Off Topic Messages

Elvis and Jimmy Dean

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:21 pm

Im on a huge James Dean kick lately, watching the reissues on dvd, continuing to be stunned by Dean's brilliance. One thing tho, I just skimmed Day By Day and on the entry for the day Dean was killed, it says Elvis was witnessed crying when he heard of his death. Remember tho, Rebel had not been released yet. Elvis could have only seen East of Eden. As Rebel was released sometime in early October 55. I wonder if thats a bit of an embellishment that has grown over the years. I know Dean had a huge impact on Elvis, no disputing that. But I really wonder how aware Elvis was of Dean when Jimmy was still alive and the impact of his death. That is cool tho if East of Eden so impacted Elvis like that. btw East of Eden is my fav James Dean movie.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:56 pm

I think it is Jerry Schilling on the EBTP DVD who says that the role in King Creole was supposed to be for Jimmy Dean. He was to play a boxer, not a musician. But then tragic accident happend.

East of Eden is one of my top 10 favorite classic movies of all time.

Rebel Without A Cause, a landmark of method acting.
He is much deeper and older than he appears.

Giant is a bit overdone, but a grand film.

All 3 are highly re-watchable. And I owe that knowledge to EP.

When I read the subject of this thread is thought it was about EP telling the audience to make sure and buy Jimmy Dean's pork sausages. What was that all about anyway?

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:41 pm

I don't think it was an embellishment because Dean made a sensation in "East of Eden" and many teenagers had already elevated him to idol status based on that solitary role.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:05 am

I have no idea if the Presleys had a TV at the time or not, but didn't Dean also do a number of Televison dramas in the early 50s? Like General Electric Theater, and shows like this. Maybe Elvis had seen him on the tele also.
JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:13 am

DOH! I thought you meant Jimmy Dean, not James Dean, I thought there might be an update on the TV show they did. :oops:

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:18 am

Yea I thought he was talking about the sausage maker/country artist at first! LOL I was thinking "Man he sure does make good sausage, so I'm glad Elvis' didnt shoot him that time in Vegas!!" lol Then I read further, and realized it was about the actor!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:27 am

lol you guys are funny! well all his pals and insiders called him Jimmy, and it sounds cooler! :lol:

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:39 am

Well Elvis was quite a movie buff in those days, I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis saw some of himself in Dean. I'm sure many others also did and maybe also shed a tear or two.

btw, my thoughts on the other Jimmy Dean were concerning March 1956, not later in Vegas, I'm aware that one day someone is going to say or might say they've found footage of Elvis on Jimmy Deans TV show. So you can see why I was a little excited - but I forgot I was in Off Topic coz this site is so fast now that you can just jumpa around so quick and forget where you are :lol: