Off Topic Messages

JOHNNIE JOHNSON - CHUCK BERRY'S PIANIST DEAD

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:44 pm

For the sad news, please go to the following URL:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/04/15/998555-ap.html

A wonderful player, he will be sadly missed but his talent will live on forever.

Brian :(

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Brian -

That is sad news indeed.

Less than a week ago, I was talking about Johnnie in the Name That Song thread:

The recording session started, with blues legend Willie Dixon on upright bass, and Johnnie Johnson on piano.

There was one problem.

It was still too close to Ida Red !

Pianist Johnson recalls "I changed the music and re-arranged it and he re-wrote the words".

The hillbilly two-step was converted into bristling, early rock 'n' roll.

The new title, with a little adjustment to the spelling, was settled when, according to Johnson, someone noticed a cosmetic by the name in the room.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:09 am

No,this is very sad news indeed...he was one of the best players ever.

Put on the stereo version of no particuler place to go,and you hear a mistake by jj,so he thinks that is the end of that take,so he go"s and plays roll over beethoven,then he hears that berry is still going on with the song....GREAT MAN.

R.I.P.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:30 am

This is sad news. I'm glad someone posted this. Johnson deserves to be remembered. He was a true collaborator with Berry much more than a mere sideman. Berry often based his melodies around Johnson's piano and his guitar licks were an interpretation of that piano. Songs like "Maybellene" or "Johnny B. Goode" may have existed without Johnson but they wouldn't have been the same. He'll be missed.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:37 am

Wow, just this week I was watching "Hail, Hail Rock'n' Roll" and really enjoyed the way the man got lost in the music him and Chuck created. He will most definitely be missed.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:12 am

Very sad loss. He contributed a huge amount to the early Chuck sound. By all accounts he was a true gent too.

R.I.P Johnnie

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:21 pm

Likethebike wrote
Songs like "Maybellene" or "Johnny B. Goode" may have existed without Johnson but they wouldn't have been the same. He'll be missed.

Apparently it was Lonnie who picked out the tune for Johnnie B Goode ( as he did with many of Chuck's tunes)and CB wrote the lyrics ..and from the article on CNN this was Chuck's tribute to the man who gave him his first commercial break- @$4 !