Off Topic Messages

Ten Movies Crying for a DVD Special Edition

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:56 am

I know we have some DVD fans on the board and I know we all get a little frustrated some times when some of our favorite titles don't get the respect they deserve. Here's my list of the ten titles I would most like to fork over my do for in a deluxe treatment. I've limited the titles to already released DVDs in basic no-frills packages (trailer or less). I've not included DVDs on the list for upcoming specials like "East of Eden".

1. "Jailhouse Rock" This is for all us Elvis fans. It's by far Elvis' most famous movie, has a classic soundtrack and one of the best screen performances by America's most popular singer. There's a lot of gold to be mined here. A special edition could include audio commentary with Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller and Scotty Moore (hurry they're all in their 70s). An alternate historic commentary could come from Ernst or Guralnick. You could have a stills and posters gallery. Separate interviews with MM members and Dean Jones (he's still alive right?). And maybe the estate could kick in some home movies for a small royalty- think big picture estate. Get a couple of critics in to do brief interviews on the movie's role in the rock iconography. Remaster the movie from a negative or some pristine print. Throw in discographies for Elvis and L&S and you've got something.

2. "One Eyed Jacks" Marlon Brando's directorial debut. This one is begging just for a quality source print. As the only film Brando directed and as the ultimate cult western this deserves a major studio upgrade.

3. "Sweet Smell of Success" Perhaps the most modern of all 1950s. This is one of the most influential movies of all-time with towering performances by both Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. You can never tell who'd be lining up to help with this one.

4. "The Defiant Ones" One of the cornerstones of Sidney Poitier's reputation and a dated but groundbreaking exploration of race relationships. This deserves some scholarship.

5. "The Apartment" 1960s Best Picture and the last B/W picture to win that award until "Schindler's List". A showcase for prime Jack Lemmon, Shirley MaClaine and Fred MacMurray this was a very important taboo breaker in terms of sexual mores and a Billy Wilder masterpiece. Another that could benefit from the deluxe treatment.

6. "Trading Places" One of the most popular films of the 1980s and one of the funniest. It was kind of an old meets the new as legends Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche' faced off against Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. It would be great to hear Murphy and Aykroyd reminisce about working with these legends and each other on audio track. Cool docs could be made about the place switcing traditions in movies and literature and about the quality work done late in life by Ameche and Bellamy.

7. "Support Your Local Sheriff/"Support Your Local Gunfighter" This would be a great Twofer DVD special edition. You can currently buy them in no-frills edition together in a cheapie DVD two pack. You could really go town here. Garner could do audio commentary. Docs could detail the way the films marked the end of the classic western era and the way Garner's sarcastic sharpie evolved from "Maverick" through these movies to "Rockford". Studio licensing willing maybe you could even throw in an episode or two of "Maverick".

8. "Elmer Gantry" Audio commentary or docs could detail the differences between the books and the movie. Docs could detail the variations on Gantry's character throughout literature plus highlight the lost but fascinating careers of Jean Simmons and Director Richard Brooks.

9. "Last Tango in Paris" This already has a so called special edition which consists of nothing more than an eight page booklet. This is one of the most controversial films of all-time. You could have critic Richard Schickel do commentary. Reprint the text of Pauline Kael's legendary review. Have news clips of all the protests about the movie. Little doc about sex in movies and about Brando's artistic resurgence.

10. "Paleface/"Son of Paleface" The height of Bob Hope's comedic prowess. Conan O'Brien, a huge Hope fan, could do an audio commentary explaining Hope's influence on his type of humor. You do a documentary on Hope's rise through the industry before becoming a tv institution. A separate doc could be done on Frank Tashlin's cartoon like visual style. You could even throw in a cartoon for an example.

All of these of course assume the top quality prints, trailers, tv ads and radio ads. If the "Deathmaster" a movie made for $2 merits the four-star treatment so do these.

