Off Topic Messages

Anyone familiar with records from the '30's and '40's ?

Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:27 pm

I recently inherited some pretty old 78 recordings with labels like Decca, Columbia, Mercury, Bluebird, and Victor. (Some of the records just list Victor, as opposed to RCA Victor).

Artists include Duke Ellington, Bing Crosby, Ethel Smith, Judy Garland, Cal Stewart and many others. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this period, what these might be worth and any other information that might be available. I've looked on the internet for some info, but I haven't found much besides dates of some of the recordings and a few bios on the artists. Other info doesn't seem to exist on some of the more obscure recordings. Thanks!

Eagle

Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:57 am

Hey Eagle, Why don't you see if anything similar is listed on e-bay? I've had good luck getting an idea of value there on certain items...sounds to me like you've got some treasures there!! Chris

Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:11 am

78's can be worth a lot of money. Try to find some way to transfer them, then sell them. Mint copies of Over The Rainbow are worth tons of money. What Judy Garland and Bing Crosby do you have? Tons of these have been lost. You could have a nice alternate take.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:59 am

I'm afraid most 78's are junk as far as value. I have thousands and they aren't worth much at all.
Most popular artists of their day are worth pennies. Nobody wants 78's unless they are rock 'n' roll or r & b. There are others that are worth money but not a whole lot.
I have a whole bunch, as I have said, if anyone is interested in them.
I have a bunch of Der Bingle, Genesim.

jeff R

Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:30 am

Do a google search for 78 collectors or clubs , boards etc.

You might find that you do have valuable items :!:

Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:37 am

Well Jeff R is right I guess. Though I stand by my comments on MINT copies. What kind of shape are your Bing Crosby? I for the most part like cd's and people have already tranferred them, making the 78's all but obsolete.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:28 am

Some of the Bing 78's are pretty good, near mint. Most are probably average. I'd have to pull them all out to check them, if you are interested. I also have lots and lots of Frankie on 78.

jeff R