New CD: "Rockabilly Revival"

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

New CD: "Rockabilly Revival"

Post by ColinB »

See there is a new CD at number 6 in the Woolworth Compilation chart: "Rockabilly Revival - The Best of the Teddy Boy and Rocker Classics".

In there with the Bill Haley & Jerry Lee Lewis tracks is Elvis with 'Jailhouse Rock' and [strangely] the ALLC remix !

One interesting by-product of BMG's new thinking on Elvis is that his tracks are now available for multi-artist compilations like this.

I have counted 4 or 5 with ALLC on - and some have been highly placed on the chart.

This never happened until last year.

Keep on rockin' !!

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

sam

Post by sam »

Carolyn,

I think it was "Love Me Tender" that they used on "the crooners" set.

8)

R.I.P 01-24-08

In memory of everyones favorite Elvis friend: Sam

From the Members of the FECC FORUM
& The FECC Team

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

It appears that the tide is beginning to turn with regards to BMG including Elvis songs on compilation albums. The “Rockabilly Revival” album is an interesting collection. In addition to the 1950’s and ‘60’s recordings, it also features artists such as The Stray Cats and The Polecats that started to bring rockabilly music back into the mainstream in the early eighties. Another surprise inclusion is “Sweet Gene Vincent” by Ian Dury and The Blockheads. It’s a great track, but not one you would normally expect to see on a compilation of this kind. Of course there are number of Elvis tracks that would be better suited to a rockabilly compilation than the JXL remix of “ALLC”, but BMG obviously feel that the success of “ALLC” will help to promote the album.

If you are subscribed to BMG’s mailing list they are sending out a nice animated email to promote this album that also includes sound clips from the tracks included on the disc. The first track you hear is Elvis’ “Jailhouse Rock”. If anybody would like to receive the email attachment drop me a line, and I’ll send it on.

Joe Lightcloud
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Joe Lightcloud »

Had a look at the CD today, it's a joke. Since when was "A Little Less Conversation" a Rockabilly record, even before they put the crappy mix on it. Must admit, the song did well for Elvis, but I hate the modern music scene. Rap and winding records back and forth etc. to make music. I hate it. I love the original version, but I don't suppose the kids of today would, seems to me, if it's not got a load of synthercised crap on it. They don't like it. Getting back to the CD, there is probably only one or two Rockabilly records on it. If you want Rockabilly get the "Johnny Burnette Trio" bear family disc. Fantastic... "The Train Kept a Rollin" has got to be one of the best rockabilly records ever. Even Elvis's "Jailhouse Rock" couldn't be classed has a Rockabilly record really, Rock and Roll yes, but not Rockabilly. They should have banged some of El's classic Sun Rockabilly sides on it.... "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" or "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" or even the fantastic "Mystery Train"

Joe Lightcloud

You never stood in that man's shoes... or saw things through his eyes....
Hank Williams - 1950

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

I agree that “ALLC” doesn’t really belong on this compilation, but I would guess that BMG see the success of the single as a selling point for this album. Whilst the disc does include some tracks that could be classed as rockabilly, I think “Rock ‘n’ Roll Revival” would have been a better title for the album.

Joe Lightcloud
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Joe Lightcloud »

If I remember rightly, there was "Blue Suede Shoes", I think and Stray Cat Strut, and I reckon that was it. I wouldn't class Darts and Showaddywaddy or what's his name, Ian Dury. Even though it is a tribute to the late great "Gene Vincent".
I can't remember what else was on it, was Gene on it, or Eddie Cochran, I can't remember for laughing so much in the shop. What a joke!

Joe Lightcloud

You never stood in that man's shoes... or saw things through his eyes....
Hank Williams - 1950

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

There’s no Eddie Cochran or Gene Vincent included on the CD. I said in my original post that the Ian Dury song didn’t really belong on this collection either, but I still think it’s a great track

I would guess that this album is a collection of songs BMG has the publishing rights to, rather than a genuine attempt to create a good rockabilly collection. After looking at the complete track listing I also think calling the album “Rock ‘n’ Roll Revival” as I suggested earlier wouldn’t be entirely appropriate either.

There is some great rock ‘n’ roll on the album including Elvis’ “Jailhouse Rock”, Buddy Holly’s “That’ll Be The Day, Jerry Lee’s “Great Balls Of Fire”, and Chuck Berry’s “Johnny B. Goode”, but for every classic track there seems to be another one by the likes of Alvin Stardust, Darts or The Rubettes that simply isn’t in the same class, and doesn’t really belong on the album.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Elvis on a compilation with other BMG artists is a move in the right direction.

I look forward to the day when BMG will let him appear on other label compilations with access to master tapes.

To put it directly - I would be keen to hear how ACE RECORDS would restore the 50's Elvis.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete