Off Topic Messages

Pink Floyd reunites!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:51 pm

as reported by CNN,
Pink Floyd is reuniting for the Live 8 concert event organized by Bob Geldof in July

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:00 pm

Really? Somehow I doubt Roger Waters will make the gig ...

DJC

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:02 am

Doc -

Well, we'll soon see, won't we ?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:25 am

I shall be at Hyde Park tomorrow and will report back on the events of the day. Word on the street is that Roger Waters actually phoned David Gilmour and persuaded him to do it. According to setlists leaked to the press Pink Floyd will be performing the following:

Money
Comfortably Numb
Wish You Were Here

Like to see how they're going to fit all of that into 15 minutes but it's going to be a cracking gig.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:30 am

Stephen, I envy you! Lucky dog

Floyd is a legendary band. They're long overdue for a complete reunion.

So, you'll see McCartney there too?
He's at Hyde Park too?

Have a great time. 8) (tape it) :roll:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:03 am

GG:

I saw Floyd in 1994 and Roger Waters in 2002, but to see the full band together will probably be more than my limited mental capacities can take. I don't know which TV station will be carrying it in the US but try to watch it if you can. Apparently the show is going out to a probable audience of 5.5 BILLION people, which to my reckoning leaves about 63 people in Uzbekistan who won't be able to watch it.

In addition to Pink Floyd, as if that weren't enough, Paul McCartney is indeed performing at the beginning and the end of the Hyde Park show. Also featured (from memory here): Elton John, Sting, The Who, Coldplay, Madonna, Robbie Williams (famous pop star over here), Annie Lennox, U2, Velvet Revolver (Guns 'n' Roses with a half-decent singer), Dido, The Killers, Keane, Razorlight and others I can't remember.

But certainly it is Pink Floyd that is being regarded as the coup of the gig. Not to mention the fact that 9 other concerts are going on simultaneously around the world, including Philadelphia where Stevie Wonder and Bon Jovi will be featuring.

Those of us who remember the original Live Aid will always have fond memories of it, but this is about as good as it gets.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:13 am

I remember Live Aid - the highlight for me was seeing Zeppelin with Phil Collins on drums as I recall.

I've kept up with all of Floyd's post-Wall work (Division Bell, Dogs of War, etc) I have alot of respect for Gilmour as a guitarist.
He appeared on a tv salute years ago (1987?) to Les Paul I believe. Gilmour played a great solo piece. A friend of mine had a tape of the broadcast

Last time I noted what Waters was doing was a concept album "Radio KAOS"

"Animals" is still in my 5-disc changer player as a default fav disc.

- ps I know of Robbie Williams. When I heard his "Millenium", as a Bondphile, I immeditaley recognized the score of You Only Live Twice sampled in it. Williams is a big 007 fan?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:48 am

This is awesome news!

I love Floyd and the Division Bell cd and supporting tour
(I saw them in '94) was a great one.

I hope this news is true...

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Really? Somehow I doubt Roger Waters will make the gig ...

DJC

Arrogant as ever................anyway, Roger will show up.

They will be there

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:41 pm

This was first reported about 2 weeks ago and is on Pink Floyd's own website so despite what the nurse, er, doc, says, yes there will be a Pink Floyd reunion. This will be the biggest and best part of Live8 without a doubt. I don't care what they play, it's going to be awesome. We can only hope that the boys take a look and do one more tour together with just the 4 of them. It would completely dwarf any other reunion tour.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:20 pm

I thought this was going to be broadcast on TV? If it is, what freakin channel is it on because I cant find the concert!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:56 pm

Ok thanks! I found it right after I posted, any idea when Pink Floyd will be on?? They are in London right? Thats who I want to really see! Just cought the last of Madonnas set, man that last note she hit during "Ray Of Light" had all the dogs barking! lol

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:10 am

MTV and VH1 are both carrying Live 8

but they are airing identical broadcast feeds!

So many stages but no alternative feed.

If you don't want to watch who's in Philly right now for example,
tutt sheff, you can't flip channels and see a different band/different city.

Both of the main music cable channels are showing the same thing.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Really? Somehow I doubt Roger Waters will make the gig ...

DJC

Yes - eat them words. :twisted:

Kicked Ass!

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:35 am

Well, was the nurse wrong or what? Not only did Roger show, the Floyd got an extra 10 minutes to do 4 songs and Roger not only played bass but sang. That was unbelievable and something I thought I'd never see. I agree with you Jordan, Elvis is number one but Pink Floyd comes in a close second. Let's beg them for a tour. I saw them in 94 but would gladly pay the dollars and drive the distance to see them with the whole band. For anyone who missed it, they played (in order) "Breathe", "Money", "Wish You Were Here", and then Roger said, "Here we go" and they finished with "Comfortably Numb." He even made mention of Syd. Quite emotional really.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:36 am

Ok, well I guess I missed the perfomance. I went out and went swimming for a while.... I figured it would be later tonight. Hopefully they will repeat the show.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:18 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:Yes - eat them words.

I'm quite content being correct 99% of the time, as opposed to being wrong and/or pathetic 99% of the time.

