Off Topic Messages

Paul Winchell, voice of Tigger, dies at 82

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:09 pm

For those who haven't heard, Paul died Friday at his home. He was an incredibly nice man, who never turned down a request for an autograph for a charity event. Rest in Peace, Paul. TTFN

Tom

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:20 pm

Tom,

If my son was old enough to understand he would be distraught, he loves the tigger movies.

He believe's Tigger is the one doing the talking...

R.I.P Paul

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:02 pm

RIP Paul Winchell. "T-I-double-G-GRRRR."

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:53 pm

That's sad. Didn't make the news as far as I know.

He appeared with 2 of his ventriloquist dummies in the Three Stooges feature "Stop! Look! Laugh!"

One of my favorite Dick Van Dyke episodes is the one Rob considers taking a writing job on the JellyBean Show.

Jellybean is a smug smartass abusive snail puppet (the star) worn on the arm (behind the curtain) by Paul Winchell.

It's a hilarious episode!

When Rob Petrie leaves the room, leaving Winchell and his puppet to argue,
Rob says "Well, bye, everybody"

and when talking to Jellybean on the phone Rob says, "Hi Jellybean. Put [Winchell's character] on the phone."

There's a pause...as Rob hears a comment by Jellybean...and Rob replies, "Oh come on! I know he's there."

:lol:

those puppeteering jokes always strike me funny

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:21 pm

Actually, I mourn him more for his ventriloquism act with "Jerry Mahoney."

I still have that "dummy."

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:35 pm

no idea what this post is about...........never heard of the man.
:roll:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:11 pm

You're either too young or not American...

http://www.paulwinchell.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/movies/27winc.html

Ironically, the voice of "Piglet" died within a day, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/movies/27fiedler.html

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:14 pm

Sad news indeed.

Guess this was taken a while back:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:15 pm

From the L.A. Times:
Although Winchell's recorded voice is preserved in countless animated programs and other shows, little remains of his hours of on-air performances as a ventriloquist.

That void was highlighted in 1986 when he won a $17.8-million jury verdict in his lawsuit against Metromedia Inc. over its destruction of the only remaining tapes of his "Winchell Mahoney Time" children's television series. Metromedia, which produced the show from 1964 to 1968, erased the 288 tapes in a dispute with Winchell over the syndication rights.

"The thing that was perhaps most painful to me was that in my best days, back in the '50s and '60s, it was all live," Winchell told The Times after the verdict. "All the work I had done in the past, there was no record of it.

"Then finally I had the opportunity to do this taped thing [from 1964 to 1968], and I felt that at last, I'll have some remaining record of my work that future people could see, especially children. Suddenly I didn't have it anymore. It was gone forever."

What gall...! Can you imagine..?!

Anyway:
"Ta-ta for now."
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:16 pm

Is it just me....(part 3).....or do ventriloquist dummies give anyone the creeps????

Tom

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 pm

That's part of the point! :twisted:

(It's not just you...!)

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:21 pm

Tom -

I watched Anthony Hopkins in the Magic film recently.

Now that was creepy !

The doll takes over his life !

Ann-Margret keeps you watching, though !

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:23 pm

That old early '60s "Twilight Zone" episode with Kirk Robertson probably didn't help the image of these "dolls" :!: