Off Topic Messages

The Great Escape - Special Edition

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:47 am

Last week I watched an engrossing NOVA documentary on the real life events that the film The Great Escape was based on. A team of historians found the site of the prison camp and excavated - and found the tunnels! What I found particularly poignant was that 3 of the surviving prisoners were brought out to the site. My soon-to-be 7 year old son came into the room and when I explained to him what I was watching he watched it with me, and was completely engrossed. After about 10 minutes he asked if it was true and I told him that yes it was, that it had really happened 60 years ago. I highly recommend watching or purchasing this documentary.

Because of the documentary over the weekend I purchased the Special Edition version of the classic 1963 film The Great Escape. I haven't seen the film in years, and I watched about half of it last night. I'd forgotten what a great film this is. What's more, it did the real life story justice.
And they don't make 'em like Steve McQueen anymore!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:18 am

Pete -

You wrote:
A team of historians found the site of the prison camp and excavated - and found the tunnels!
What I found particularly poignant was that 3 of the surviving prisoners were brought out to the site.

For a moment, I thought you were going to say they were brought out of the tunnels !

Now that would have been a sight to see.................

Yes, I've seen the documentary [or one very like it].

Good to read that the youngsters are still interested in this sort of thing !

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Pete,
It was a great documentary and the film, of course, is a classic. There are some very interesting features on the second DVD, many along the same lines as the documentary you saw. This is one of all-time my favorite special edition DVD's.

Tom

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:24 am

I saw and really enjoyed that documentary a little while ago. Oddly enough, it also inspired me to purchase the SE DVD. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, so seeing it again made me realise what all the fuss is about. Classic movie :)

"Good Luck"
"Thanks"
Doh :D

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:36 am

That was the doc on channel five...god the amount of sand they dug just to get to one of them was amazing.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:03 am

I love The Great Escape.
first saw it in '85, rented it - had 2 tapes.

History Channel's History vs Hollywood shows it with a documentary and commentaries about it.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:42 am

I loved in the movie Resevoir Dogs when Tarrantino is describing the true meaning of a Madonna song and he refers to Charles Bronson. :P

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:56 am

Pete -

The Great Escape - SE:

Is there an alternative ending in which Steve McQueen gets away ?

Well, there should be !

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:57 am

Does he don wire cutters? :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:51 am

Carolyn -

Do you remember the weak, ineffectual, bespectacled, little loser of a character played by Donald Pleasance, who went blind ?

It seems whenever there is a character like that he is always called Colin !

Seems I was named against type !

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:46 pm

Carolyn: Colin Powell.
Colin (B, not Powell): Look on the bright side. McQueen lives at the end of The Great Escape. And he does escape in Papillon!

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:56 pm

Peter -

Colin Powell ?

He can't even pronounce it right !

Well, yeah, in real-life we Colin's are OK.

It's the fictional ones who are all the same !

Are you sure Steve got away in Papillon ?

That raft thing looked a little unsteady to me.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:03 pm

ColinB wrote:
Are you sure Steve got away in Papillon ?

That raft thing looked a little unsteady to me.

Colin -
I hear you! I think I would've elected to live out the rest of my days gardening with Dustin/Dega and Freddie the pig rather than risk the shark-infested waters on a flimsy looking sack of coconuts!

But, if memory serves, before the film's end credits there's a bit that says he made it. And the film was based upon the real-life exploits of Henri Charriere as written in his book (Charriere also wrote a follow-up). However, some have questioned the veracity of Charriere's account.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:35 pm

Pete -

You wrote:
However, some have questioned the veracity of Charriere's account

Yeah, and some aren't sure it's true.

I remember reading the book, and it was written while he was still out in the vicinity of Devil's Island [although 'free'].

He was still trying to get back to France.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:23 pm

ColinB wrote:Pete -

You wrote:
However, some have questioned the veracity of Charriere's account

Yeah, and some aren't sure it's true.

I remember reading the book, and it was written while he was still out in the vicinity of Devil's Island [although 'free'].

He was still trying to get back to France.

Colin-
Given the current state of France if Charriere was still alive today he'd probably break out the coconut sack and head BACK to Devil's Island! :wink: :lol: