Off Topic Messages

Live 8 tickets

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:22 pm

Just wondering if anyone else here applied for tickets to the Live 8 gig at Hyde Park - I did and managed to win 2 tickets! So I am now going to see 3 gigs in the space of one week at the same venue:

2 July Live 8
8 July Queen + Paul Rodgers
9 July REM

What a week that will be, and fantastic news that Geldof has managed to get all four members of Pink Floyd to appear on the same stage together for the first time since 1981.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:48 pm

Stephen,

Envious isn't in it! I applied but had no Joy. :(

Although around that time I will be seeing Coldplay in Glasgow on 1st July and REM at the KC stadium in Hull on the 5th. Should be two great gigs.

Particularly looking forward to Coldplay. Their new album X & Y is phenomenal and they have to be the biggest band in the world right now. They have the task of following McCartney & U2 at the Live8 show.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:47 pm

Delboy:

I do like a little bit of Coldplay! Their songs are very simple, in many ways, but very effective. Chris Martin cannot sing to save his life, yet his voice is one of those that you have to listen to. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Live 8 now means I shall be seeing 2 bands twice in a week - Razorlight and REM. In many ways REM and Coldplay have a lot of musical similarities. Perhaps REM are a little more diverse musically but give Coldplay time and I think they will branch out.

But of course the real coup for Geldof is, as I mentioned earlier, Pink Floyd. How in the hell he managed to convice all four members to appear together I'll never know. That could be a whole book in itself. I've seen the "new" Pink Floyd, in 1994, and I saw Roger Waters in 2002 (when Nick Mason guested for one song on drums), but to see the classic lineup will in itself be the gig of a lifetime.

But there are still some missed opportunites for Geldof to address here in terms of the lineup: No Bowie, Stones, Who, George Michael, Oasis, Queen, Dumpy's Rusty Nuts or Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (OK just kidding about the last 2). Any thoughts?

Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:24 pm

Stephen,

All were asked! The Stones declined saying they were busy preparing for their own tour but that doesn't kick off until the end of August so that's a lame excuse. Bowie declined as he doesn't have a band together. Oasis declined as they have a show in Manchester that night (that didn't stop Coldplay & U2, Glasgow & Vienna respectively).

George Michael is confirmed and is rumoured to be involved in an octavefest with Mariah Carey. :D

Queen will be doing some sort of satellite link-up.

Not sure about The Who.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:55 pm

Stephen -

You wrote:
But there are still some missed opportunites for Geldof to address here in terms of the lineup: No Bowie, Stones, Who, George Michael, Oasis, Queen, Dumpy's Rusty Nuts or Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (OK just kidding about the last 2). Any thoughts?

Why only kidding with those two ?

I think their zany on-stage antics & off-the-wall humour would add some much-needed colour to the proceedings !