FWIW, it is a fact that Waters has been steadfast in his loathing of Pink Floyd since his departure in the 1980s, which was what I based my comment on. Evidently, he has mellowed his opinion, held for twenty years.

DJC

Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:36 am

From what I understand Waters worked with Gilmore on the "Wall Live" project when it came out 2 or 3 years ago, so that was a good sign that his therapy is working! lol

Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:05 am

drjohncarpenter was 34% sure of himself when he wrote: I'm quite content being correct 99% of the time

point is, your 1st post here expressing disbelief about Waters' participation was made due to your 100% ignorance about today's concert line-up even tho announced in advance.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:27 am

damn, that gig by Floyd today wuz unbelievable!!!

I'm glad those 2 got past there BS to do this show...

Hopefully, all past friendships and respect have been rekindled.

I'm optimistic they will reconvene and bring it full circle!

great performance...

now, I could only hope for the original VAN HALEN to get their sh^t together and get ready to Rock and DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY!!! :wink:

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:28 am

This is most likely a 'one-off' performance. No one should hold their breath thinking a world tour will come of it. Waters still has his issues which he put aside due to the magnitude of the Live 8 event. While he somewhat collaborated and worked with Gilmour on the live Wall album and hits compilation from a few years back, he still had negative things to say.

The intense personality differences between David and Roger can be put aside for a stroll down memory lane and the enjoyment of trying to create that magic one more time for a good cause. So playing one or two performances is one thing, but being involved with a year-long world tour is something else, a much different monster. Sort of like the Cream gigs from May in London. They wanted to do it before they got too old and before one of them died, but the joy and freshness of playing together that one last time would get very old if they turned it into a massive world tour.

Promoters have been salivating at the thought of a full Pink Floyd reunion for years, and as time passes, it looks as though the door is closing. Maybe they will surprise everyone, but it is HIGHLY doubtful that Roger Waters will embark on a huge over-blown exravaganza type of tour with his old bandmates. After the joy of playing passed (which would be after a few gigs), then the only real motivation would be for money. That is not a priority of Roger Waters. If it was Paul McCartney, yes he would be out there for the cash, but Roger has other priorities.

The Book

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:28 am

The book you mention is Nick Mason's Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd. Great book. They did indeed play together at one of Roger's gigs. I have the British release of said book signed by Mr. Mason.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:38 pm

It was cool seeing Waters look out into the audience and with a hint of smile, mouth the lyric Gilmour was singing: "It's good to warm my bones beside the fire"
the camera was on him at that moment.

I was very impressed by their set and hope it leads to cohesive band feelings with them to perform together more.

unfortunately, MTV/VH1 interrupted the broadcast during Comfortably Numb and went to commercial break. :?

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:46 pm

Note: as for Drjohncarpenter's pessimism on the thread please realize, the guy has no interest in Pink Floyd.

They are not political enough to hold his attention.

for Doc to eagerly and sincerely join in on a topic of Pink Floyd as several of us here have, and for he to like them, to listen,
the band would need to:

A. tour with Springsteen
B. campaign for John Kerry
C. do the soundtrack of a Michael Moore film
D. all of the above

:lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:15 pm

I was at Hyde Park on Saturday night and for me it was unquestionably the gig of a lifetime. There were so many highlights it is difficult to know where to start, but for me the best sets were delivered by the old hands: U2, Sting, Annie Lennox, Robbie Williams, Madonna and, of course, Pink Floyd.

Perhaps Dr. Carpenter ought to try and keep up with current events before delivering his verdicts, as the Pink Floyd reunion was announced on June 12 in all the world's media. And they were nothing short of amazing. They were the only band on the night who did not bother with some sort of celebrity introduction. They simply let the opening sounds of Breathe fill the air, and everyone knew it was them. Another great touch was to use The Wall's logo to write Make Poverty History across the video screens during Comfortably Numb which is already now, to my mind, the definitive live version of this song.

However, the best reception from the crowd was reserved for Robbie Williams. As soon as he was announced by some ex-Man Utd footballer, the place went mental, and frankly he stole the show up to that point. Not afraid of anything, he delivered the stuff of legend.

I should also mention that I actually found one particular act offensive: no, it wasn't the expletive-filled set of Snoop Dogg (who I thought was very good), or the sad attempts to gain attention swearing of Madonna, Razorlight and Velvet Revolver (who were crap), but that of Mariah Carey. Her diva-like demands for a mic stand and water drunk through a straw held for her by her masseuse went against everything Make Poverty History stood for. Then to watch her thrusting microphones into the faces of the African Children's Choir whilst trying to act the superstar really made me angry. Someone should have told her "you are not in Las Vegas now, love". Awful woman. Hopefully that is the end of her career in this country.

This was definitely the kind of show that comes along once in a generation and I would not have missed it for the world. My wife and I got there at 4.30 in the morning and didn't leave until 11.30pm, and by the end I was surviving on pure rock 'n' roll but it was worth every second - we were able to get down fairly close to the front and it was absolutely packed. A great, great day.