Off Topic Messages

The Official "I Had That In The 70's" Thread

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:59 am

We've had the Evel Knievel action figures mentioned, Smash-Up Derby, Six Million Dollar Man action figure, Planet Of The Apes toys, Star Wars toys, Stretch Armstrong, G.I. Joe, Sea Monkeys, Dark Shadows Game, Lawn Jarts, various Batman toys, Groovy Ghoulies racer.......

Any of these can be explored further, and feel free to add to the mix as memory permits!![color=red]Please try to include a photo. And I'm curious what our foreign friends played with as well. I'll start.....[/color]

Mood Rings.....
Last edited by Scatter on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:43 pm

I had:

_bubblegum cards - a plethera of cards. Apes, Jaws, Star Wars, Kiss,- if it was a pack of cards with a strip of dusty gum, I had it.

_a girl cousin who had pin-ups of Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garret and the Fonzie on her wall

_many 8-track tapes

_a crush on Tatum O'Neal

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:13 pm

MMMMMMMM........Tatum :wink: .STILL a good looking girl.

I never got into the trading cards beyond my voluminous Steeler collection. I still have a set of the cards Boxcar issued in 1978 on Elvis.

I also still have my 8 tracks of "Elvis At The International", "Aloha From Hawaii" and a tape from Sun about Elvis that was issued after his death. I think that they got in hot water with the Estate over this and it was ultimately pulled from circulation.

How about the Farrah Fawcett Poster.........and the Cheryl Ladd one (which, to me, blew Farrah's out of the water)???

PS GG...........nice paragraphs, huh??? HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW?!?!?!? :lol: :wink:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:40 pm

I had a poster of Farrah on the wall and thousands of baseball cards. Three things were my main objective in life:
1-Being a fan of the "Big Red Machine" (Cincinnati Reds.)
2-Making sure we had enough people availabe on Saturday to get a baseball game going (which was of vital importance.)
3-Making sure I had the latest Elvis album (which was a must when the MSG album came out.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:32 pm

My bike consisted of a long banana seat with high sissy bars, this was early seventies before I graduated to the ten speeds that had tires about 1 inch around. I remember buying "Kiss" boots, wearing them one day only because I almost broke my neck several times. I remember always being outside, gathering people to play whatever sport was in season, only coming in for dinner, then back out again. Ah to be young again.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:42 pm

Rob.....you haven't changed a bit!!!!! :lol:

Remember the "Pitchback", that net you would throw the baseball into and it would bounce back to you??

Joe, I remember the banana seat!!! Mine had a 10 foot tall sissybar with a flag on top. I extended the front forks by hammering some forks from an old bike onto them, and made myself a chopper. Then I stuck half a deck of playing cards in the spokes and I was ready to roll :wink: !!!!

I recall those platform boots too......I always wanted the clear lucite heels with the live fish in them :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Scatter on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:56 pm

Here's another oldie.........I used to LOVE this mag!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:26 pm

Scatter wrote:Rob....
Remember the "Pitchback", that net you would throw the baseball into and it would bounce back to you??

Scatter -
Been there, done that.

JLoA figures

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:37 pm

How about the Justice League of America figures? I had Aquaman, Superman, Batman, and Robin. I think there were a few others. My brother had a Captain America. I also had a Shazam (Captain Marvel) action figure. Then how about the resurgence of The Lone Ranger? My brother had him and Silver and I had Tonto and Scout. For whatever reason they made a big comeback in the 70's. So many cool toys, so little time. And yes, we also had a ton of the Evel Knievel toys.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:37 pm

I guess I am excluded since I was born in 1977!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Mike C wrote:I guess I am excluded since I was born in 1977!!!

Sorry about your luck Mike C. The consolation is that your much younger then us.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:38 pm

Scatter wrote:Rob.....you haven't changed a bit!!!!! :lol:

Joe, I remember the banana seat!!! Mine had a 10 foot tall sissybar with a flag on top. I extended the front forks by hammering some forks from an old bike onto them, and made myself a chopper. Then I stuck half a deck of playing cards in the spokes and I was ready to roll :wink: !!!!

I recall those platform boots too......I always wanted the clear lucite heels with the live fish in them :lol: :lol:

God, were those the good ole days or what!

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:41 pm

And not forgetting "Major Matt Mason - Mattel's Man In Space".

I had the lot, and recently replaced them at some expense via the gift of Ebay. A place I suspect many of "middle-youthers" retrieve our lost childhoods from.

Great thread!

Geoff

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:45 pm

Mike C wrote:I guess I am excluded since I was born in 1977!!!

I was just kidding about that Mike.......join in !!!!!!!All exclusionary rules are lifted.Any rule that keeps Mike out can't be good!!!!!!

Anybody recall the "Wacky Pack" trading cards???

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:21 am

I remember them, Scatter, I used to collect them, though I have no idea what became of them!

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:04 am

Cola spangles...

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:52 pm

I had this game........seconds of action-packed fun :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:06 pm

Joe Car wrote:My bike consisted of a long banana seat with high sissy bars, this was early seventies before I graduated to the ten speeds that had tires about 1 inch around. I remember buying "Kiss" boots, wearing them one day only because I almost broke my neck several times. I remember always being outside, gathering people to play whatever sport was in season, only coming in for dinner, then back out again. Ah to be young again.

Except for the kiss boots :oops: your childhood seemed to be alot like mine Joe. Remember those warm summer nights riding my bike (long banana seat with high sissy bars, we called them dragsters in Australia). My street was always full of kids and there was never a dull moment. Kids back then played outside with each other instead of playing alone with TV games. I had Elvis posters on my wall as well as a King Kong poster from the 1976 re-make. I would also play with toy soldiers which were popular back then. Every toy shop would sell them ! Also, lots of board games, mood rings, spud guns, Mr. Potato Head, shaker maker............
:D :D :D :D

Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:12 pm

I had one of theose Dragster bikes Jake!!! :oops:

:oops:

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:47 pm

Sam.......... Did you use to dress up in womens clothing and drag race on your dragster.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those bikes can be worth big bucks these days !

How about The Don Lane Show, Number 96, and The Box...... Sam?

Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:05 pm

something I wanted in the 1970s
but didn't get until the 1980s......

a hank.

(see a past Elvis thread for glossary)

re

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:19 pm

i played a lot with that !

re

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:20 pm

I never knew the 8 track tapes :cry: . could you chose the track you wanted to hear :?:

Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:53 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:something I wanted in the 1970s
but didn't get until the 1980s......

a hank.

(see a past Elvis thread for glossary)

I remember that thread GG.....and frankly I'm SHOCKED!!!!!!! I had to wait until the 90's :( :wink:

Re: re

Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:55 pm

tcb4 wrote:i played a lot with that !

Good one tcb!!!! We had them here too.........they were called "Erector Sets" (ERECTOR........[color=red]shut up GG, I can already hear the wheels turning :lol: )