Off Topic Messages

Cinderella Man

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:23 am

Does anyone know the release date for this film? Judging by the commercial it looks like it's going to be a great film.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:59 pm

June 3rd.

http://www.cinderellamanmovie.com/

Tom

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:32 am

Thanks Tom. With all the talent involved this looks to be a winner! This is also a period in heavyweight boxing, pre-Joe Louis, that's often overlooked.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:57 pm

Pete/Tom -

Well, 3rd June has come & gone..................

Was the film any good ?

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:50 pm

Colin -
I was going to refer you to my other recent post on Cinderella Man, but it seems to have gotten sucked into the vortex.
The film was quite good. The only real negative is that they painted Max Baer as too much of a villian. In reality Baer was a playboy, tended to clown a bit in the ring (he apparently didn't really like boxing), and did kill one of his opponents (he had an incredibly powerful right hand) which haunted him. The film portrayed Baer as an obnoxious jerk. While it depicted his ring clowning and playboy lifestyle, it also made him out to be a bully, and even had him bragging on his having killed one of his opponents. Max Baer Jr. has taken director Ron Howard to task for this inaccurate demonization of his father.
But despite this the film is overall very good and well worth the price of a ticket. The acting is strong, but Paul Giamatti steals the film as Braddock's manager Joe Gould. I predict at least a best supporting actor nomination.