Four cartoon, so I confess to being excited about the upcoming movie.
I collected pretty much all of the Aurora monster model kits.

Dang, these threads, fun as they are, make me nostalgic for my youth - and feel old.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:25 am

Pete Dube wrote:I had some of the Major Matt Mason toys.

Image

Your the second or third to mention Major Matt Mason.........I couldn't remember him, so I did a Google......NOW I remember!!!

And Hot Wheels. I also loved the Rock'em Sock'em Robots.
I loved the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.

Monster magazines......I LOVED those!!!


And Mad magazine (featuring the usual gang of idiots - kinda like this mb :lol: ).
I also loved the Fantastic Four cartoon, so I confess to being excited about the upcoming movie.
I collected pretty much all of the Aurora monster model kits.

The Aurora model kits were great too......and worth a fortune today unbuilt. They had the TV series Batmobile, which costs a mint today if you can find one.

Dang, these threads, fun as they are, make me nostalgic for my youth - and feel old.

Yup......

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:15 am

L.E.D watches...you know the kind where you pushed the button and it glowed in red..and also ate batteries so bad that you had to change them every other month..

I had most of the action figures mentioned here,but I haven't seen anyone mention "Johnny West".There was a whole pile of other western style type figures that went along him, but Johnny was the main character.
Does anyone remember these dolls? oops,umm, I mean Action figures.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:02 am

Scatter wrote:[
Anybody recall the "Wacky Pack" trading cards???

Image

Image

Image



I was very into the Wacky Pack cards, and bought a group of about 20 on Ebay a year or two ago! One of the most fun things I've ever bought on Ebay. Do you have any left Scatter? If not, I'd be happy to send you some!

I had that in the 70's......

Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:05 am

Wasn't much into boy's toys, lol, so let's hear from some of the girls. Anyone have the Liddle Kiddle jewelry? My favorite!! Also, Dawn dolls and all her cool clothes, much cooler than Barbie.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:50 am

Net wrote:
Scatter wrote:[
Anybody recall the "Wacky Pack" trading cards???

Image

Image

Image



I was very into the Wacky Pack cards, and bought a group of about 20 on Ebay a year or two ago! One of the most fun things I've ever bought on Ebay. Do you have any left Scatter? If not, I'd be happy to send you some!


Hi Net!!! Yes, my wife has at least 100-150 of them stashed in a box. I still dig them out for a chuckle now and again :D . Do you remember the gum that came in the pack?? It was like cardboard too :shock: