Off Topic Messages

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:59 am

First of all I don't know how R2D2 "laughs"??? Beeps can mean many things, but there is no evidence that I see that makes me think R2D2 got anything but a memory erase.

In IV - Threepio has no clue what planet he is on.

R2 clearly knows which direction to go in the desert and he has a secret mission.

Threepio ignorantly says, "What mission? ...What plans? ...What makes you think there are settlements over there?"

See? 3po

Because R2 knows essentially how and where to track down Kenobi, he wants that restraining bolt removed so to sneak away from Luke's farm.

And what makes you think that Leah couldn't program him? He had a MISSION to find Kenobi...do ya think that maybe Leah would make sure that he carried out the mission? First thing is first... get the droid to where he is needed!!!!

GG my friend you are wrong on this one! :lol:

Though there are some holes in Kenobi's memory leak! :lol:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:21 pm

R2D2 does not get a mind wipe!

C3PO does!

At end of III, Bail Organa tells Capt. Antilles: "Have the protocol droid's mind wiped"

then R2 blurts a smartass laugh "ha" beep at his golden buddy.

Why erase Threepio? - Because Threepio can talk, he'd never shut up.
The Rebellion can't risk that prissy butler droid running his mouth saying things he shouldn't be talking about. If he can't remember something or someone, he can't talk about them.

But R2, who communicates in digital chirps, is a war hero droid - he fought gallantly in three different star wars, so they allow him the "dignity" of keeping his memory.
He proved worthy of staying knowledgeable.

R2 has street-smarts, and a track record of heroics.
Threepio doesn't and they can't trust him to be subtle nor tactful nor discreet....nor brave.

Knowing Droid vs Ignorant Droid is evident in IV

Threepio has no clue what planet they escape to in IV.
"What makes you think there are settlements over there?"
But R2 does know. He remembers everything. He's been here before.
He remembers Tatooine, and Obi-wan and even Anakin and Naboo...everything.

Uncle Owen incidentally says "No, not that one" and rejects the offer to buy R2. He maybe recognized it.
Threepio, he interviews first.
Realizing the protocol droid doesn't recognize him, Owen agrees to buy him. Then buys R2 only after another droid broke!
later Uncle Owen wants both droids to get their memoires erased
when the name "Kenobi" comes up.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:25 pm

After reading a few boards and you comments I stand corrected. I also read a few comments as well in regards to Kenobi "I don't recall owning any droids" line.....

The guy on the board says that he thinks Kenobi was playing along to start off Luke getting into the rebellion. Plus he very correctly could say that because he never really OWNED any droids.

Also what was he supposed to say....Hey whats up R2...how you been all these years!!! :lol:

I don't know about Uncle Owen though. You certainly have thrown me for another curve ball GG.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:47 pm

genesim wrote: I don't know about Uncle Owen though. You certainly have thrown me for another curve ball GG.

I'm not sure whether to reply to that with:

"You've just taken your first step into a a larger world"

or with:

"I have a bad feeling about this."

:roll:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:59 pm

No I do understand it. It is entirely plausible. They were there at the time..and seeing a protocol droid and R2 unit at the same time would have to jar some kind of memory. More and more I learn about the epic and I in turn find it more interesting. That is why it tops LOTR.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:05 pm

A plot point I find fault with now, after the prequels, is in ROTJ.
Luke asking Leia if she remembers her real mother.
Leia says vaguely, she was beautiful, kind but sad.
Luke says he has no memory of his real mother.

Ok, that scene works in 1983.

But today, here's the problem with it:

We know from III, their mother died in childbirth.
How could Leia have any recollection of Padme's personality or face?

Due to the fact in episode II, Padme came to Taooine, spent time at the Lars Farm
and expressed emotions there...worry, sadness, shock...
Anakin told her in the garage how he killed the Sand People...
and then they attended the Shmi Skywalker funeral...

wouldn't that leave an imprint of her presence there, that Luke might sense subliminally as he grew up there?

He piddled around in that very same garage for years!

Luke is actually the only sibling who could possibly, via the Force, via emotion, via history, have a mental image of the real mother.

As far as we know, Padme never went to Alderaan and "left a presence" for Leia to detect as she grew up there.

For me, in the context of all the films, that scene in VI no longer work as written.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:30 pm

Damn GG they are just kids that are not in tune to "the force". They must first be taught how to use their powers.

PLUS How do you know Leah was talking of her REAL mother! You can't blame her because maybe she was never told, and neither was Luke obviously!...or maybe he does.

I can't remember what is said, but I believe he talks as if they have 2 different moms. That would make sense in that context..not biological, but the mother you grew up with. Luke doesn't know it all obviously because he was lost in several counts.
Last edited by genesim on Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:31 pm

you guys do know this is just a movie..................right??

Tom

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:34 pm

Hey movie or not it is my mission for the story to make sense! I believe Lucas had a vision and as the mystery unfolds it truly makes the movies that much more enjoyable!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:36 pm

T1-NC, faithful droid to Darth Curtis, beeped and wrote:you guys do know this is just a movie..................right??

Tom

I think at one time, I did know it was just a movie.

But they erased my memory of that.

:shock:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:40 pm

They only erased my part....but my alter ego just can't let go.

XXX

On another note, I will promote the Soundtrack again though. The extra DVD that comes with it is truly a fantastic way to enjoy the greatest hits of the series while at the same time enjoying the full greatest hits of the scores!