Off Topic Messages

The Beatles - Torture !

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:09 am

This is for The Doc !

Being broadcast as I type, is a BBC2 documentary on torture & torturers.

One technique explained, is playing a tape loop of The Beatles singing Yellow Submarine [while half-drowning the victim].

You couldn't make it up, could you ?

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 am

"Ito Eats" and about a hundred others could also do the trick.

Elvis + Beatles = Timeless, Revolutionary Music

DJC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:02 am

I also think the "half drowning" bit might have played a significant part.

Any song at all being played whilst someone is being "half-drowned" is gonna still be regarded as some kind of torture :lol:

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:07 am

Torture = RINGO STARR.

nuff said.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:56 am

Only the ignorant diss Mr. Starkey.

A talent no less than Mr. D.J. Fontana came away totally impressed with Ringo's rock-solid backbeat -- "... you couldn't move him with a crane" -- after meeting and playing on Starr's 1970 Beaucoup Of Blues LP.

Ringo could drum. And so he did, in the very greatest rock and roll band of all time.

DJC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Yes, even Phil Collins rates Ringo as one of the best, noting his delicate "fills" as something most drummers wouldn't understand how to do and when to use.

But his vocals on YS were not as inspiring as his drumming :wink:

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:57 pm

Ringo was the perfect drummer for the beatles
and he just recorded a duet with jerry lee for jerrys upcoming album the pilgrim
http://www.jerryleelewis.nl/-

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:25 pm

Honestly, I like Ringo. Whatever one thinks of his skills behind the kit, he added a certain coolness and character to the band.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ringo could drum. And so he did, in the very greatest rock and roll band of all time.
DJC

RINGO STARR PLAYED DRUMS FOR THE ROLLING STONES!?!?!? Wow Doc. Read and learn indeed :wink:

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:27 am

For all you doubters regarding Ringo, Just listen to the fantastic job he does on the Beatles "Rain"

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:28 am

Nice pic, Doc, is that our man doing a Lennon impression? LOL :shock: :D

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:41 am

Liverbobs -

You wrote:
For all you doubters regarding Ringo, Just listen to the fantastic job he does on the Beatles "Rain"

Or even Love Me Do.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:53 pm

ColinB wrote:Liverbobs -

You wrote:

Or even Love Me Do.

Colin:
Which version of Love Me Do do you mean? The version from Septmber 4th, 1962 was the original master (first released by EMI in late 1962) and features Ringo's drumming. It can be found on Past Masters volume one - it was dubbed from a mint copy of the single, since the master tape was destroyed in April of 1963 (see below).

The more common verison (the one on the Please, Please Me LP and Red Greatest Hits CD) dates from September 11th, 1962 and features Ringo on maracas, but session man Andy White on drums. Apperantly, George Martin was not happy with Ringo's drumming on the first recording. When he complied the Please Please Me LP, Martin substituted the 9/11/62 version for the 9/4/62 single version. To prevent further mixes up, Martin destroyed the 9/4/62 master.

The difference between the two versions in noticable. That said, according to those who have listened to all the Beatles session tapes, Ringo was rock steady on the drums.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:21 pm

Mike -

You wrote:
Which version of Love Me Do do you mean?

Well, obviously the one he played on !

You couldn't listen to his 'fantastic job' on the one he didn't play on, could you ? [choke]

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:56 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Nice pic, Doc, is that our man doing a Lennon impression? LOL :shock: :D

Looking at the time period...perhaps it was the other way around.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:08 am

I don't think so geno...

I could be wrong, but that pic of E looks circa '68 in Hawaii!?

I have seen pix of Lennon wearing his tradmark glasses as early as '66!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:37 pm

Now that I look again, perhaps you are right. For some reason I was thinking of the Girls Girls era, but now that I think of it I seen him wearing the hat whenever Cilla first had Lisa in them home movies.

So, me guesses that "before Elvis there was.." will have to suffice on the which came first list. :wink:

Incidently looking at this:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis + Beatles = Timeless, Revolutionary Music

The second part isn't needed for the equation to still be true, but the first part is essential.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:34 am

minkahed wrote:... that pic of E looks circa '68 in Hawaii!?

Anyone with a decent knowledge of Elvis recognizes the image is from his May 1968 Hawaiian vacation. And you are most correct about the chronology of Lennon's glasses, first worn while filming Richard Lester's "How I Won The War" in September 1966. Will some read and learn from this? Don't bet on it.

DJC

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:... that pic of E looks circa '68 in Hawaii!?

Anyone with a decent knowledge of Elvis recognizes the image is from his May 1968 Hawaiian vacation. And you are most correct about the chronology of Lennon's glasses, first worn while filming Richard Lester's "How I Won The War" in September 1966. Will some read and learn from this? Don't bet on it.

DJC

You gotta love the Doc!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:42 am

Love him or hate him, he is a great source for knowledge!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:21 am

Sorry, John's dabbling into movie stardom is slightly interesting at best. It certainly isn't worth seeking out. Though I imagine his eyewear was probably the most note worthy aspect.

Though while we are speaking of such, I wonder which is more popular, granny glasses or Foster Grants?

I admitted to not giving the picture much thought or look. Guess I know nothing of Elvis career after all. :roll: :wink:

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:30 am

What an awesome picture. Were there any bad or uncool pictures taken of our guy from 68, I think not!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:35 am

Genesim, As many have said before me, it's the music that matters!!!!

Who cares when he wore what glasses!!!

Honestly.... :?

:wink:

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:45 am

minkahed wrote:Love him or hate him, he is a great source for knowledge!!!

Thank you for the compliment, you're most kind.

DJC

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:38 pm

:D

Great minds think alike.

Elvis=Timeless, revolutionary music....nuff said.