Off Topic Messages

"The Innocents" (1961) on DVD at last!

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:34 pm

One of the best ghost stories ever filmed. IMHO. Release date 09/06/05.

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:22 pm

Pike -

Yeah, quite creepy.

Bit of a waste of Oliver Reed, though !

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:13 pm

Yes this is great news. It's long been overdue for dvd release!

Colin: Oliver Reed? I don't recall seeing him in it.

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:23 pm

Pete -

Surely Oliver Reed is the ghostly figure only occasionally glimpsed ?

That's how I remember it, anyway !

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:14 am

Nope Colin, it was an actor named Peter Wyngarde. He had kind of a hooked nose, and a cruel-looking face. Perfect for Peter Quint. When he glides out of the shadows at the window right behind Deborah Kerr - that's spooky!

And Mrs. Jessel across the pond standing in the marshes in the rain - very creepy! (gulp!)

The Innocents and the original version of The Haunting are the two spookiest ghost films ever. Another good one is a BBC film called The Woman in Black.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:31 am

Pete -

I must have remembered it wrong !

I know Peter Wyngarde, of course !

But just had it in my mind that it was Oliver in that film !

Well, it was a long time ago !

The original story is The Turning of the Screw.

So how much of it is just in the mind of the governess ?

Hey - we've discussed this before, haven't we ?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:41 pm

Colin -
Yeah we've discussed it before, but what the hay? It keeps us off the streets.

The film gives a couple of hints that the ghosts are real: 1.) When the boy (Miles) wakes up in the middle of the night, goes to the window and looks around as if searching for something (or someone), then stops as if he sees what he's looking for, and smiles. 2.) When the governess and the girl (Flora) are down by the pond the girl starts humming Mrs. Jessel's song while staring transfixed across the pond. The governess looks in the direction the girl is looking .... and sees Mrs. Jessel standing in the reeds across the pond staring at them.

I believe these 2 scenes tip the scales in favor of the ghosts being real.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:54 pm

Pete -

Well, those two incidents could also be part of the mind-games played between the children and their susceptible governess.

Then again, perhaps that's what a ghost is...... a state of mind[s].

Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:05 pm

ColinB wrote:Pete -

Well, those two incidents could also be part of the mind-games played between the children and their susceptible governess.

Then again, perhaps that's what a ghost is...... a state of mind[s].

Dang it Colin, why did you have to go and get heavy - it's Friday!
But ok, I'll return the favor: what is mind?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:56 pm

Hey All,

Great to see other fans of this great flick. On the subject of the ghosts being real or not; there is also the scene, looks like in the library of the house, where D. Kerr hears sobbing and turns to see the "ghost", sitting a a desk and crying. Camera pans back to Kerr, and when it flashes back to the table/desk, no ghost. Anyway, have the FOX laserdisc and looks great in widescreen. Hopefully, DVD will be in even better quality. 8)

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:27 am

Hi Pike -
What do you think of The Haunting (the 1963 version)?

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Hi Pike -
What do you think of The Haunting (the 1963 version)?

another classic. was kinda dissapointed in the video/audio department for the dvd releae. they could of at least given it some kind of restoration.

while on horror/suspense and dvd, hope they clean up and re-release 'the changeling' (1979) with george c. scott.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:18 pm

Pike -
Yeah, The Changeling, that was a spooky one too! Another one to look for if you haven't seen it is Let's Scare Jessica To Death.