Feel free to add any additions.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:34 pm

you put jailhouse rock up there at the top, how about TTWII or EOT, they are crying out for one. i can hear them... :cry:

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:37 pm

I would love to see Special Edition's of:

Raising Arizona
Backdraft-There is a ton of footage not used in the final cut
Elvis-Complete with commentary by Kurt Russell and John Carpenter
A Time to Kill-Just get the whole movie on one side

Those are the ones that first popped into my head.

Tom

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:34 am

COOL HAND LUKE!!!!

Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:22 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Elvis-Complete with commentary by Kurt Russell and John Carpenter

Tom

FECC's "Doctor" John Carpenter? I'd love to see who that actually is one of these days. :lol:

(Kidding, I know who you meant!)
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ten Movies Crying for a DVD Special Edition

Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:36 pm

likethebike wrote:
1. "Jailhouse Rock" This is for all us Elvis fans. It's by far Elvis' most famous movie, has a classic soundtrack and one of the best screen performances by America's most popular singer. There's a lot of gold to be mined here. A special edition could include audio commentary with Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller and Scotty Moore (hurry they're all in their 70s). An alternate historic commentary could come from Ernst or Guralnick. You could have a stills and posters gallery. Separate interviews with MM members and Dean Jones (he's still alive right?). And maybe the estate could kick in some home movies for a small royalty- think big picture estate. Get a couple of critics in to do brief interviews on the movie's role in the rock iconography. Remaster the movie from a negative or some pristine print. Throw in discographies for Elvis and L&S and you've got something.

Yes, good call, LTB. Both "J.R." and "King Creole" have some currency with the general public: why haven't they jumped on this? No self-respecting DVD goes without extras these days, so why the budget-style Elvis releases?

A restored "Viva Las Vegas" on DVD would also tap into that film's latter-day appeal, as well as making the plot flow better, assuming cut scenes were found.

Of course, the DVD of TTWII (the original)is out of print and "Elvis On Tour" is most crying out for the Aloha-style "deluxe treatment", judging from comments on FECC.

P.S. nice list. "The Apartment" was a fave ...

Re: Ten Movies Crying for a DVD Special Edition

Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:57 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
likethebike wrote:

Yes, good call, LTB. Both "J.R." and "King Creole" have some currency with the general public: why haven't they jumped on this? No self-respecting DVD goes without extras these days, so why the budget-style Elvis releases?

A restored "Viva Las Vegas" on DVD would also tap into that film's latter-day appeal, as well as making the plot flow better, assuming cut scenes were found.

Of course, the DVD of TTWII (the original)is out of print and "Elvis On Tour" is most crying out for the Aloha-style "deluxe treatment", judging from comments on FECC.

P.S. nice list. "The Apartment" was a fave ...

I'd love a SE of King Creole - perhaps they could find footage of him singing Danny. Commentary from Scotty, D.J., and Leiber and Stoller would also be great.

If they did it for Viva, I am sure Ann-Marget would do a great commentray for the film - and it could still shy away from their romantic relationship.

BTW: Greg, nice to see that your avatar is back.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:24 am

All great suggestions! One SE I would like to see is one made for "Whatever Happended To Baby Jane", some kind of film historian commentary maybe and any available TV appearacnes by the stars pertaing in anyway to promoting the film would be neat. I have even heard that this was actually filmed in color, but the studio decided to release it in black & white because of Bettes harsh white makeup... but who knows, I dont really beleive that.

I would like a "Mommie Dearest" SE also, maybe with some cut scenes, the DVD that is out is pretty bare bones. I dont really see them doing this, I doubt if there is much of a market for this movie really. But it was always like watching a train wreck, its like you cant take your eyes away! lol

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:51 am

Jeff- "Baby Jane" definitely deserves a special edition. Have you read Mark A. Vieria's book "Hollywood Horror" there's lots of inside dish on the movie including the catfighting between Crawford and Davis.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:57 am

Superman 2 needs work and upgrade.
like the frist superman the movie.

in fact all of the superman needs more work and upgrade.

superman the movie dont need the work because it has been done.
but 2-4 do need the upgrade.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:17 pm

'The Green Mile'?

(Shudder)

:oops: :shock: :? :roll:

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:02 pm

One movie I would just love to see get the "special edition" treatment is the goofy comedy "Smokey & The Bandit" with Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason.

