Off Topic Messages

Any Ac/Dc fans here?

Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:14 am

Just one question: Are there any plans for a dvd version of the now famous Paris show released on Vhs under the title Let There Be Rock??

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:01 am

Love that concert. My opinion is that Bon Scott gets the shiit end of stick. He is the only lead singer that mattered in AC/DC!

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:11 pm

No question about it. Brian Johnson did well on the first three albums he worked on but after Flick Of The Switch something went wrong. Fly On The Wall is terrible both soundwise and regarding Johnson´s singing in my point of view. The albums with Bon Scott have it all; great voice, great riffs and fantastic songs. Ac/dc - one of the greatest bands in the history of rock! They´re up there together with among others Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. You´d probably mention Kiss as well? :)

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:52 pm

I was first introduced to AC/DC at a friend's appartment, he had an old scratchy copy of the LP High Voltage with amongst others "T.N.T." and "The Jack". I think no sweatier, nastier hard rock music has ever been made. Bon Scott was the embodiement of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll and Angus Young was hilariously brilliant and a crazy talented guitar player. My friend used to put it on his record player in the early hours of the morning on after nights of boozin', bluesin', howlin' at the moon... :P
He used to turn up the volume past the limits of his 120 watt speakers...
Later that year his houselord told him to find another "cave". :D Neighbouring girl students used to knock desperately on his door at 5-6 AM with tears in their eyes... Those were the days... :wink:

I believe the Paris show is available as the 2cd "Let there be Rock - The Movie - Live in Paris" in the box set Bonfire. It's a kick-ass show as is the first cd of that box set, live from the Atlantic Studios. When Bon died, they had one more brilliant LP "Back in Black", a tribute to Bon sung by Brian Johnson. After that they did mediocre albums with always some good-to-great tracks on each of them.

What is missing on the market is a well-chosen compilation featuring all of the highlights (focussing on the Bon Scott-era), thus introducing a new generation to this legendary band.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:52 pm

I for one can't believe that they left of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap off the Bonfire box set. Who the Fuuck produced that one!!! It is a sin.

Brian Johnson and AC/DC, is like Kiss without makeup. They may have a few songs here and there, but they are not classic through and through. Still you have to give them credit for the great songs through the years. For Those About To Rock, Who Made Who, Thunderstruck, Heat Seeker.

I do agree that it was much dirtier with Bon Scott and that rock was done in a way like no other. They are one of the best. Can you imagine seeing a show where AC/DC opens for KISS!!! Well it happened.

I personally love the Let There Be Rock Album. Highway To Hell is one of my favorites. "Let there be sound...." "I'm the NIGHT PROWLER!!"

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:28 pm

Agree mostly with what you´re saying genesim although I must say that we have different opinions concerning what you´t call the greatness of Kiss. :)

Talking about the Bonfire box setr, why the hell did they include Back In Black on that box set?? It doesen´t belong considering the title. Also what ever happened to Crabsody In Blue on the newly remastered Let There Be Rock album? And why the hell did they include Problem Child when this can also be found on the Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap album?? Do the boys in the band really care what ATCO is doing with their classic releases?? How can they possibly name the new version of Let There Be Rock "the original album remastered" when one of the highlights is missing?? I don´t get this and it freaks me out big time! :evil:

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:07 am

Those are some of the reasons why I didn't buy the box set.

Greatness of Kiss, well lets just say KISS was there first(big names that is). KISS was arguably bigger, and KISS was more innovative in HEAVY METAL and Stage performance. Lastly, without KISS I doubt AC/DC would be what they are today. Every form of music has their place. Without the Beatles no KISS, without Elvis no Beatles...etc etc.

That said AC/DC has their place and with BON SCOTT there may have been a different story. They have Back In Black which is bigger than any KISS album...too bad that is their highest achievement and the beginning of their downfall. AC/DC has their fans(including me), and they are up there with the best. Lets face it KISS and AC/DC and Aerosmith are in classes of their own. Though I consider KISS the biggest of the 3, they are still not what they used to be. Too bad fights with band members effects music and makes bands change their style. Still the 3 bands above are ROCK N' Roll at its finest, and I would consider them second generation heavy metal(Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix breaking first). Few have compared.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:52 am

Well apparently they are suppose to be coming out with a new DVD with our man Bon...
Shot by the BBC in London in 1977....Yeahhhhh, Love the 70s,what a great time for music...
Does anyone know when this is suppose to be released??
I was reading it on Amazon a while back,but the release date they had was "2010"..lmao..
I'm hopping they made a mistake..

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:33 am

Suspicious Minds: That´s right, this is a new concert dvd coming out this year. I have seen the footage on Swedish television and it´s very good, classic Ac/Dc for sure with their best line up; Bon Scott, the Young brothers, Cliff Williams on bass and Phil Rudd (what a great drummer!) on drums. Unfortunately it lasts only 40 min. So, why the hell don´t they get off of their asses and release the Paris show on dvd. I mean, look at what Led Zeppelin just did, and that dvd of 99% newly discovered material has a total playing time of 5 hours ++!!??

genesim: I won´t argue with you on this, but saying that without Kiss no Ac/Dc...?? You made me laugh man! :) Hey, it´s your opinion and I respect that 100%! While mentioning others that went before Kiss and Ac/Dc one could also mention The James Gang with the guitar great Joe Walsh (one of my favourites) and Grand Funk Railroad. Another favourite; Judas Priest (1974-84).

