Off Topic Messages

HEMSBY UK

Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:12 pm

Has any of you guys on here been to Hemsby recently, are they has good has they used to be, back in the eighties.
I know the fan club now run the event in Mablethorpe, near Skeggy.
I've been only once to Mablethorpe, but Hemsby, back in the eighties was the best, nobody ever wanted to come home, the atmosphere was fantastic. Great memories.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:20 am

I can't believe none of you guys on here went to Hemsby, I can't believe it. It used to be the best Elvis week ever, they had people like Billy Fury, Jimmy Saville, Freddie Starr, Alvin Stardust, Tony Prince and loads of other star names show up, they also used to have many of Elvis's associates show - Jordainaires, Scotty Moore, D.J. Fontana, Charlie Hodge etc. It used to be one hell of a week, you needed a holiday when you got home, you were so tired. We used to go on the train, and has you neared Hemsby the trains and train stations used to get more and more fans, until it used to be like a football match. Elvis fans came from all over the world, not just England. Moody Blue came from one side of the station, Fool Such As I, from somewhere else and Kissin' Cousins from somewhere else. Absoulutely Fantastic. Then once you got there it was ELVIS non stop, disco,s, films in the cinema, or even on the television in your chalet. Fantastic. Loads of birds, that's loads of women for those who don't know what birds are...., you always had a good time.

Yo Joe

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:41 pm

Hi.....i never did go to Hemsby, but this year me and and a couple of my brothers are booked into Mablethorpe, which has the TCB band as the star guests. We have always stayed clear of these kind of fan events, but this year we have really decided to go for it, and have been attending the various fan discos around the east midlands.

I like the bit about the "birds" though joe.........hope there are plenty in Mablethorpe this coming October !

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:35 pm

You should enjoy yourself, I went in '98 and Glen D. was there along with Jerry Scheff. One thing I didn't like was the caravans, you stay in caravans at Mablethorpe, Hemsby was "Pontins" so you stayed in chalets there. Plus with caravans been on grass, it was muddy, so don't forget to take your wellies, also they didn't seem to have a lot doing in the daytime, nights were great, but daytime a bit slow.

Don't let me put you off, like I say it was '98 when I went, they might have changed it.

I met a bird on the first night, and had a good time.

Enjoy Yourself.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:10 am

Joe,

I also went to Hemsby several times in the eighties and early nineties and had a fantastic time! I also went to Mablethorpe in '98 but haven't been to either since. I think Kelvin Ford (the old fan club DJ) now does something at Hemsby and always has a good line-up.

It's a shame the fan club stopped going to Hemsby as I much preferred it to Mablethorpe. Still, it's got to be worth going this year just to see the TCB Band in a small venue........even if you do freeze in the Caravans.

nb: in '98 I asked Jerry Scheff & Glen Hardin where they were staying and they replied 'in the Caravans'. They've come a long way from the Hilton!!!!!

Delboy

Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:03 pm

I heard something about Kelvin Ford doing Hemsby, I wonder if it's like it used to be. I would love to go again. Like yourself I haven't been since '98 to either of them. I bet I probably know you, I used to know loads of the guys at Hemsby, and Mablethorpe come to that.

I see you are a "Fools and Horses" fan also, Lovely Jubbely. It's one of my favorites along with "Steptoe And Son", both great. Watch 'em loads.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'