Off Topic Messages

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder?

Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:44 pm

British folks, what's up with this legalization of absinthe business? Isn't gin and pub ale enough to get the job done?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:55 am

A toast...to absinthe friends.

To be absinthe from the body is to be in the presence of the Lager.

If you are not completely absinthe, you are just tardy.

"I don't feel tardy."

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:57 am

Pete -

I don't know what the hell you're talking about !

Colin B

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:02 am

ColinB wrote:Pete -

I don't know what the hell you're talking about !

Colin B

That makes two of us. What the ...?

:lol:

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:00 pm

Colin and Sam -
I heard on the radio/news that the U.K. government has ok'd the legalization of absinthe, the use of which had previously been banned. It was widely reported in the various (U.S.) media towards the end of last week.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:23 pm

OK, I hadn't heard anything on that over here.

8)

For all of us American's who have no idea what this is about

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:04 pm

What is Absinthe?
Absinthe is bight green liquor flavored using an herbal extract. The drink was popular in the 19th century especially in France within the bohemian crowd. The drink is green in color due to the chlorophyll. Due to the drinks very potent nature, it was traditionally diluted with cold water. The water is added through a perforated spoon containing sugar. When the water was added to the drink, it goes from the emerald green color to a cloudy white color. This occurs because the water causes the essential oils from the herbal extract to precipitate out of the alcohol and form a colloidal suspension.

Famous absinthe users include:

Edouard Manet
Charles Baudelaire
Paul Verlaine
Arthur Rimbaud
Oscar Wilde
Ernest Dowson
Edgar Degas
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
Vincent Van Gogh
Adolphe Monticelli
Paul Gauguin
Alfred Jarry
Pablo Picasso
Ernest Hemingway

Tom

Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:56 am

Tom:

I don't know if you have seen the Johnny Depp movie From Hell, in which he plays the detective trying to hunt down Jack The Ripper. I believe that character was rather fond of the old Absinthe.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:08 pm

Hi,

Absinth is also legal in Germany for a while now. It had been band for years because of some reported halicunogenic effects of the wormwood extract in it. Many people were addicted to it in the last and previous century, althouh it's not sure if that wasn't just the effect of the high percentage alcohol in it. Nowaday's the allowed content of the wormwood extract is much lower. In Britain it has never been banned (according to some Dutch Newspaper), but very recently there has been the introduction of Absinth in a small bottle aside some other drink. Just some commercial invention :roll: to be hip or 8) .

If you want to know what it tastes like you can drink the French PASTIS.
Pastis ( for example made by Pernod) was invented when Wormwood extract got prohibited, so the French just made Absinthe without the extract, and that is wat came to be Pastis. I've tried all and absolute no differences noticed.

Pastis is fantastic in summer with ice cold water :D

Cheers

Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:38 pm

Stephen -
I've long been intrigued by the ripper case, and I think From Hell was an interesting and well done film on the subject. If you want to see another terrific film starring Johnny Depp check out Sleepy Hollow!