Off Topic Messages

Classic Albums - Revisited

Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:59 pm

The classic Elvis albums thread reminded of albums that are now considered classics, but were not thought of quite so highly by the critics when they were originally issued. Two that spring to mind immediately are The Rolling Stones “Exile On Main Street” and Neil Young’s “On The Beach”. Any others?

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:09 am

I liked both of those albums when they came out. How about The Beach Boys Sunflower album. A great album that didn't get great reviews or sell very well.

jeff R

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:05 pm

Hi Jeff,

I didn’t hear either of those albums when they were originally issued, but from what I’ve read about both I understand that the reviews were mixed at best when the albums were first released, only for the critics to change their opinions after a number of years.

I have a number of Beach Boys albums, but I don’t have “Sunflower”. I’ll have to get hold of a copy, and see what I think of it. I did like the “Wild Honey” album though. It’s like the Beach Boys take on soul. Not what you would normally expect from them, but a good album all the same.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:15 am

Hi Rockin Rebel,

Wild Honey is a good album. Much of their output up until about '72 was very good. It was so overlooked at the time. Who wanted to listen to music by The Beach Boys at that time. That was the thoughts on many peoples minds then. I always thought that if they had changed their group name that they might have had more success. That's what I thought in the late 60's-early 70's. Kind of hoe Elvis was looked at by the "cool" or "hip" in the mid-late 60's. It just wasn't "with it" to like those performers during those years.
I bought "Exile" and "On The Beach" when they were released. I also bought another fine Neil Young album "Time Fades Away". I still don't think it's been released on cd. Pretty good album, in my opinion.
Fun topic. Hope some more people join in.

jeff R

Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately neither “On The Beach” or “Time Fades Away” have been officially issued on CD yet, but there are bootleg versions that sound like they have been mastered from vinyl copies. I also think “Time Fades Away” is a great album, and it probably fits into the same category as the two albums I mentioned in my original post. I think the critics were expecting Neil Young to record something similar to the “Harvest” album, around this time, but as is normally the case, he had other plans.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:50 am

...which brings me to a question I have been dying to get an answer at:
does anyone of you know what is the status of the proposed box set Neil Young was working on (for a long time)? I know about Neil's erratic nature, but this is frustrating.

And how come, with his incredible & high-profile output during 35 years or so, there hasn't been a proper 2cd anthology released? Of course, there is "Decade", but that isn't adequate anymore since it stops (disc 2) at the tail end of the 70s. And Neil has recorded many great albums/singles/soundtrack material since then such as Freedom and Harvest Moon.

John Hiatt, Lou Reed, Paul McCartney, and many much lesser gods all have excellent compilations, but Neil Young has none... :roll:
btw, Bruce Springsteen is in need of a definitive overview too as the "Greatest Hits" single cd was very inadequate and unrepresentative.

Let me add that I'm not a "compilation worshipper", but when properly done it IS the best way to introduce these guys' music to a whole new generation (we're gettin' old like it or not!) who are perhaps discouraged about the sheer amount of albums available of each artist. Where to start? A good compilation serves the purpose of a sampler, which enables the listener to explore further when interested.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:19 am

I agree that a box set is long overdue for Neil Young. Pretty much anyone who was anyone has a box set. I must say that Paul McCartney does not have a very good compilation album. Wingspan was okay but he is very much in need of a box set.
I'm sure there ar others that could use the box set treatment. Just can't think of any others at the moment.

jeff R

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:50 pm

The Neil Young box set is indeed long over due, and if the box set isn’t going to happen for whatever reason, then the release of the “missing six” album titles on CD would be a welcome alternative.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:09 pm

Hey, I love Neil Young.

Another clasic album from the past is Nilsson Shmilsson. Old Harry was one of my favourites.

:D

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:12 pm

Neil Young - A True Canadian