I'd kill to see out-takes and deleted scenes from this film, plus some scene commentary and film tid bits & notes.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:47 pm

carolynlm wrote:Has anything ever been done to make "The Shawshank Redemption" into a special edition? One of my favourites along with 'The Green Mile'....and no, they don't bring back any old memories before anyone asks.......

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, there is a 2-disc SE of this, Shawshank, that came out of few months ago.

Special Features
Audio Commentary by Director Frank Darabont
Documentary: "Hope Springs Eternal: A Look Back at the Shawshank Redemption"
Documentary: "Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature"
"The Charie Rose Show" segment featuring Frank Darabont, Tim Robbins, and Morgan Freeman
Comic spoof: "The Sharktank Redemption"
Photo gallery
Storyboards
Theatrical Trailer
DVD ROM Web link

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:28 pm

carolynlm wrote:Has anything ever been done to make "The Shawshank Redemption" into a special edition?

The recently released SE of Shawshank was absolutely incredible.

Tom

P.S.
goldrecords2002@yahoo.com wrote:Superman 2 needs work and upgrade. like the frist superman the movie.in fact all of the superman needs more work and upgrade.superman the movie dont need the work because it has been done.but 2-4 do need the upgrade.

Simplekins,
Do you honestly think that anyone is falling for the idiot routine anymore?? Why don't you just give it up and post like we all know you can (and have in the past under different names)??

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:47 pm

Tom whats it been....over 2 years now? Man that is a long time to hold up a mask.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As far as upgrades...the first Superman is the only one worthy. I liked the special edition and I think a new 2-Disc THEATRICAL CUT is in order.

Star Wars aside(and it is THE exception), I think the current trend of only remastering Director's cuts are not doing the original the justice it deserves. Case in point.....SLING BLADE!

Though thinking about it, I did like Pearl Harbor. The director's cut actually improved the movie because it cut down the love story and actually added more blood and gore which added to the realism of the attack. Though this case is very rare.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:36 pm

genesim wrote:As far as upgrades...the first Superman is the only one worthy. I liked the special edition and I think a new 2-Disc THEATRICAL CUT is in order.

I would love to see Superman II with all the cut footage restored. There is a ton of footage that was shot for this flick and only a small part of it has ever been seen (on network broadcasts, etc.)

Tom

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:45 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:One movie I would just love to see get the "special edition" treatment is the goofy comedy "Smokey & The Bandit" with Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason.

I'd kill to see out-takes and deleted scenes from this film, plus some scene commentary and film tid bits & notes.

Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah ...! 8) You're right. All that and the original widescreen aspect ratio. There's a box set here in Germany that has three or four(?) of those "Bandit"-films all in their original aspect ratio. Only the first one comes in full frame. I hate it. :evil:

likethebike - Hello ;) and great list though I don't know whether "Support Your Local Sheriff" is really worth a SE. I mean, I saw it on TV the other day and boy somehow it really reminded me of Stay Away, Joe. And right now I don't know what this is supposed to tell me. :roll:

Two films that I personally like to see SE's of are "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and "Mystery Train". Can't find good DVD versions of neither.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:29 pm

see-see-rider wrote:Two films that I personally like to see SE's of are "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"......... Can't find good DVD versions of neither.

The current DVD of IAMMMMW is not bad at all: An hour of deleted scenes, an hour long documentary and a crisp image and improved sound. Sure, it could be improved, but for now it's just fine. Unfortunately, I've heard of no plans for a SE of this comedy classic.

Tom

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:52 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:Two films that I personally like to see SE's of are "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"......... Can't find good DVD versions of neither.

The current DVD of IAMMMMW is not bad at all: An hour of deleted scenes, an hour long documentary and a crisp image and improved sound. Sure, it could be improved, but for now it's just fine. Unfortunately, I've heard of no plans for a SE of this comedy classic.

Tom

Hmmh, thanks for the info. I'm afraid then that this DVD isn't available where I live or that I probably haven't found it yet ... :oops: Probably didn't look out for it for a while.