Off Topic Messages

Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:58 am

Thanks all for your replies!

After The Gold Rush and Harvest Moon will be my next ones to buy and if i like those then i will probably buy all the rest of them :oops: sucker that i am...

And yesterday i have listened a couple of times at the song "DOWN TO THE WIRE" on the Decade cds , great song and that drumbeat is fantastic !!

Have a nice weekend all !

Dennis.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:53 pm

"All 429 of 'em..."

The three Buffalo Springfield albums are well worth picking up, but if you get hooked on those you could find yourself collecting Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young albums, along with the related solo projects and your hobby will suddenly become much more expensive. I don't won't to stray too far away from the topic here, but I would recommend Stephen Stills' early solo albums as well.

Many of Neils' best albums have already been mentioned here, but my own personal list of essential titles would be as follows:

Neil Young
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
After The Goldrush
Harvest
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's The Night
Rust Never Sleeps
LiveRust
Weld
Ragged Glory

Whilst I don't mind the likes of "Old Ways", I've always thought Neil did country better when he wasn't conciously trying to make a country album. Personally, I find recordings like "Oh Lonesome Me" from "After The Goldrush" far more appealing.

One to avoid:

"Landing On Water"- a terrible album.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:51 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
Whilst I don't mind the likes of "Old Ways", I've always thought Neil did country better when he wasn't conciously trying to make a country album. Personally, I find recordings like "Oh Lonesome Me" from "After The Goldrush" far more appealing.

There is actually one song on the otherwise great Old Ways album, that I could have lived without, and that's the live recording of California Sunset.

This song is nowhere near the quality of the rest of the album, and besides that: The solo(s) by the band sucks big time on this one!
Almost unbearable to listen to the fiddle solo... :?

But except that one, Old Ways stands out as one of the (surprisingly) good country cds from the mid 80s, at a time when it was (almost) only George Strait who created great country albums.

Br
Kristian

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:59 pm

Funny little "link" to Elvis, is that on the Neil Young album Old Ways, there's the beautiful song My Boy.

This is not the Elvis classic, however, but another song with the same title... :)

Br
Kristian

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:33 pm

Yeah, and another "link" is that Neil, too, worked closely with David Briggs! It's another David Briggs, though...

My favourite Neil album? Very difficult to say - there are so many great albums. Maybe it is "Rust Never Sleeps".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:44 pm

Agree with rockinrebel! Check out the three Buffalo Springfield albums, the first Crosby, Stills & Nash album, Deja Vu by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 4 Way Street by C,S,N&Y, the three first solo albums by Stephen Stills, Stills Live from 1974 and "Stills" from 1975. You´d probably like the 2cd live album Weld by Neil Young too.

Sincerely MB280E