Off Topic Messages

Dolly Parton can sing !!

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:40 pm

I just bought Ultimate Dolly Parton - The definitive Hits Collection (my first Dolly Parton cd) and she just blew me away !! She really can sing! Just listen to Heartbreaker or Love Is Like A Butterfly.. terrific !! :P

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Yes, Dolly has some really big "hits."

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:53 pm

with lungs like that she should be able to sing!!! :D

8)

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:47 pm

sam wrote:with lungs like that she should be able to sing!!! :D

8)

Basic biology Sam, the lungs are internal organs. I'm sure there is a name for the points you notice, I just can't think of the word, mental image blocking them, I suspect....uurrgghh!

Oh yeah breasts, I knew it would come.

Geoff

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:46 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Oh yeah breasts, I knew it would come.

Geoff

So would I.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:48 pm

I thought Dolly had only two big hits..............What were they again? :oops:

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:27 pm

Jake wrote:
I thought Dolly had only two big hits..............What were they again? Embarassed

I think you mean JOLENE and 9 TO 5 but there was also I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU and ISLANDS IN THE STREAM.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:42 pm

Lost something in the translation there Jake! :lol:

Geoff

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:22 pm

Was there ever any doubt of her ability? Some of the ignorance of the responses just kills. Dolly is not only a icon on several fronts including hollywood, country, and having her own frickin amusement park, but she also is indeed very talented. Her voice is original and most people that have spoken with her or hell just seeing her, can't help but to be impressed. Mammories aside she is truly classic in every since of the greats.

She is a talented singer, performer, and SONGWRITER and for those that wonder...umm here is a list of her #1's on the country charts!

Joshua 1970
Jolene 1973
I Will Always Love You 1974
Please Don't Stop Loving Me 1974
Love Is Like A Butterfly 1974
The Bargain Store 1975
Here You Come Again 1977
Its All Wrong But Its Alright 1978
Heart Breaker 1978
I Really Got The Feeling 1978
Your The Only One 1979
Starting Over Again 1980
Old Flames Can't Hold A Candle To You 1980
9 to 5 1980(top 3 seperate charts)
But You Know I Love You 1981
I Will Always Love You 1982
Islands In The Stream 1983
Tennesee Home Sick Blues 1984
Real Love 1985
Think About Love 1985
To Know Him Is To Love Him 1985
Why'd You Come in Here Lookin' Like That 1989
Rockin' Years 1991

Not to mention another 29 top 10 singles and 7 #1 Albums!

+++++++++++++++

As far as Tupelo's basic anatomy...when you breathe with your lungs do not have to move your chest?

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:22 am

I'm with you Geno. Her voice is absolutely gorgeous. But you know people discover pop artists at different times. Personally, I have always preferred her wonderfully intimate "I Will Always Love You" to Whitney's bombast, although the bombast has some points in its favor.

As you pointed out she is also a terrific writer and actually used some rock influences in her '70s sound. The opening of her "We Used To" bears a strong resemblance to "Stairway to Heaven". Her "Touch Your Woman" has to be one of the sexiest songs ever to come out of Nashville. And we all know what Elvis thought of her genuinely touching piece of southern Americana "Coat of Many Colors".

Also, Parton did very respectably on the Pop Charts topping the lists with "9 to 5" and "Islands in the Stream" as well as going Top 10 with "Here You Come Again" in addition to four other Top 40 tunes.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:15 am

Personally, I have always preferred her wonderfully intimate "I Will Always Love You" to Whitney's bombast

Can I get an amen? Whitney's version could very well be the worst butchering job on a song I can recall. Dolly's sweet and intimate version was turned into a Whitney screamfest.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:53 am

John B wrote:
Personally, I have always preferred her wonderfully intimate "I Will Always Love You" to Whitney's bombast

Can I get an amen? Whitney's version could very well be the worst butchering job on a song I can recall. Dolly's sweet and intimate version was turned into a Whitney screamfest.

AMEN!!!!!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:09 am

Can't agree that Whitney screams that song. Her vocal is pretty superb, from a technical standpoint.

I assume most of you know that Elvis was interested in recording that song, but it didn't occur because Dolly understandably didn't want to give up any of the publishing?

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:20 am

certainly would have been interesting to hear a male's interpretation of that vocal, especially a singer named Elvis Presley!!!

by the way, Dolly is a talented beauty...

Re: Dolly Parton can sing !!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:44 pm

dennisdee wrote:I just bought Ultimate Dolly Parton - The definitive Hits Collection (my first Dolly Parton cd) and she just blew me away !! She really can sing! Just listen to Heartbreaker or Love Is Like A Butterfly.. terrific !! :P

I'm ashamed to say that I truely love her

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:31 pm

TJ wrote:Can't agree that Whitney screams that song. Her vocal is pretty superb, from a technical standpoint.

I assume most of you know that Elvis was interested in recording that song, but it didn't occur because Dolly understandably didn't want to give up any of the publishing?

Technical?? No doubt Whitney has a great voice, but many interpret that "singing" as great when in reality it is a lot of howling. Many so called singers try this nowadays and it mask the importance of truly performing a song.

Way wayooooo ahhh WINEEEYY WINE yeahhhhhh!!! :evil: :evil: (PLEASE SOMEBODY GET ME A GUN!!!- put this crappy wannabe a pop star asleep and out of its misery and ours!)

There are many great vocalists out there that are technically good...just as there are great studio guitarists that would blow away the greats from a purely mechanical point of view. Too bad it is about as facinating as watching a typist type(in the words of Gene Simmons).

Dolly sang the song with feeling and I look at Whitney's version as a good one. It is respectable but WAAAAYYY overrated. She is not even a 10th the artist that Dolly is in every way shape or form. Matter of fact, from many other standpoints this is also true.

I remember seeing Dolly singing the song on Hee Haw and that is the only way I will ever remember it.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:12 am

genesim wrote: Some of the ignorance of the responses just kills.

Everyone knows that the talent that Dolly possesses is of gigantic magnitude. She is one classy lady who's beautiful voice has to be heard to be believed.

However, it is totally acceptable to talk about a couple of Dolly's biggest assets. She herself has often said I'm the only one I know of that left the mountains but took them with me.

As Johnny Carson once told her...I'd give a week's pay to take a peek.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:22 am

You lecturing me about enjoying life's little perks. :lol:

Actually I wasn't speaking of that, and no from some of the responses on this thread I wonder.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:16 am

genesim wrote:
John B wrote:

AMEN!!!!!

Amen amen!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:36 am

Dolly the sheep?.