Off Topic Messages

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:25 am

Elvis Aloha and '68 Comeback special deluxe sets.

Thanks Sam :oops: :oops:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:39 am

jake wrote:Elvis Aloha and '68 Comeback special deluxe sets.

Thanks Sam :oops: :oops:

You're welcome

Jake!! :wink:

8)

Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:35 pm

JEFF d wrote:Tom did you ever get that "Night Gallery" DVD set? If so how is it? I'm thinking of getting it, it has one of Joan Crawfords last appearances on it.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Jeff,
I was all excited about getting Night Gallery-Season 1, when I started reading reviews that were rather critical of the quality of the discs. A friend of mine bought the set and there are some considerable audio problems on some of the episodes. Rumor has it that Universal is producing an updated set with enhanced sound and perhaps even some extras. I'm holding off for a while to see if this is, in fact, true. Otherwise, I'll still buy the old release. What a great show this was.

Tom

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info Tom! I'm still thinking of getting the set, it was really great show. Would they do a rerelease this soon? Didn't it just come out last October or so?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:31 pm

Jeff,
I just spoke with a friend of mine who works for a trade magazine and he said that he had heard the same rumor about a re-release. However, when he called his source at Universal, they said that no such release was being planned. I'm sure that the DVD episodes still look and sound better than anything you're going to see on TV, and they're uncut, so I would say go buy them. I'm going to.

Tom

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:04 am

So far I've picked up "My Favorite Year" and "House on Haunted Hill" the William Castle version.

Tom awhile back you posted a link to an interview with some MGM/Warner execs and they mentioned a special edition of "Blade Runner" was on the way. Have you heard anything more about that?

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:53 am

Here's what i got today.

Star Trek First Contact Special Collector's Edition
Bedazziled (with Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley)
Johnny Cash-Live At Montreux 1994-( this is a good one)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:55 pm

likethebike wrote:So far I've picked up "My Favorite Year" and "House on Haunted Hill" the William Castle version.

Tom awhile back you posted a link to an interview with some MGM/Warner execs and they mentioned a special edition of "Blade Runner" was on the way. Have you heard anything more about that?

LTB,
Glad to see someone appreciates My Favorite Year. I love that flick!! Now, on to Blade Runner. Here's the latest information that I have from a source at Warner: The 3-4 disc "ultimate edition" is history, due to numerous legal/production problems. A 2-disc Special Edition is still in the works and was originally scheduled to street by July of 2005. That date may very well be pushed back as there is no advanced publicity in the works as of yet. ALL of this may change as there are some pretty big internal battles going on between Warner, Scott, the lawyers, the producers, and several others. Trust me, Warner knows how much the fans love this film and they are doing everything they possibly can to get an acceptable version out there.

Tom

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:16 am

Thanks Tom. I want to buy it on DVD but I've been holding out forever because reportedly the existing DVD of "Blade Runner" is terrible because it was one of the first ever DVDs. I am sorry the ultimate edition is out of the picture, I would gladly take a two disc special edition with both existing versions of the movie. I'll keep my fingers crossed for this year.

"My Favorite Year" was one of my top movies when I was a kid. When it first appeared on HBO way back when I must have watched it everytime when it was on. I love the line about "Alan Swan is below us" and when they steal the cop's horse. Today I can appreciate the interesting cast of eccentrics, the look at early TV and of course Peter O'Toole's great work in the lead.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:52 am

I finally went ahead and bought "Blade Runner" DVD last year. I got sick of waiting for some SE, and I was really wanting to watch it again, since my VHS got ruined. I always liked the first version better with the voice over, it made the film feel like a 40s film noir to me. I would def buy a SE if it has both versions on it. Last year I also bought the SE of Ridleys "Legend" with both versions on a 2 disc set and it is pretty cool!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:26 am

Does anyone have any insight as to what the new bonus features are on the "Apollo 13" set? How do they differ from the previous issue?

Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:45 pm

KHoots wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to what the new bonus features are on the "Apollo 13" set? How do they differ from the previous issue?

KHoots,
The main difference is a cleaner picture and two new documentaries. I can tell you that the video transfer is much, much better on this latest version, but (and this truly amazes me) the audio is the same, i.e. no DTS mix. The real noodle scratcher is that the heavily edited (24 minutes shorter) IMAX Experience cut (which also changes the aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 1.66:1) DOES come with a DTS track. Go figure that one out?? That being said, when I compared the two releases on my system, the audio on the new DVD seemed to be considerably clearer and fuller and my surround speakers also got more of a workout. Bottom line, in my opinion, it's definitely worth an upgrade.

The differences are detailed here:

http://www.dvdmg.com/apollo1310th.shtml

Tom

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 pm

Thanks, Tom. I love the movie so much that anything new will be a must-buy, anyway, but I appreciate the updated info.