She should abdicate.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:24 pm

Yes I agree, a great band and everyone should buy a copy of
"Queen Greatest Video Hits" on DVD.

Awesome. :D

:mrgreen:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:31 pm

Hey Sam! What's your favourite song?

I have Greatest Hits 1,2 and 3 on video. I only got them about 3 weeks ago but I've watched them so many times since then!

They loved Elvis and even sang some of his songs in concert - in 1972, they appeared at my University (King's College London) and one of the songs they performed was Jailhouse Rock. On one of their live albums, they do baby I Don't Care so they must've loved that film!

John and Brian both went to Imperial College which is another part of my uni.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:52 pm

We've only got greatest hits Vol 1 on DVD hear. A double set. I can't pick a favourite. I like Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Play The Game, Somebody to Love...
and all the rest....

I have there complete Cd collection in a wall mounted gold set.
Very cool.

:D

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:07 pm

I'm really glad you love Queen, Carolyn!

I've only just got into them since Easter weekend when there was a docu about them on Channel 4 that a mate from my old school told me to watch!

I went out and got greatest hits on cd and vid and have watched it quite a bit since then.

Sam - you've mentioned some fantastic numbers! - wonder what the doc thinks about them.

Queen seem to be extermely popular in Oz!

Queen

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:18 pm

Queen?

Stupid music for Mojo readers.

Everyting about this group makes me want to smoke crack.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:24 pm

I don't read mojo.

Better than old rubber lips, anyday.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:28 pm

I have always loved Queen. I have several of their live shows on video, plus the Greatest Hits collection. Great stuff.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:28 pm

Yes Andrew Queen were/are pretty popular over here.
Isn't there a stage thing happening about Queen? I seem to remember hearing about that a while ago. :?:

Keith Richards, Jr.
Your daddy might give you some crack to smoke.:wink:

:twisted:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:32 pm

Sam-

yeah, there is a musical over here called We Will Rock You. I'll have to try and get over to it if I can.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:35 pm

What surprises me is that over here in England, they didn't really have that many # 1's. - 1975:Bohemian Rhapsody, 1981:Under Pressure, 1991:Innuendo and These Are The Days Of Our Lives, I think.

They had loads of top ten hits though.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:02 pm

Excellent band. Freddie Mercury was an unbelievable talent!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:28 pm

Did you guys like the Queen Tribute. I bought that along with the Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Surround sound DTS. It dont' get better then this. Too bad they cropped the video to make theim 16x9 enhanced :cry:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:35 pm

It might be cropped but it suits my big widescreen tele. They did a pretty good job on it. although I thought a couple of the clips might have been clearer on the Laser disc Greatest Flix. Might just be my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:16 pm

What Do I think of Queen? Well, I like Elton's music very much!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:43 am

HI Andrew,, great post,, I love Queens music have there double cd box set of greatest hits,, i play it a lot,, a favorite?? its like trying to pick an elvis favorite its hard for me to do. I am also a big elton john fan his music is awesome as well pvt me your address again andrew,, i may have something you might like to have, ,chris

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:27 pm

"Under Pressure" with Bowie, Rocks!!!

Tom

Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:53 am

I saw Queen at St. James' Park, Newcastle in July 1986 and they were easily the best band I ever saw before or since. They had the irreplacable Freddie Mercury, a unique guitarist in Brian May, that rare commodity - a drummer who could actually sing (Roger Taylor), and, er, John Deacon. Their music, of course, is unique and instantly recognisable, and not easy to categorise. Were they rock, camp, opera, disco, or pastiche? They were all of those things and more, and are sadly missed. The joke is that Queen still "exist", since Brian and Roger's careers are heading down the dumper without them. It has been said before, but Queen have become their own tribute band.

Two days after I saw Queen, they played the first of 2 nights at Wembley Stadium, and the DVD of the complete concert is out next Monday. I suggest all those who want a taste of how good Queen were buy this DVD. It is this concert that contains the version of Baby I Don't Care referred to earlier.

Incidentally, Queen remain one of Britain's most successful bands of all time. In the UK they have had 9 number one albums, which is more than Elvis' total in this country. All the others, bar the first album, made the top 10. They had six UK number ones, though the last two were without Freddie Mercury. They are:

1975 - Bohemian Rhapsody
1981 - Under Pressure (Queen and David Bowie)
1991 - Innuendo
1991 - Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are the Days of Our Lives
1993 - Somebody to Love (George Michael and Queen)
2000 - We Will Rock You (5ive and Queen)

And I couldn't go without mentioning their unforgettable appearance at Live Aid. A truly show-stealing performance by a great band.