Off Topic Messages

Tom Jones In Concert

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:13 pm

Anybody see one of the concerts of the tour he's doin' now?

What is the song line-up, please?

Sonny

Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:39 pm

No I haven't, and I wouldn't go see him now. I think he is hopeless, he is a big head. I have seen him on several tv shows, knocking Elvis.
To say he used to be a big mate of the King, and then to pull El' to bits on public tv, when Elvis isn't here to defend himself, is wrong. I used to like Tom Jones's music back in the 60's and 70's, but now he has gone crap. He should pack it in, and be remembered for the good records he put out like Delilah, She's a Lady, Detroit City, Help Yourself and some of the less known tracks like Not Responsible or I Tell The Sea. Elvis said he bought every Tom Jones record, that came out, but I bet if he was still here, he wouldn't buy 'em now.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:31 pm

Hi Joe,

I understand your point of view...

But I did went and see Tom Jones in concert last night sell-out concert in Rotterdam and it was great, to say the least!

It was Tom's birthday (he's 63) and he puts on one hell of a show. It is not to be compared with whatever tv footage you saw of this man.
I'm an Elvis fan for almost all of my life (I'm 37 now) and I know exactly what you are saying, but this man is just one of the best entertainers around these days.

The entire show was a blast. He did a tremendous version of Hi Heel Sneakers and before starting he said: we're gonna do some rock and roll, some GOOD rock and roll, some ELVIS PRESLEY rock and roll...

Believe me, when you get the chance, put aside whatever you're thoughts are about Tom Jones (I did) and just sit back and enjoy. If you can sitback, because the arena I went too got up on their feet at the beginning and remained like that for the rest of the more than two hour show.

It was one of the best shows I saw in a long time!

Best regards,
Sonny

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:19 pm

Sorry for knockin' Tom Jones, you are obviously a fan of him. I just think his music today, is hopeless. I admit I own, many Tom Jones records myself, but since he recorded the likes of "Kiss" and that other terrible record "Sex Bomb" or what ever it was, I just can't do with him... Like I said earlier, I also don't like the way he slagged Elvis on tv. There is no need for that, just because the tv host asks him about his days, with Elvis and what Elvis was like.
Even if the events were true, surely there is no need to tell all the world about Elvis's bad habits etc. Can't he remember the good times.
And there is no need to take the mick out of Elvis's voice, when he talks, saying that half the time he couldn't tell what he was saying.

I am glad you enjoyed the show, happen on stage he is better than he is on tv chat shows, happen he gets sick of people asking him about Elvis, when maybe he thinks they should be asking him about Tom Jones.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:01 pm

just had a thread with concert review here recently.

If someone's interested here's a recent set-list (roughly in order):

1.Tom Jones International
2.Burning Down The House
3.Mama Told Me Not To Come
4.Whatever It Takes
5.Delilah
6.Heaven's Been A Long Time Coming
7.We've Got Tonight
8.I Who Have Nothing
9.The Letter
10.She's A Lady
11.Venus
12.If I Only Knew
-----intermission
13.Black Betty
14.Younger Days
15.Sixteen Tons
16.Working In The Coalmine (?)
17.Holiday
18.Why Wake Up (not sure of this tittle)
19.I'll Never Fall In Love Again
20.Green Green Grass Of Home
21.What Am I Living For
22.What's New Pussycat?
23.Help Yourself
24.You Can Leave Your Hat On
25.Sexbomb
26.It's Not Unusual
---------
27.Hi-Heel Sneakers
28.Kiss

couple of songs are only on stage material so that's why not sure about the tittles...
great set-list and the man was on fire! i don't think no one sings like him these days. Guy's 63 and still giving his all on stage, respect.

To me he's the greatest singer ever after Elvis. He's phenomenal! :)

Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:19 pm

I saw Tom Jones live in 98'........I was totally impressed..he was 58 at the time and man I couldn't believe how much he got into his music, and i was especially impressed with fact that when he sang his older material, it was as tho he had recorded them the week before, the drive an freshness was still all there.........

This was one thing I wish Elvis would have continued to do in his carreer is still have the same drive, but as we know Elvis burned out way too soon..........

PEP 8)

Tom Jones in Ahoy

Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:01 pm

To Joe: Last week I have seen TJ in Rotterdam too for the very first time. I am an Elvis fan, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate other artists, like TJ. Elvis sung with his heart, Tom sings with his throat! He really has a very powerful voice and had improved himself over the years. What really strikes me is that Tom is capable of singing his'old' songs with the same enthousiasm as his new ones. If Elvis had done so, maybe he would not become that bored with his line up.
At least Tom is still alive and the show was great; I also went 5 times to the Concert, and Elvis will be number one for me, but at least I give Tom a fair chance.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:49 pm

OK Lizzie!

Nice to hear from you.
Glad you liked the Tom concert as much as I did. It was really great, wasn't it? How about that fantastic opening of this show? Great!

I also went to the Elvis Concert the Tuesday before. Was great too!

Bye
Sonny

Rotterdam en Amsterdam

Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:20 pm

Hi Sonny, yes it was a busy week wasn't it?! First the concert on Tuesday, Saturday Tom Jones and Sunday the Concert again in Amsterdam.
With Tom, we had great seats: 4th row right in front of TJ ;-)
I liked the opening very much.... Aloha came to my mind!!!
Take care, gr. Lizzie

Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:49 pm

You sure had some great up front seats.
I was seated in the first ring, but fairly close to the stage.
I didn't get the chance to go to Amsterdam. Which one of those concerts was better? Ahoy or Heineken Music Hall?
Don't say Ahoy was better just to spare my feelings...

Bye
Sonny

Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:57 pm

Sorry Sonny.... Amsterdam was much better!!!! If you are able to read dutch you can read the review on my site http://www.loesje.info.
The screen was much clearer and the sound of the Heineken Music Hall was GREAT! The whole building was rocking and shaking over there.
Rotterdam was nothing when you compare it with Amsterdam, sorry!
Any way, there was a rumor that Ronnie Tutt said in the dressingroom that he was sorry they couldn't give the audience more.... They really got themselves a standing ovation!!!

gr. Lizzie

Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:18 pm

Hi!

Nope, you did not spare my feelings....

Anyway, I'm glad it was such a great concert you got to watch in Amsterdam! Just to bad I couldn't be there.
Did you notice that in Ahoy the first few seconds the screen was very unclear and out of focus?
I can read Dutch and I will take a look at your website. To let you know I actually did I will leave a message in your guestbook.

Till next time,
Sonny

Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:33 pm

Tx Sonny.... btw... under recensies you will find something about Tom too ;-)

gr. Lizzie