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:31 am

MB280E,

Hey I appreciate that you respect my opinion, as I respect yours. Joe Walsh and Grand Funk Railroad were innovators. Judas Priest on the other hand opened for KISS as well and didn't break bigtime for years. Kiss was the first(and last?) Heavy Metal band to break as big as they did. True it is just a opinion, but AC/DC didn't really break till 1980. It took KISS going Disco, for AC/DC to hit with any real sense(having a great album is another plus). The truth is that KISS paved the way for many metal bands, and embarrassingly they are probably responsable for the flood of Hair bands that came after. Kiss was a phenomenon like no other of the 70's(except for maybe Elvis and Elton John). Few could match their stage persona and KISS instantly was a household name.

Ok just my opinion one more time...but Judas Priest?? C'mon give them more credit then that!!

p.s. I believe in memory serves me right Grand Funk Railroad ended up opening for KISS as well.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:45 am

A little AC/DC history for those interested......

The brothers Malcolm (*1953) and Angus Young (*1959) moved from Glasgow to Australia, more precisely to Sydney, in 1963. Their older brother George was a co-founder of the Easybeats and gave them the feeling for rock music and guitar-playing. He helped them found AC/DC in 1973. They were influenced by Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. Born in Scotland in 1946, Ron Scott took over the drums in March 1974. Soon, they were looking for new members, especially a singer. Bon Scott surprisingly managed to impose himself as their lead vocalist. Philipp Rudd (born in 1954 as Philipp Witschke), drums, joined them as well as bassist Mark Evans (*1956).

They rapidly became an Australian club attraction and their albums High Voltage and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap as well as their single TNT came on the market. Their sound, based on tough Rhythm & Blues was first to be heard in Europe in 1976. AC/DC had their commercial breakthrough with the album Let There Be Rock (UK charts number 28) in 1977. Between 1979 and 1981, their albums reached platinum several times in the USA. They sold several million copies of the album Highway To Hell (1979), USA number 22, UK number 10. Their singles Rock 'n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Let's Get It Up and For Those About To Rock rose in the British charts up to numbers 18, 14 and 13 respectively.

In February 1980, their singer Bon Scott was found dead in his car (he had a drinking problem). Brian Johnson, a former singer in the teenie-band Geordie joined them. In April and May 1980, AC/DC recorded the album Back in Black. They sold over 12 million copies of it worldwide (number 3 in UK, 6 in the USA).

Up to the year 2000, AC/DC have sold about 85 million albums worldwide. Their last album Ballbreaker (1995) was a (minor) success too. The singles Hard As A Rock and Hail Caesar rose to numbers 33 and 56 in UK. Their new album Stiff Upper Lip (2000) is their first studio album in more than four years. Today, the band is composed by Brian Johnson, vocals, Angus Young, guitar, Cliff Williams, bass, Malcolm Young, guitar and Phil Rudd, drums. They still rock hard and loud, with their distinctive mix of rhythm & blues and rock 'n' roll. Stiff Upper Lip is a solid album, but as often with AC/DC, most of the songs sound more or less the same. Their fans will still like most of the tracks. With Meltdown, House of Jazz, Give It Up, Safe in New York City and the title song Stiff Upper Lip, almost half the album is above average, on the level of the best songs from Ballbreaker

It's a long way to the top if ya wanna Rock & Roll

:D

Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:49 pm

If you haven't made it in the US, then you haven't made it, in my book. Kiss broke in 1975, by the way.

All this talk is making me want to buy some of those new AC/DC remasters!!

Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:20 pm

genesim wrote:If you haven't made it in the US, then you haven't made it, in my book. Kiss broke in 1975, by the way.

Ha. Over hear we get all the great music. The best from the US, the best from the UK, the best from everywhere but on top of all that we get the best from Aust.
You guys don't know what you've missed out on. You've only had a small taste of what came from OZ with ac/dc, LRB, Bee Gees etc.

:wink:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:35 pm

You do got a point Sam.. BUT you guys didn't get Knunchaku with your Bruce Lee movies until recently!!! Enter the Dragon has been uncensored over here for about 20 years. THe same can be said for movies you guys NEVER got. Like Maniac...Texas Chainsaw Massacre..Last House On the Left..etc. Though with your all region DVD players I guess that could be fixed as well. Funny how the UK gets all the episodes of South Park like 3 years ago. We are just catching on...and it came from here :!:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:23 pm

AC/DC, another one of the classic groups of all time.

You know something guys, I think Elvis would have sounded killer singing "You Shook Me All Night Long" !

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:07 pm

Sam -

Wot about Olivia Neutron Bomb ?

Colin B

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:00 am

Hey Geneism I'm not sure about the movies we didn't get that you mention, they're not really the ones I look for, But we have had two versions af Texas Chainsaw Massacre I think. The latest being an uncut special Edition. :D

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:04 am

ColinB wrote:Sam -

Wot about Olivia Neutron Bomb ?

Colin B

And what a blast she is. :lol:

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:19 am

genesim: Judas Priest; better/stronger vocalist, better guitarists and better songs! Only one problem; they never got around to keep their best drummers Les Binks (1977-79), John Hinch and Alan Moore (1972-76 ?)

Sincerely MB280E